LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
So since I moved to my new pc and new gpu, when the monitor activates I now get a message on the TV of "the instant game response is launched" message popping up. it's quite annoying, I can't seem to work out why it's displaying (didn't happen with my old pc) and how to turn it off. Can't see much online either. Any ideas anyone? Cheers :)

Was your old GPU AMD and new Nvidia?

Soldato
So since I moved to my new pc and new gpu, when the monitor activates I now get a message on the TV of "the instant game response is launched" message popping up. it's quite annoying, I can't seem to work out why it's displaying (didn't happen with my old pc) and how to turn it off. Can't see much online either. Any ideas anyone? Cheers :)
It's because you have the picture mode set to game, and it's normal to have that message.

Soldato

You can turn off instant response under picture settings/ additional settings but i think you will lose VRR if you do disable it so just leave it on it only displays for a few seconds.

Associate
Aha… I’m very glad you asked me that. I just learned (or maybe re-learned) there are different ‘rates’ of cable. Turns out my current hdmi cable outputs 4K only up to 60hz. I’ll need a better cable which does 4K at 120hz. Thank you!
Hmm, so two new 4K/120hz capable cables later and I'm still having dificulty getting this working. Both cables stated they’re certified - but perhaps they’re not.

I have set HDR in windows display. In nvidia control panel am using pc mode, native resolution, 120hz, 12bit rgb.

Not sure why this isn’t working at 120hz. I suspect cables may be the problem but is there anything tricky in the software side I need to be aware of?

Thanks guys :)

Soldato
Hmm, so two new 4K/120hz capable cables later and I'm still having dificulty getting this working. Both cables stated they’re certified - but perhaps they’re not.

I have set HDR in windows display. In nvidia control panel am using pc mode, native resolution, 120hz, 12bit rgb.

Not sure why this isn’t working at 120hz. I suspect cables may be the problem but is there anything tricky in the software side I need to be aware of?

Are you using the right HDMI port on the GPU? I'm sure I read somewhere that only one of them is 2.1.

Also:

Under “Choose the Resolution”, scroll down the options until you see “PC”. There are technically two sections here, “Ultra HD, HD, SD” and “PC”. We need to set the PC to 4k mode in PC mode NOT “Ultra HD, HD, SD” mode.
Set resolution to “3840 x 2160”. If this is done right, you will see under “Refresh Rate” two options: 100hz and 120hz. Select 120hz.
TV should blink and you’ll see an image then click “Apply” to save the changes.
If you don’t see an image don’t worry, the PC will revert the changes after 15 seconds. Double check your TV settings but also make sure you are using a certified ultra high speed HDMI cable. This will NOT work with one that is certified. This is a common issue I saw on the forums.

Associate
Thanks A lot Noxia. Yes am trying to use the resolution from the PC section of the menu. My gpu only has one hdmi, so am using that.

If my settings are all ok, I think I must have fallen foul of two ‘certified’ cables claiming they’re certified when they’re not… not sure what other explanation there is :(

Soldato
Thanks A lot Noxia. Yes am trying to use the resolution from the PC section of the menu. My gpu only has one hdmi, so am using that.

If my settings are all ok, I think I must have fallen foul of two ‘certified’ cables claiming they’re certified when they’re not… not sure what other explanation there is :(

Certified ultra high speed or just certified. Which GPU do you have

Associate
It’s:

HDMI 2.1 Cable 1.8m (6ft) Certified, Stouchi 8K Ultra HD 48Gbps High Speed 8K60 4K120 144Hz RTX 3080 eARC HDR10 4:4:4 HDCP 2.2&2.3

Has the Ultra Certified sticker on it which checks out with the HDMI.org verification app.

GPU is a 3080ti evga ftw3

Last edited:
Associate
Sob… three cables in, and all of them the same issue. All of them apparently check out on the hdmi.org app.

Does anyone know, if it’s a problem with the settings on windows, software side, and not the cable, what might it be? Or is it really just that there are that many “certified” cables out there that aren’t? Or is it soemthing I’m doing wrong on the tv settings?

Could it be anything to do with using a GPU riser cable? (I assume not, but I’m into long-shot question territory now.)

Last edited:
Associate
Solved it… realise I’ve not had the TV’s software updates set to automatic. Downloaded to latest TV Software and all is good. Had read that this problem was a long-standing issue with LG’s software which they hadn’t fixed for a while, but have now. Thanks guys as usual.

Associate
In respect of concerns over burn-in, do people run desktop backgrounds with this monitor?

Not sure if it's covered anywhere in this rather extensive thread (and likely I may have asked this previously but can't find it!). I have been running this screen for a few years now - it's epic - but I have been running it with a black desktop background, minimal number of desktop icons which are also set to disappear using the Quick-Hide feature on Stardock Fences software, the task bar set to Autohide, and the TV set up for the pixel-shift feature to be on. All this in the interest of minimising potential burn in. Am I being overly cautious? During pandemic lock down this was my WFH screen, so it'd be on pretty much 10-12 hours a day, if also doing a bit of evening gaming after work. Nowadays, mostly back in the office, so it's on for 2-3 per day absolute max. Cheers :)

And in other news 120hz - holy moley! Soooo good on this screen (Smoooth... with a capital "Smoo" as the Cat would say....)

Soldato
what distance are u guys form 48'' screen? contemplating 42 or 48
What's your use case? My screen is for gaming and TV/Movies. It's quite immersive for K&M gaming, but I wouldn't use it for general office/productivity and that's why I have a separate a PC for that.

This is the desk in use when my CX48 (wall mounted)

Associate
I use mine for a mix of gaming and work/productivity.

For work and productivity it's simply awesome. I also use Stardock Groupy, and Microsoft PowerToys Fancy zones to help manage the sheer real estate of screen space. Definitely check those out. I also use Stardock Fences, but that's more related to OLED burn-in concerns.

For gaming, one of the reasons I love this screen is that it's not a narrow, letterbox aspect ratio. In terms of proportions and aspect ratio, it has width, but it also has height. For the games I play (flight / space sims), this vertical dimension matters to me, a lot, it's super immersive. With a head tracking device, one could argue it's better than VR in some ways. Personally I could never get on board with narrow letterbox aspect ratios, doesn't really work for my use case or personal preferences, always felt a bit uncomfortable and restrictive, but others absolutely swear by it - so it's very much personal preference obviously.

I have read that a 48 is too big for people who are into competitive gaming such as CS:GO, as you lose detail in you peripheral vision: the bad guy might be onscreen, but he's somewhere off to the side of your focus as the screen is so big and you cannot react as you might on a 24-30 inch: depending on your distance to the screen, obviously. I am about 800-900mm from the screen generally. So I have read some go for 40-42 inch max in this case.

I also play games like ARMA3: does it matter to me if my perihperal vision is slightly compromised? No, it feels just immersive in a great way, although I am not an elite gamer or competitive. Your personal space and setup obviously matters a lot, also: if you've got a man cave / den type of a setup and you're on a sofa 2-3m away, it's obviosly a different ballgame to if it's on your desk (as mine is). So, not sure if any of this helps, but I have spent the last two years with this monitor and along the way have considered the above, a lot. Love this screen, it's awesome.

Associate
My 48” lg has developed a 3” thick vertical band about 4” in from the right hand side which is a shame, not noticeable when using the desktop but in certain games especially when some greys are prominent it’s very obvious! Currys have offered to take it away for repair under the 5 year warranty so let’s see if they can fix it.

Associate
My 48” lg has developed a 3” thick vertical band about 4” in from the right hand side which is a shame, not noticeable when using the desktop but in certain games especially when some greys are prominent it’s very obvious! Currys have offered to take it away for repair under the 5 year warranty so let’s see if they can fix it.
You might get a new replacement fingers crossed !!

Associate
Hello guys have had this Tv for a few years mostly for pcgaming I just read about Bfi Is this a useful feature for me when playing games online or singleplayer?

Back
Top Bottom