LG 50PA650T - Whats the catch?

Caporegime
Hey guys,

Ok been looking recently and this seems to be like a really fantastic TV for the money.

50" Full 1080p plasma, 600hz refresh, 3m:1 contrast ratio etc etc...

Can be had from £450-£520.

Whats the catch? The only thing I notice is that its not SMART or a 3D TV...which I don't care about...I'll be streaming everything to it via my media pc anyway.

Do LG Plasmas suck or something?

Cheers :)
Jake

Associate
IMO yes they do suck. They get image retention easily, and burn in quite easily too.

There are far better Plasma manufacturers out there. Samsung and Panasonic beat the pants off them.

Man of Honour
Nah they're pretty good now. Lots of anti burn in settings you can set up, and image retention that I've seen seem to be almost non visible.

I'd go and have a look at one - try it, and if you don't like it, just take it back. Just because it's LG doesn't mean it's rubbish - but I have both samsung and lg and like them both as much as each other.

Caporegime
OP
Problem is with trying it in a shop is that its difficult to get a true representation of what its like because the signal is split.

Dammit, why did Best Buy shut down :(

Man of Honour
Well check their return policy - most places I've bought from are pretty good. I returned one screen and replaced it with a different screen and just paid the difference no issues. :)

I agree shops aren't a good place to test. I'll bow out if people have had issue with this particular TV, however a lot of the big brands now are on a par in terms of tech - it's just down to UI and features ultimately.

I personally am not interested in Smart or 3D tvs so that's why it's cheaper too.

Caporegime
OP
Nope :)

Used to have a sammy Plasma - and now only have an LG LCd.

However, I've seen a the 50PV350T used in anger without issues.

Useless wench :(

Going to pop into the Richer Sounds at London Bridge when on lunch to see if they haz one for me to look at. If they do do you think they would arrange a proper test of it, say if I brought in a Blu-Ray?

Caporegime
OP
Well I looked at it instore and whilst it's impressive to look at...no way can I tell the picture performance due to the spliced signal.

It looked better than a £1300 Samsung next to it, but worse than a £100 cheaper tv on the other side.

Shall look to see if I can get to see one in a testing room :)

Caporegime
OP
I'm going to Richersounds in Romford tomorrow, he said he can't put it in the demo room but he'll stick a blu-ray player on it and I can check it out so it isn't a split signal then.

Now I just need to buy a Blu-Ray on the way :p

Caporegime
Have an LG 50PK350 at home and 5 PA650Ts at work, can't really fault them at all. They are basic but the image quality is great and they are cheap as chips. Had no problems, whereas 5 out of 15 Samsung plasmas failed after 16 months.

Anecdotal evidence I know, but I'm never touching a Samsung product again. Really didn't think I'd be flying the flag for LG but here we are.

Soldato
this thread is interesting, the 60'' version is quite cheap too, but i cant see any reviews... i only saw poor blacks at night, plus also maybe gaming lag!

it'll be either this or a cheap panasonic TX P50G30, but I have to say that you're far safer with a Panny, they have this 60'' LG at Currys and it looks fine but i am suspicious that i cant find a proper review

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom