LG 60 Plasma tv

Soldato
I have the LG 60PM680t, think it's a currys own model, could well be the same as this one inside. It's excellent, really can't fault it at all. The colours look stunning and it has lovely black levels, perfect for films.

Soldato
OP
YEA my guess is it'll be ok, it depends on what's about in the Jan sales

they say it has great picture quality, but poor features, no SMART etc, it's a basic panel only, this sounds fine to me

because i dont really want to go less than 55'' if i can help it

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I plan on getting the 50" soon, bargains in the plasma dept if you dont want/need smart or 3D

yea I dont need it do i, because i've already got two pc's connected to the web, plus 3D wont last, it's dead already.

i'm only after a good quality tv screen that'll be fine for gaming, cheap and no less that 50''.

i can get a freeview HD tuner seperately.... that 60'' screen might be 800 quid in january, if i'm lucky, best place to get it is in our lour local Currys, because these bargains never get onto the web, they always have cheap screens for sale, shopsoiled boxes etc, i saw two last week, these tvs sell quickly so i suppose there's no need to put them on the web.

the spotty kid said they sell cheap screens all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i just use my gaming rig for Gaming, i only take it online to go to Steam to download, i never take it onto the web

i use this laptop for surfing the web/ research/ shopping etc.

i just need to know if the 60'' LG is still sharp and clear at 1080p, because it might be starting to loose sharpness, i therefore need to see it playing a BLU-RAY.

it wont look good on SD, but neither does my 55'' so there you go, the limit for 1080p seems to be about 70'' so it might be ok

Soldato
OP
i went to Currys yesterday, no 60'' but the 50'' looks ok

the 60'' wont be in till early december and will be £810, it has a very good screen image, but has no Smart or 3D.... WHY SO CHEAP?

Currys are trying to promote Backlight LEDs, normal standard plasma tv isn't popular any more, this means the standard hi-quality 50'' Panasonic plasma will be cheap too, in fact; they had no Pannys on display, they had a 60'' sammy plasma for sale at 800 quid, it looked great, it was this years panel, but like the LG, nothing fancy

they only had LED, SMART or 3D, the spotty kid tried to sell me a LED, but i found a much older salesman who told me what was going on, he said:-

``you'll find bargains like the LG before and after Xmas, we're getting in all the older standard plasma panels and selling them off cheap on purpose, i prefer the LG to all these LEDs, it has a way better image``

i then said what about the Panny i cant see any, he said ``customers dont seem to want it, it's too ugly, they go for the Sammy Smart LED, Because they've seen it on tv, it has a thinner bezel, it has poor audio, the LG is better``

``we do sell the Panny LED, but the really good Panny plasmas only dont sell at all, they have to be SMART/ 3D and have a thin bezel `` i think this is a case of Currys forcing LED on gullible people, rather than the techology being any good, it's an LED sales pitch

that 810 quid is for home delivery, plus taking away my old tv, he already gave me a pre-order receipt or something similar

this is good news for us, because this 60'' plasma is over 200 quid cheaper than on EBAY and will be excellent for gaming !!!!!!!!

what about Smart ? you dont really need it do you, because you already have the internet at home

Last edited:
Soldato
The current Samsung plasmas are really nice btw - if I was going for a plasma id' be sorely tempted to get one. My friend has one and motion wise I'd give it the edge over the Panasonics.

Soldato
OP
The current Samsung plasmas are really nice btw - if I was going for a plasma id' be sorely tempted to get one. My friend has one and motion wise I'd give it the edge over the Panasonics.

yes, but that one will be sold by next week, the LG deffo looked a bit cheap, especially around the back, it didn't have many connections.... both of these did indeed look better than the Panny.

but screen image quality is all you're interested in and all 3 of these should be good enough ( panny, sammy, LG)

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS :- they all have glossy screens, this will show even with just a sidelight on, plus the gloss attracts dust like crazy

Last edited:
Soldato
We have one, it's fantastic. As most, we have many other devices for our "smart" activities, never use the ones that are on the TV anyway. Great picture and I couldn't go back to a small TV, would kill me.

photo-2.jpg

Excuse my crap everywhere :p

Soldato
OP
the 50'' deffo looked ok as a monitor, but over 800 quid for the 60'' looks too much to save by january/ febuary.

i dont think i can stretch further than 600 quid

Soldato
OP
it's 880 quid at currys, i've only got to save another 200 and i've got it:D

but i expect in the january sales that it'll drop by another 100 quid, maybe more; if so i'm quids in :cool:

i have to get it from currys because they'll take away my old massive RPTV, the others wont, but in jan there might also be a Panny or a Cheap Sammy too, because they told me they're getting rid of all their ``non smart.... non 3D plasmas`` they'll never stock them again, so in the next few months is when you'll get a high quality, but bog standard cheap plasma....perfect !

this will last me until OLED are cheap enough, plasmas aren't bright during the day, i dont watch tv during the day anyway.

a cheap 50'' Panny is a better tv, it'll have superior blacks but i might not notice the quality difference, plus i'm not keen on 50'' it's too small.

it looks flipping tiny compared to a 55'' screen

Soldato
Does the panel on these one Buzz? just getting rid of my 350PK one which has a slight buzz on white backgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom