1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG C1 the best 55" for £1300?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Andr3w, 1 Oct 2021.

1. Andr3w

Capodecina

Moved house and my 4 year old 49" sony is looking a little small in my living room.

Looking to spend £1.3k~ on a 55".

Done some research and it looks like the:

LG OLED55C14LB

Is the one to beat this year. TV will be used for netflix/PS5/Sky UHD football and F1!

Anything else I should look at?

2. Chandler_90

Mobster

I’ve got two of the 48” models and can confirm they are incredible. Check out Quantum TV for settings videos if you like to tinker :)

3. Andr3w

Capodecina

Yes absolutely, I generally try and maximize the picture if I can.

Are there any other TVs worth looking at or are all the ones around the same price just not as good?

4. Simmz

Mobster

Yeah LG for that price. Only thing close is still £200 more Sony XR-55A80J and LG still better for games.

5. Joeyuk

Hitman

The c1 55 inch has been on offer for under £1k a few times over the last few weeks. Costco had it for £998 a few days ago but now sold out. Definitely think this can be had for less the £1300 in the coming weeks.

I have the 48” cx which is my 1st oled and it’s been brilliant.

6. Andr3w

Capodecina

Oh wow thanks, i'll keep an eye our for a week or 2 and hope it drops in a sale!

7. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

OLED is fantastic when the colour of the movie or TV or Gaming program is good but there are some issues I have noticed over the past 2 months since I got my C1 65" Oled , First of all Dolby Vision seems to give the best colours :) Steam , Amazon prime backgrounds will make your screen look bad , On the steam background I get these odd lines shooting up my screen in the lower part of the menus , Dont get this on anything else so my guess is the way the steam app background is made , Amazon prime background is not black so you get this odd grey colouring that can look different . example looks like the TV screen has light bleed when it doesnt..... I've tested my screen a lot and on the right movies the colours are perfect but a few look bad , prime exmaple is the first 3 mins of the Green Knight look terrible when he is walking through the dark hall ways , this should all look black but because of the way its filmed the blacks look like a green washed out black instead. Anyway just be aware there are some little issues , look up Greyscale and you will see what I mean , OLED tech isnt perfect.

8. oldestgregg

Soldato

I have the CX55 and the CX48 and have none of those issues that I can see.

9. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

Watch this in a darkroom very important and watch at 5 - 10% and you will see the colour banding lines its on all OLED Screens ! its just some people don't notice it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIJxh9UGyak

10. hyperseven

Sgarrista

It's a YT vid so I wouldn't be using that for any sort of testing. Pity the poster does not link to the source material.

11. oldestgregg

Soldato

Its a compressed YouTube video? Please tell me this is not being used as a measuring stick and you have done this some other way?

12. Radox-0

Mobster

Not going to use the YT video. But yes, do see what you mention in regards to Steam. Its in very specific areas you can see vertical strips, on all OLEDS I have used and gamed on (C9, CX and C1) in varying sizes. It is however very faint and only in those grey areas, did not notice it for well over a year with C9 as the CX and C1 had it out the box so fully imagine most do not notice it and / or its a more recent steam update. Do not notice other issues so overall on balance tech is good, not perfect.

13. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

Good glad someone else can see the slight issue , Don't get me wrong OLED gaming in 4k is mind blowing ! Forza 4 looks sick , And also 90% of 4K movies I have watched look amazing also , just seems to be a few that pop up every now and then and make the screen look bad... most movies blacks look black but one recent one looked bad for me and that was The green knight about 3 mins in to the movie in the black corridors the lines could be seen from banding issues , a couple other examples have been dark morning sky's and also under water..... I'm not helping myself because when I watch these movies I do look for these problems so its kinda my own fault but when you sit back and think LCD have light bleed and grey blacks all the time you can't really complain and like I said 4k Gaming is mind-blowingly good & pretty much all the content I watch

14. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

I have just taken a series of shots on my £2000 DSLR and it will show you clearly the issues when viewing :)

I have taken some screen shots in a dark room of Amazon prime search menu / Steam gaming screen and also LG OLED Screen showcase that shows no issues , so as I said its on selected colour pallets as it doesn't do it all the time but there is defiantly an issue with Oled tech and it clearly being brushed under the carpet.

15. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

Steam menu screen pc - looks like this at the bottom of screen. lines - maybe to do with the backgrounds not being rendered at 4k correctly ?

[​IMG]

16. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

OLED LG Screen test perfect blacks - Screen looks like this 90% of the time.

17. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

18. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

Amazon UK TV App Search menu - Banding in background image - Taken in complete dark room with DSLR [​IMG]

19. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

15% Greyscale Test - Have used a few different Grey screens and all produce the same banding

[​IMG]
    json fixer

20. jasonsony735

Wise Guy

20% Grey Scale test - After this its not noticeable , so its around the darker end from 5% up to 20% you can see the Banding [​IMG]