LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Associate
OP
I just received my M227WD, thanks again elpedro for your review. It is really the only one i've found on the net.

About the monitor itself, what can i say.. It's beautiful, the image from PC is great even on VGA (haven't tried DVI yet), the view angles are very good and the remote control is just the right size. What i don't like is the backlight bleeding on the upper side, and the speakers. But overall it's a great monitor.

Another satisfied customer, I hope LG find this thread :D

Associate
Was gonna go for the 27" version but decided it was too large for my desk so got this one instead.
Utterly amazing, I almost feel guilty that it costs so little.
Anything analogue looks pretty **** on it but I guess that's true of all lcd.

Associate
I'm looking at picking up one of these to serve as my computer and console gaming monitor. The connectivity is really what sold me, 2xHDMI for the consoles and DVI for the computer, plus a scart for the old PS2 is fantastic, especially considering the price. My only concern though is the audio, is there a way to take the audio from the monitor and play it through my current PC speakers? My first thought would be to connect my PC (from the green audio plug) to the Audio In on the back of the monitor, then connect the speakers (Logitech X-230) to the audio out on the side, would that work and sound ok? Sorry if that's a bit of a noobish question, I just want to make sure I've got all the proper cables for when I order.

Associate
I'm looking at picking up one of these to serve as my computer and console gaming monitor. The connectivity is really what sold me, 2xHDMI for the consoles and DVI for the computer, plus a scart for the old PS2 is fantastic, especially considering the price. My only concern though is the audio, is there a way to take the audio from the monitor and play it through my current PC speakers? My first thought would be to connect my PC (from the green audio plug) to the Audio In on the back of the monitor, then connect the speakers (Logitech X-230) to the audio out on the side, would that work and sound ok? Sorry if that's a bit of a noobish question, I just want to make sure I've got all the proper cables for when I order.

audio is alright if you're using external speakers,do not rely on the built in speakers for freeview or even gaming its terrible.if you're using a console you can use your pc audio card to output sound,overall amazing monitor/tv.

Last edited:
Associate
my advice is not to use the monitor's audio output or input,the sound processing is very poor even when using headphones or speakers,what i do is use the M227WD as a display only (which is great) & for audio i use the original source (like ps3,pc) connected directly to external speakers or headphones,the only time i have to use the built in speakers or headphones connected directly to the monitor is when watching freeview channels (which is very rare).bottom line any audio coming out of this monitor is very poor even when connecting external speakers using the monitor's audio 3.5m jack unless you only watch news channels.:D
Ok, I'm not really planning on using it to watch freeview at all, so that's not a concern. At the moment with my current setup I've got my 360 connected to my monitor (HP w2207h) via VGA and then the red and white audio in a 3.5m adapter plugged into my computer so it comes out of my Logitech speakers. I could do that, with a big splitter, with the PS3 and PS2 as well, but that seems like a bit of a mess, plus I have to have my computer on to get any sound when playing consoles. So I guess I'd need some new speakers with multiple red+white and/or optical audio in, could anyone recommend some? Nothing elaborate or expensive, my current ones are only 2.1 which is fine, just as long as they don't sound like a bee in a tin can.

Associate
OP
my advice is not to use the monitor's audio output or input,the sound processing is very poor even when using headphones or speakers,what i do is use the M227WD as a display only (which is great) & for audio i use the original source (like ps3,pc) connected directly to external speakers or headphones,the only time i have to use the built in speakers or headphones connected directly to the monitor is when watching freeview channels (which is very rare).bottom line any audio coming out of this monitor is very poor even when connecting external speakers using the monitor's audio 3.5m jack unless you only watch news channels.:D

I would have to disagree, I have the audio going from my PC, into the TV and out the external 3.5mm jack and its sounds perfect! Definitely no different to directly connecting the speakers to the PC.

I've even hooked up my Sennheiser to the headphone jack and it sounds perfect. I would agree the in built speakers are poor quality, but all the other features make up for this common problem on small sets.

Soldato
I posted in the product suggestion forum and Slackworth replied that he was sorting it out. I expect they'll be at a good price but he didnt indicate. I'd prefer to wait to order from OCUK for peace of mind cos of their customer service. I have posted a chaser and await his response.

Associate
I would have to disagree, I have the audio going from my PC, into the TV and out the external 3.5mm jack and its sounds perfect! Definitely no different to directly connecting the speakers to the PC.

I've even hooked up my Sennheiser to the headphone jack and it sounds perfect. I would agree the in built speakers are poor quality, but all the other features make up for this common problem on small sets.

i use xfi gamers edition sound card & the sound quality from this card is excellent but when connected to the monitor 's audi input jack & out of the monitor's output jack using either external speakers or headphones is not the same,my games dont sound the same.anyone who is used to high quality sound will tell the difference right away,i did.maybe if i was only using my motherboard built in audio then i wouldn't be able to tell any difference but with the creative sound card i can tell right away.

Associate
maybe if i was only using my motherboard built in audio then i wouldn't be able to tell any difference but with the creative sound card i can tell right away.
Ah, it's a non-issue then, I'm just using my motherboards audio.

Looking through some of the other threads here I can't help but hesitate ordering and ask why it's so cheap in comparison to other monitors. I mean the NEC 24WNGX3 one for example, you could afford 2 M227WDs for the price of one of them, with change left over. I'm really not in the know at all in regards to monitors, so this'll probably make someone laugh a bit, but why is there such a price difference between the LG and the NEC, and would the difference be worth it to your average console gamer?

Associate
but why is there such a price difference between the LG and the NEC, and would the difference be worth it to your average console gamer?

NEC is better brand thats why they charge a lot more money but the NEC 24WNGX3 is not necessary better than the LG m227wd plus you have 3 year warranty on the LG so you shouldn't worry about quality,
if you're console gamer like me (ps3) & going to use hdmi for your console then BUY this LG monitor i have no doubt it will beat any high end monitor,picture quality simply brilliant.i love it so much,my ps3 never looked this good not even on our 37" hdtv.really glad this monitor has 2 x hdmi ports. :)

Associate
OP
NEC is better brand thats why they charge a lot more money but the NEC 24WNGX3 is not necessary better than the LG m227wd plus you have 3 year warranty on the LG so you shouldn't worry about quality,
if you're console gamer like me (ps3) & going to use hdmi for your console then BUY this LG monitor i have no doubt it will beat any high end monitor,picture quality simply brilliant.i love it so much,my ps3 never looked this good not even on our 37" hdtv.really glad this monitor has 2 x hdmi ports. :)

I wouldn't say NEC is better brand, especially when it comes to TVs. The reason for the NEC's expense is due it being an A-MVA panel.

wikipedia said:
MVA (multi-domain vertical alignment) was originally developed in 1998 by Fujitsu as a compromise between TN and IPS. It achieved pixel response which was fast for its time, wide viewing angles, and high contrast at the cost of brightness and color reproduction. Modern MVA panels can offer wide viewing angles (second only to S-IPS technology), good black depth, good color reproduction and depth, and fast response times due to the use of RTC technologies. There are several "next-generation" technologies based on MVA, including AU Optronics' P-MVA and A-MVA, as well as Chi Mei Optoelectronics' S-MVA.
Analysts predicted that MVA would dominate the mainstream market, but the less expensive and slightly faster TN overtook it. The pixel response times of MVAs rise dramatically with small changes in brightness. Less expensive MVA panels can use dithering and FRC.

Associate
a solution?

Like i said, previously I used a LG 22LS4D, when connected via HDMI, you could toggle between a PC mode and a Video mode, the video mode looked blotchy like in the photo above and the PC mode was pixel perfect like the DVI photo. I have no idea why LG haven't incorporated that feature in this newer model; made me have to buy a DVI cable having already forked out for a gold plated HDMI :(

My netbook (Asus N10J with nVidia GeForce 9300 GS Graphics Controller) has an HDMI port but not a DVI port. Do you think I could use a HDMI-to-DVI cable (really cheap) with the LG M227WD monitor and get the clear image you obtained with a DVI-to-DVI cable?
Thanks!
:)

Associate
OP
My netbook (Asus N10J with nVidia GeForce 9300 GS Graphics Controller) has an HDMI port but not a DVI port. Do you think I could use a HDMI-to-DVI cable (really cheap) with the LG M227WD monitor and get the clear image you obtained with a DVI-to-DVI cable?
Thanks!
:)

Thats exactly what I'm doing, I've got an HDMI to DVI adapter on my graphics card and a HDMI/DVI cable (it was cheaper than the straightforward DVI cable).

It works absolutely fine, just remember there will be no sound transferred to the TV though, HDMI carries audio and video but DVI only carries the video.

Associate
Hi everyone, after trawling this thread I'm being persuaded by this monitor.

Borat style: "Is NICE!"

The main problem for me is how well it scales down to 1680x1050. I want 1920x1080 for desktop space, but the lower resolution to game on so that it doesn't crush my graphics card.

Does the LG scale down well? I mean, does it look as sharp as 1920? Any info on this would be really helpful.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Hi everyone, after trawling this thread I'm being persuaded by this monitor.

Borat style: "Is NICE!"

The main problem for me is how well it scales down to 1680x1050. I want 1920x1080 for desktop space, but the lower resolution to game on so that it doesn't crush my graphics card.

Does the LG scale down well? I mean, does it look as sharp as 1920? Any info on this would be really helpful.

Cheers

It adds black bars either side of the picture as 1680x1050 is 16:10 aspect whereas 1920x1080 is 16:9. You should be able to disable the scaling to force it to stretch however.

I would just go ahead and try gaming on the full res (doing the monitor justice) or at least shrink the res down to a 16:9 aspect such as 1600x900 :)

EDIT: Just looked at your sig, you will be doing your 4870 a massive favour playing @ 1080p, that card and this res are made for each other!!!

Back
Top Bottom