LG IPS277L-BN Anyone got one? Want opinions

Soldato
I have a 24" BenQ G2420HDBL at the moment which is a great monitor, the colours are incredible and contrast is great the only problem being the TN viewing angles.

I'm looking to go IPS now and bigger I love the style of the IPS277L-BN but am I going to get the same kind of contrast and color? Don't want to take a step down in that regard.

Any opinions or suggestions of other 27 inchers welcome.

Associate
The LG IPS277L-BN is meant to be a decent panel and have less latency than the 23" version. It comes pre calibrated and the input lag is pretty average, not great, not bad.

The AOC i2757FM (or FH in USA) uses the exact same panel but has more settings to change and also much lower latency than both the LG models according to reviews.

I really want to buy an AOC, just waiting for a few more reviews to pop up. It only has 2 at the moment, but they both highly praise it.

It is the clear choice over the LG considering they're both around the same price. 3 year warranty as well. You'd have to be a fool to chose the LG over it.

It's proving difficult to find information on it apart from the 2 reviews though. If I bite the bullet I'll upload a review to Youtube :)

Last edited:
Associate
I bought the AOC yesterday and I'm liking it so far. The response time seem better than my 2 year old LG TN, the colours are very nice. Also the back light is very bright I've put mine down to 25%

I have not noticed any input lag either I am highly receptive to lag as well, playing a lot of action and fighting games with 1 or 2 frame inputs.

Only downside is that there is no brightness control built into the panel. So if you use a xbox 360 or ps3 you will have to use the in game settings to change that.

Also the colour of the monitor is a much darker grey than what is in the photos, which is nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought the AOC yesterday and I'm liking it so far. The response time seem better than my 2 year old LG TN, the colours are very nice. Also the back light is very bright I've put mine down to 25%

I have not noticed any input lag either I am highly receptive to lag as well, playing a lot of action and fighting games with 1 or 2 frame inputs.

Only downside is that there is no brightness control built into the panel. So if you use a xbox 360 or ps3 you will have to use the in game settings to change that.

Also the colour of the monitor is a much darker grey than what is in the photos, which is nice.

That's good to hear (will hopefully be reviewing this myself shortly as well). What do you mean by there being no brightness control built into the panel? The monitor OSD has a brightness control which controls the luminance outputted by the backlight (like most monitors). :confused:

Associate

I'm thinking about buying this soon, would you be able to upload a pic of it in the flesh? just want to see what the colours look like and now you have me interested in the gray bezel as well :)

Would really appreciate it!

Also to the poster above, a review would be great :D

Associate
That's good to hear (will hopefully be reviewing this myself shortly as well). What do you mean by there being no brightness control built into the panel? The monitor OSD has a brightness control which controls the luminance outputted by the backlight (like most monitors). :confused:

Yeah the monitor has a back light control in which you can change how illuminated the back light is.

It does not have a brightness control, which would allow you to change the whiteness of the picture. You will have to go into the the Ati CCC or Nvidia panel to change that or go into the options of the games on a xbox 360/PS3.

Here is a picture of it :

zluaom.jpg

Soldato
But all that sort of control does is start flooding the image by bleaching dark shades so they appear lighter and further lightening light shades (it does nothing to pure whites). This is a monitor that does things properly and displays a well-balanced image. Not a TV for the less discerning user :). If you would like to adjust the brightness distribution on the monitor then have a play with the gamma controls.

Associate
Yeah the monitor has a back light control in which you can change how illuminated the back light is.

It does not have a brightness control, which would allow you to change the whiteness of the picture. You will have to go into the the Ati CCC or Nvidia panel to change that or go into the options of the games on a xbox 360/PS3.

Here is a picture of it :

zluaom.jpg

Thank you for the picture! Much appreciated.

Looks better than in the pictures! :D

Shall be buying one soon :)

Soldato
OP
For anyone interested, I did buy the LG in the end, it is a striking monitor.

Gaming is perfectly fine on it, I don't notice any lag or ghosting, no different to my BenQ.

The picture is fantastic, at first I wasn't impressed but after turning the black level down and the color/contrast up it looks amazing, much better than the BenQ. Highly recommended. I also noticed, yellows look a lot better on this monitor too and it has CMYK colour controls.

Soldato
Skyfall said:
For anyone interested, I did buy the LG in the end, it is a striking monitor.

Gaming is perfectly fine on it, I don't notice any lag or ghosting, no different to my BenQ.

The picture is fantastic, at first I wasn't impressed but after turning the black level down and the color/contrast up it looks amazing, much better than the BenQ. Highly recommended. I also noticed, yellows look a lot better on this monitor too and it has CMYK colour controls.
Post some pics?? :)

I've been looking at these new LG's over the last few weeks, I saw a video on youtube, apparently they was supposed to have an ultra thin bezel, but they are thicker than advertised... not that I would care anyway about that. :)

Soldato
OP
apparently they was supposed to have an ultra thin bezel, but they are thicker than advertised... not that I would care anyway about that
Close up it does technically have a very thin "bezel" as the screen surface goes all the way to the edge of it but the picture behind the surface does not fill it.

and what about the viewing angles?? :) much better than in the benq?
Viewing angles are much better than the BenQ... Infact I have noticed barely any contrast or colour change vertically or horizontally.

The only strange thing about it is that around the edges there is a strange effect if you view from more than 45 degrees or so, not sure what causes it...

Here's a pic of what I mean:
429749855.jpg

One final thing I noticed, in the monitor setup I had the "response time" setting on fast assuming that would give me the best picture. But for some reason this gave ghosting on the screen. When set to normal there is no ghosting.

I'll post some pictures of the screen test program a little later.

Edit: Here's a quick image from PixPerAn. Camera battery died so no more atm.

Photos...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Personally I would say it is a great upgrade from the BenQ, definitely even some "wow" moments. I sold the BenQ to my housemate so I can still pop back and forth to compare the two.

Viewing angles are much better, I would notice much different contrast from the top and bottom of the BenQ, there is barely any on the LG.

The picture "pops" from the LG much better than the BenQ, it really feels more like a picture in front of you than a monitor.

The all round image is crisper, richer coloured and better contrasted. The backlight is very low key, it turns completely off when the screen is black, which is a strange effect but shows how dark it gets. And in general black looks much more black and uniform.

What I would say is that out of the box the image on the LG was not looking as good as the BenQ, I like my screen very bright. I did a lot of tweaking and it went from being an ok upgrade to an awesome picture.

Here is what I did to the settings:

Brightness 100
Contrast 100
Sharpness 5
Black Level Low
Response time Normal
Gamma 0
Colour Temp Medium
RGBCM saturation to 72 individually

And just a tiny boost to vibrance in windows.

Having the gamma and black level low combined with the high brightness/contrast and saturation balance each other out so the image is not compromised at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom