LG IPS277L-BN Anyone got one? Want opinions

Soldato
Awesome pics, I will probally sound like a fashion victim, but the screen itself looks much better than the Asus / AOC models with the silver bezel.

I noticed you have gone from 24" 1920x1080 to 27" 1920x1080, how do you find gaming and say watching a film, does the picture quality seem the same i.e. no blockyness?

Soldato
OP
When I first switched it was a noticeable difference in gaming, movies were fine. After a day or so I got used to it and barely notice the lower density, it is there though.

I wouldn't let it put you off buying one, seems like a nice compromise for price.

I agree with the looks though, that's why I bought this one over Asus/AOC, silver just didn't go with anything in my room lol.

Soldato
OP
I'll take a few photos of the screen with all black when I get home today. I'll see if I can take a couple of the BenQ doing the same too just for reference.

Technically the BenQ probably has better response time, going by the specs but I personally noticed no difference in the response or ghosting, only the problem I fixed above with the "fast" response time setting.

It's also possible that the BenQ is brighter, but it may just be my settings, either way the extra brightness only washes out the colours and glares a lot so not something I would consider "better".

Edit: I forgot to mention, the only thing that is probably better is the stand itself, at least for stability. The stand on the LG is just like the stand on my LG TV. It is a little bouncier than most stands.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I took a shot of both monitors with the same exposure settings (can be seen below). As you can see, the backlight on the LG seems to mainly come in at the bottom left, whereas the BenQ is all over. It was difficult to get exactly the same lighting in each room but they are very similar, the white/yellow light on the LG is a bit of reflection from the wall.

BenQ G2420HDBL

And a small side by side:

Exposure settings:

Last edited:
Associate
Test my configuration mate:

Brightness 100
Contrast 85 (100 for gaming)
Sharpness 7
Black Level Low
Response time Normal
Gamma 2 (it's the "darker" gamma that you can set)
Colour Temp Medium
RGBCM saturation to 72 individually (excep blue & cian, set to 68)

NVIDIA DRIVERS:

Brightness / Contrast: 50% (Default)
Gamma: 0,85
Digital Vibrance: 55%

test it ;)

Associate
Ive recently took delivery of one of these monitors and I was blown away by it until I turned it on. First thing i noticed was the huge spot of white light in the bottom left hand corner which is super visible in movies and games. Colors are lifeless compared to my 3 year old 23" flatron with cathode back light. Ive tried about 30 different calibrations with the monitors own settings and through nvidia control panel but it still just looks dull.
One of the main points of this monitors advertising was the 'real life' color it reproduces. Blacks are grey, not me being picky grey, they are light grey. Even my girlfriend notices and shes thick with anything like this. It's for want of a better word, utter crap. I will be returning.

There must be other people who agree with how bad its backlight is, its proper unacceptable.

Associate
Ive recently took delivery of one of these monitors and I was blown away by it until I turned it on. First thing i noticed was the huge spot of white light in the bottom left hand corner which is super visible in movies and games. Colors are lifeless compared to my 3 year old 23" flatron with cathode back light. Ive tried about 30 different calibrations with the monitors own settings and through nvidia control panel but it still just looks dull.
One of the main points of this monitors advertising was the 'real life' color it reproduces. Blacks are grey, not me being picky grey, they are light grey. Even my girlfriend notices and shes thick with anything like this. It's for want of a better word, utter crap. I will be returning.

There must be other people who agree with how bad its backlight is, its proper unacceptable.

Ordered one of these and it just arrived yesterday. I was blown away by it, don't know how anybody can say 1080p on a 27" is rubbish, because it isn't at all. The screen is brilliant and colours are amazing, images really pop out of the screen.

I will agree with you on the backlight issue. Blacks are not 100% black. I haven't really fiddled with the settings yet but am worried that this is just the way the monitor is....

Also has some buzzing, not sure why...and I think I have a dead pixel in top left which is quite frustrating.

Overall though I think it's an amazing monitor, don't really have any serious complaints! Will probably keep it and not return.

Soldato
OP

Did you try the settings I posted in the posts above? I can only imagine there is something wrong with your monitor or your settings as blacks are very good for me.

The three major tips I would give to make sure this looks at its best would be to make sure your black level is set to low, increase the colour saturation levels to 70+ individually and increase digital vibrance in windows just a tad.

You guys found a way to disable the Dynamic Contrast on this LG?

I have not noticed any dynamic contrast...It's usually something that looks pretty obvious.

Associate
Well , i got this monitor for fun, since as we speak i am in Japan for a business trip.
The damage went for a 29000 Jap. Yen, minus the local consumer tax (5%) since as a foreigner i can purchase electronic stuff tax-free.
That make us a 27500 Jap. Yen equals to a dirty cheap 229 € , for a 27 inches IPS monitor!!!
I said , what the hell since it's design is quite awesome, go for it and now is siting in my hotel's room connected to my HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook via Hdmi port.

mynewlgtoy.jpg

Out of the box the image was totally crap , i was about to throw the panel from my 56th floor room down to the busy street and most probably harm those cute girls.

img0689sv.jpg

Google'd about the particular display model sets and hit your awesome forum , followed the advice regarding the calibration and here we go

1. Excellent cut throat blacks
2. Brilliant colors
3. Extremely nice white's

Ok , Lg's new 27th incher cannot compare in any term with my back home 1000 Euro HP ZR30w S-IPS , but oh well you can buy 5 of them at the same price tag , you can enjoy a tremendous nice design on your desk , very light , energy saver , and also bright colors , blacks and white's .

Highly recommended for it's price tag and design i personal wait for the new higher res panels to be really impressed.

Cheers all and i really appreciate you help.

Soldato
I dont often post but I saw this thread and wanted to comment,

I purchased one of these LG's yesterday and wow! I'm so impressed!! It was a replacment for a ntech branded 22" 1080p screen but at 22 inches, I found my eyes were strained with smaller text etc.

it looks amazing and I havent touched any settings yet but I wanted to post my thanx at you sharing yours skyfall as yours are the only ones I've been able to find so I'll have a play in a bit :)

Back
Top Bottom