LG1980U Mini Review

Soldato
Hi all I had a chance to play with the LG 1980U today and all I can say is Im in love.

Image005.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics as its done on my phone. The screen seems massive, but the overall size of the TFT looks not much bigger than the LG 1720B dew to the bezel being quite thin. Picture wise its top notch. Next to the LG 1720B and Samsung 172 it looks the same quality wize. Viewing angles seemed good, but seemed brighter if looked slightly down on (2-3%) and not flush with eyes as then its darker. The panel does not have any veriations in brightness throughout the screen unlike some veiwsonics I've seen. Although I cant tell much differance between this and the 1720B I find the blacks darker and seems to have more contrasts between light and dark. One person noted that the 1720B seemed to have stronger reds and 1980U was not as strong colour wize but i cant tell much. There was no blurring on DVDs or dead pixels. Didn’t have a chance to play games on it.

The controls were a bit fiddly as they are under the monitor and seem to be heat sensitive type. The on off button was annoying too as it was so sensitive it would turn on/off the monitor when you would move it about. But these are only small gripes.

I was impressed how you can move this TFT about – you can have it virtually any position you like even flat on the table!! You can also adjust hight from high to as low as touching the table.

Image008.jpg

Image010.jpg

Id give this TFT 9/10 only the buttons letting it down

Man of Honour
yeah thats very nice. that and tha 1780U are lovely TFT's :) can you add some comments sometime on performance in DVD's, colour reproduction, viewing angles, games, difference in quality if any between DVI and VGA

and most importantly some comparisons with your other TFTs :D??

Soldato
Originally posted by Baddass
yeah thats very nice. that and tha 1780U are lovely TFT's :) can you add some comments sometime on performance in DVD's, colour reproduction, viewing angles, games, difference in quality if any between DVI and VGA

ha ha! took my advice then, you gonna add to sticky or not (if vegetarian allows you to of course);) :D

Soldato
OP

I will try and post some more views when I get back home tonight. :D

Soldato

Mine is due friday ,and i have some news regarding dvds ,and games my mate has got his and i have to say WOW ! dvd s and games rock like Jimmi Hendrix on acid ! or in english its awesome i watched about 15 mins of the day after tomorrow and a few snips of star wars the trilogy box set ,it was better than my sony 28 inch in the room honest ! The game was ***2004 and it was like watching something out odf a sci-fi film colours were super and no ghosting at all...

Soldato
Vegetarian, I seem to remember reading something about the screen adjusting itself when you rotate it 90 degrees as you have in your last picture. Is this not the case? Or only when you have the DVI cable plugged in.

Associate
wouldnt mind hearing how its runs games, especially stuff like half-life2 when theres a lot of action on screen on the more demanding scenes...

Also can you adjustment the height for differing eye levels etc

Man of Honour
Jamjar, you said your mate had played a game on it, something 2004, but it was stared out.......which game was it?

EDIT: also added loads of info on this TFT to the sticky :)

Associate
I should get my today, just shame it not for me :D

Has any one got info L1980Q or L1981Q Both offering 8ms

Looks like L1981Q has different power button. One that does not hang down.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Big Chris
What's all this about then?

they are planned variations of the LG1980U afaik, which dont use the 12ms panel it uses now, but instead use the 8ms panel as found in the Hyundai L90D+ and the new Samsung 19inch model too. They won't be drastically different, just a change in the panel so ppl think "oooowww, a faster panel!" :)

Back
Top Bottom