LGA775 board..

Associate
Gonna be building a computer soon for a friend and hes wants to spend about £100 - £150 on a motherboard. Can anyone recommend me a decent board? It can be Crossfire or SLi.

Man of Honour
Overclocking? Number of drives (IDE/SATA)? Any specific features (like Firewire), upgrade issues (1333 FSB/Quad core support/memory slots)?

What is the CPU?

Soldato
c0caine said:
Gonna be building a computer soon for a friend and hes wants to spend about £100 - £150 on a motherboard. Can anyone recommend me a decent board? It can be Crossfire or SLi.

Asus P5B Deluxe or Gigabyte DS3 (not dual gpu though) reccomended for the 6300 and 6400's - both very good boards, and highly reccomended on here, i have the asus

Asus P5W DH or the Gig. DS4 for 6600's and above

the evga 680i boards are poo accordng to various people on here, go for the bfg's

Associate
OP
Tetras said:
Overclocking? Number of drives (IDE/SATA)? Any specific features (like Firewire), upgrade issues (1333 FSB/Quad core support/memory slots)?

What is the CPU?

He said he wants it to be able to support quad core because hes just gonna buy a low end cpu for now then upgrade later.

Associate
c0caine said:
He said he wants it to be able to support quad core because hes just gonna buy a low end cpu for now then upgrade later.

I have an idea. The next time you are cutting his bread into soldiers for him, why don't you ask him exactly what he wants to do with the new system? Or perhaps you might suggest that he gets the machine built by a friend who knows about these things so that he doesn't have to rely on an ad hoc committee on these threads to choose the components?

Caporegime
Leporello said:
I have an idea. The next time you are cutting his bread into soldiers for him, why don't you ask him exactly what he wants to do with the new system? Or perhaps you might suggest that he gets the machine built by a friend who knows about these things so that he doesn't have to rely on an ad hoc committee on these threads to choose the components?

thats a bit harsh, he's only asking for some advice. in the same wasted space you spent offering negative opinions above, you could have actually input something useful.

Id run with a DS3, P5NE-SLi, or the new ABit Fatal1ty which will be same chipset as the P5NE-SLi

Soldato
hardc0re_tid said:
Asus P5B Deluxe or Gigabyte DS3 (not dual gpu though) reccomended for the 6300 and 6400's - both very good boards, and highly reccomended on here, i have the asus

Asus P5W DH or the Gig. DS4 for 6600's and above

the evga 680i boards are poo accordng to various people on here, go for the bfg's
Does it really matter what board goes with what CPU ? as i know someone who has a P5B board with a E6600 CPU and it works a treat ? :confused:

Man of Honour
It isn't cos it doesn't work, the E6600 will be fine in a 965 board. I *think* (ask an overclocker, not me :p) it is cos the 975 boards hit a lower FSB but have slightly higher performance so with an E6600 (high multiplier) they are more optimal than an E6300/E6400 (low multiplier) which overclocks more easily in a 965 board (capable of higher FSB).

Associate
Leporello said:
Hear hear.

Nickg said:
thats a bit harsh, he's only asking for some advice...
Such a shame there isn't a 'search' function on here then. :rolleyes:

Mods, can we please put an end to this, it's getting ridiculous?
Start a "buying advice" sub-forum already!

Of the 25 threads I see on the first page in this section, 8 of them are asking "which motherboard should I buy?" or words to that effect.
This is just great, assuming you're a member too lazy to do their own research or one justifying their own purchase by recommending the hardware they settled upon.

Caporegime
nightic said:
Of the 25 threads I see on the first page in this section, 8 of them are asking "which motherboard should I buy?" or words to that effect

Helping people is surely 90% of the reason this forum is here, and if that means 90% of the threads are people asking for buying advice, so be it :rolleyes:. Just be helpful and stop bleating about people asking questions imo.

Associate
Robbie G said:
Helping people is surely 90% of the reason this forum is here, and if that means 90% of the threads are people asking for buying advice, so be it :rolleyes:. Just be helpful and stop bleating about people asking questions imo.
Questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times over the past weeks.

There's helping people and then there's doing the work for people who can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes reading up on the matter.

Associate
glowball said:
Personally, I don't think there's ever been a time when choosing a MB has been so difficult.

I agree, but sadly there is no rational response to the simple question "Recommend a motherboard for me" without specifying what exactly the poster wants to do with that motherboard. If you browse a few of the many "Spec Me" threads you'll see that the majority get get at most half a dozen replies from people wildly enthusiastic about their own recent purchases, or from enthusiasts of a particular brand or the flavour of the month chipset. What is more, for all you know, all of these respondents could be wearing lead lined trilby hats! Hardly the basis for an informed purchasing decision.

I've recently struggled through the task of upgrading from AMD to Intel. In making my choice I read through lots of reviews. These are useful as extended brochures. I then read through a few forums and based on my requirements, I chose a short list of motherboards. I then returned to the forums and read through threads containing user experience and shared tips. I then typed the make and model of each of my shortlisted motherboards into google with the prefix "Problems with XXX model motherboard" and then followed the links back to these threads.

This was a long and often tedious and confusing process but I'm happy to say that I'm very pleased with my new motherboard. In the process of doing my research I picked up a lot of information and tips from people using the motherboard I eventually bought. As tedious as this effort was, it was extremely useful when it came to assembling my new components and setting up my system. Armed with the knowledged I had gained I was able to achieve a smooth upgrade, avoiding a couple of pitfalls that I would have otherwise been unaware of.

In summary, stupid questions get stupid answers, which are of no real help to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom