• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

LHR fully 100% unlocked now - expect GPU prices to rise

Soldato
What card are you after at MSRP ? because i'm shocked you have not got one yet, 3080 Fe I understand are really hard to get, but all the other FE models always last a good while before being snapped up, once people realise they are in stock. Yes some 10-15mins but if you have an alert set it makes it easier. 3080s last 2-5mins max because I suspect there is so little of them in the first place.

Some of us have jobs that don't allow us to be sat refreshing a screen all day.

There is zero chance of me picking up an FE 3060ti - that is my price limit for a new GPU- in fact it is actually way over my historical limit for a GPU, I've only increased it because of the current state of affairs.

Soldato
Are people really this short-sighted? "Only" £3 a day? Aka £1100 a year AND you still have the GPU (+years of warranty). But that's not worth it? Just wow. :eek:

I use my PC for more than just gaming, My PC is also part of my work, This magical £3 is not once per day, It is once per full 24 hours of mining, I do not keep any electronics on at all at night so at most I could "mine" maybe 1-2 hours per day so to get that full magical £3 payout it would take me nearly 2 weeks, Ergo, Not worth it and a far cry from £1100 per year.

Permabanned
You don't need to mine 24 hours per day either. You can mine whilst asleep if you use your computer whilst awake

I use my PC for more than just gaming, My PC is also part of my work, This magical £3 is not once per day, It is once per full 24 hours of mining, I do not keep any electronics on at all at night so at most I could "mine" maybe 1-2 hours per day so to get that full magical £3 payout it would take me nearly 2 weeks, Ergo, Not worth it and a far cry from £1100 per year.

Yah, the figure he claims is over 24hours , that could mean mining over 3days for that, if you just turn it on at night so his calculations are wrong and more like £30 a month for all that risk.

Soldato
Some of us have jobs that don't allow us to be sat refreshing a screen all day.

There is zero chance of me picking up an FE 3060ti - that is my price limit for a new GPU- in fact it is actually way over my historical limit for a GPU, I've only increased it because of the current state of affairs.

You just set you phone to alert you, that's how most people got their cards. Also I managed to get cards from other AIB retailers without alerts while working. Sadly prices are not coming down and next gen is already rumoured to be way more expensive than this gen, this is the gpu market now we sadly have to live with if we need gpus, for my reasons is work for the gpus if it was for gaming only I would have stuck with my old card, but for my work I had to update this gen as I avoided two gens before and couldn't do it again, so my hand was forced this upgrade.

Caporegime
OP
Yah, the figure he claims is over 24hours , that could mean mining over 3days for that, if you just turn it on at night so his calculations are wrong and more like £30 a month for all that risk.

Since when has $4.45 x 15 = £30?

it's still £600 per year and what risk? people have been mining now for 5+ years and still do it today because it's free money.

a lot of people that don't know anything about mining still showing ignorance. the stuff i mined back in 2017/2018 is worth £8K per month at todays prices. Yes £8K per month. Yet people back then were like it's not worth it you only make 50P per day. Well jokes on them.

Caporegime
OP
You just set you phone to alert you, that's how most people got their cards. Also I managed to get cards from other AIB retailers without alerts while working. Sadly prices are not coming down and next gen is already rumoured to be way more expensive than this gen, this is the gpu market now we sadly have to live with if we need gpus, for my reasons is work for the gpus if it was for gaming only I would have stuck with my old card, but for my work I had to update this gen as I avoided two gens before and couldn't do it again, so my hand was forced this upgrade.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He had 12 x 1070's mining away at one point. If he didn't keep one to game on or have any gpu to sell on currently to make up the difference it's his own fault. I sold my 2070 super to upgrade. Got what I paid for it which was nice.

Soldato
I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He had 12 x 1070's mining away at one point. If he didn't keep one to game on or have any gpu to sell on currently to make up the difference it's his own fault. I sold my 2070 super to upgrade. Got what I paid for it which was nice.

Thanks for the heads up, yes looking at his MM trust and all the 1070s that's a joke really, my old card was a 980ti and was happy enough with it for gaming at the time I updated it was related to work why I had to update as the VRAM was not enough for my work.

Sorry @Telecaster you have zero reasons to complain, you and people like you are the cause of this problem with gpus and their prices, if you were mining on all these cards and then complaining you can't buy a card at MSRP, you are taking the micky really. Go buy one at the current retail price and leave the MSRP cards to real gamers and computer users. Sorry no pity for a person that had that many cards at once and was mining on them. I have no issues with gamers that have one card or two systems they use for gaming or normal computer use and mine on them but mining at your level is not what I class as a normal.

Sorry but go pay what rest of us had to pay. A tiny percentage have managed to get any card at msrp. So a miner has clearly made a lot of money out of that many cards and is complaining they don't want to spend higher than msrp is basically a sick joke as people like yourself and scalpers have created this problem and raised msrp prices to record highs, so pay the going rate or find a new hobby.

Permabanned
Since when has $4.45 x 15 = £30?

it's still £600 per year and what risk? people have been mining now for 5+ years and still do it today because it's free money.

a lot of people that don't know anything about mining still showing ignorance. the stuff i mined back in 2017/2018 is worth £8K per month at todays prices. Yes £8K per month. Yet people back then were like it's not worth it you only make 50P per day. Well jokes on them.

24hrs @ £3 mining, when only overnight, to get 24hrs will take 3 or 4 days , to get £3. :D Say you slept 8 hrs or less a day. That's £30 a month at best if your pc doesn't crash from frying your VRAM and then those high energy costs that are coming in have not even been deducted so would be less soon, considering the coin you're mining is giving you highest rates (after Eth 2.0 that's going to fall big!) and it has been publicly said that we will be facing hundreds of £££ in price hikes on electricity bills.

The second point, it all hypothetical. Because no one knows when a crypto coin will hit it's highest prices, so it's very easy to look in the past and say in 2017 I mined 2 Eth and last month an Eth is £2k , so if I had 3 Eth in 2017 then it would be 6k etc.... it's all guess work, no body knows when prices go to max and when they go to low, usually many have to sell up to recoup costs and pay energy bills so it's not so. Prices also fall big! And you could mine and be faced with a big bill and loose.

I still stand by proper miners with many GPU setups are the ones gaining on mining , it may not be worth it now, who really knows? Leaving the PC on all night for £30, then if the card gets damaged, looking at an RMA in these hard times would put me off.

Also, Uncle Boris takes his cut in taxes should you get 20 GPUs to mine, so all those amounts reduce further.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm paying roughly £60 a month for electricity from Scottish Power and it's been steadily going up every 3-6 months, My current flat I started out at £20 per month 2 years ago, I use no more now than I did then and by the end of the year it's going up to £80 per month, If I started mining they'd see the huge spike in usage and before long I'd be paying hundreds per month.

How much you pay per month is largely irrelevant - they must have grossly underestimated your monthly usage 2 years ago and now you are overpaying to pay off the debt you accrued. 2 years ago I was paying 12p~ per kwh, now I'm paying 14.8p, that's an increase of 22%, not the 300-400% you are claiming. For 4 people living full time (we work from home and homeschool) in a 4 bedroom house we pay about £30 a week, so £120~ per month for Gas AND Electric, including mining... I have no godly idea what you can possibly be doing that would require £80 just for electric per month in a flat. I think you need to get a smart meter.

The point being, you are obviously taking a number you don't really understand and applying it to another situation you don't really understand and then calling that a conclusion, which it really isn't.

Otherwise, for what you are saying to be true, if you were paying a reasonable amount for leccy 2 years ago, e.g. 12p per kWh, you must now be paying 36p+, in which case you are being taken for a massive ride.

Last edited:
Soldato
24hrs @ £3 mining, when only overnight, to get 24hrs will take 3 or 4 days , to get £3. :D Say you slept 8 hrs or less a day. That's £30 a month at best if your pc doesn't crash from frying your VRAM and then those high energy costs that are coming in have not even been deducted so would be less soon, considering the coin you're mining is giving you highest rates (after Eth 2.0 that's going to fall big!) and it has been publicly said that we will be facing hundreds of £££ in price hikes on electricity bills.

The second point, it all hypothetical. Because no one knows when a crypto coin will hit it's highest prices, so it's very easy to look in the past and say in 2017 I mined 2 Eth and last month an Eth is £2k , so if I had 3 Eth in 2017 then it would be 6k etc.... it's all guess work, no body knows when prices go to max and when they go to low, usually many have to sell up to recoup costs and pay energy bills so it's not so. Prices also fall big! And you could mine and be faced with a big bill and loose.

I still stand by proper miners with many GPU setups are the ones gaining on mining , it may not be worth it now, who really knows? Leaving the PC on all night for £30, then if the card gets damaged, looking at an RMA in these hard times would put me off.

Also, Uncle Boris takes his cut in taxes should you get 20 GPUs to mine, so all those amounts reduce further.

The same is true of all investments.

Caporegime
OP
The same is true of all investments.

I was going to reply to his post but it looks like he will never get it.

Crypto historically has outperformed every other market. Yes I know this means nothing is guaranteed of what will happen in future which is why you diversify. Also if you have to sell the crypto to pay the £5 a month leccy then I don't think you should be buying a 3080ti in the first place.

It's like buying a porsche then complaining that it does 25mpg. Anyone who owns a 3080ti can afford the £60 a year electricity bill generated from mining on it 24/7. Even if your leccy doubles when the rate ends it's still only £120 a year.

Also no issues with the VRAM it throttles before it hits outwith manufacturers specs. It's rated to 125C from the research I have done and throttles at 110C. So it's impossible to damage it unless you use unstable clocks but they usually cause errors and crashes so obvious to spot.

Caporegime
OP
GDDR6X (micron.com)

The maker of the ram says max temp is 105 degrees before throttling

I watched a youtube video which broke it all down and went through the manufacturers official technical sheet.

The max temp of the RAM itself is 125C which above that will cause damage.

You then have sensors placed on the casing of the VRAM and it's max temp shouldn't exceed 95/105C iirc. However that is like the heatsink on a CPU. The actual RAM itself can go to 125C which is why nvidia throttles it at 110C.

I have also yet to hear of a single case of mining affecting gddr6x memory and plenty of miners on here running them.

Soldato
I was going to reply to his post but it looks like he will never get it.

Crypto historically has outperformed every other market. Yes I know this means nothing is guaranteed of what will happen in future which is why you diversify. Also if you have to sell the crypto to pay the £5 a month leccy then I don't think you should be buying a 3080ti in the first place.

It's like buying a porsche then complaining that it does 25mpg. Anyone who owns a 3080ti can afford the £60 a year electricity bill generated from mining on it 24/7. Even if your leccy doubles when the rate ends it's still only £120 a year.

Also no issues with the VRAM it throttles before it hits outwith manufacturers specs. It's rated to 125C from the research I have done and throttles at 110C. So it's impossible to damage it unless you use unstable clocks but they usually cause errors and crashes so obvious to spot.

Yeah, it boggles the mind what mental gymnastics people will do to try to "prove" that mining hasn't been profitable for the last 10 years, that's better track record than a lot of other investments.
I mean, you could have pumped money in to the FTSE any time in the last 5 years and had to cash out when covid hit and eaten a 40% loss, like you can cherry pick any numbers you like to try to prove a point, but all investments are a risk, that's the whole point, if you just stick your money under the mattress you won't lose all of it (even then you could have a house fire), but you won't make any gains either.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, it boggles the mind what mental gymnastics people will do to try to "prove" that mining hasn't been profitable for the last 10 years, that's better track record than a lot of other investments.
I mean, you could have pumped money in to the FTSE any time in the last 5 years and had to cash out when covid hit and eaten a 40% loss, like you can cherry pick any numbers you like to try to prove a point, but all investments are a risk, that's the whole point, if you just stick your money under the mattress you won't lose all of it (even then you could have a house fire), but you won't make any gains either.

There is a risk in absolutely everything. There is no such thing as zero risk.

Even having your money in the bank is a risk. You don't know what could happen tomorrow. The pandemic should have opened peoples eyes that literally anything is possible and nothing is safe any more.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up, yes looking at his MM trust and all the 1070s that's a joke really, my old card was a 980ti and was happy enough with it for gaming at the time I updated it was related to work why I had to update as the VRAM was not enough for my work.

Sorry @Telecaster you have zero reasons to complain, you and people like you are the cause of this problem with gpus and their prices, if you were mining on all these cards and then complaining you can't buy a card at MSRP, you are taking the micky really. Go buy one at the current retail price and leave the MSRP cards to real gamers and computer users. Sorry no pity for a person that had that many cards at once and was mining on them. I have no issues with gamers that have one card or two systems they use for gaming or normal computer use and mine on them but mining at your level is not what I class as a normal.

Sorry but go pay what rest of us had to pay. A tiny percentage have managed to get any card at msrp. So a miner has clearly made a lot of money out of that many cards and is complaining they don't want to spend higher than msrp is basically a sick joke as people like yourself and scalpers have created this problem and raised msrp prices to record highs, so pay the going rate or find a new hobby.

Thanks for your lack of concern, it is touching. During the last mining bull run you could still buy plenty of cards at MSRP both FE and aftermarket, I know because I did.

Mining isn't the cause of the current problem regardless of what a load of gamers think, it's just easy to point the finger at them because it doesn't require any brain power.

I packed up mining and gaming years ago, I just fancied a card to throw in an old system for some light gaming this winter and what with the daft prices for ancient cards on the used market thought a current gen at MSRP posed better value. Setting alerts on your phone is great I suppose, if you work with your phone in your hand. I'm offline 10-12 hours most days so alerts would be useless.

Back
Top Bottom