Life on Mars is class - Ashes to Ashes discussion/spoilers too

Soldato
Hmmmm, there is just something that little bit too naff about the 80s' for this show. The characters and style worked brilliantly first time around, now it just seems they're struggling to recreate the old atmosphere with none of support the previous era gave.

That and the fact we know that it is all in her head sort of takes away the "wtf" factor too.

Shouldn't have killed of Sam.

Associate
Todays wasn't as great as last week's, and it seems a bit like they're starting to have trouble. I liked the last ten minutes or so though, they were good.

Still not a patch on Life On Mars.

Associate
I really think it could have worked as a plain and simple cop show. No mystery this time, no LoM remake, just Gene Genie and the boys beating up nonces!

Soldato
Having watched my recording of it from last night I would have to join in the 'Oooo, I'm not sure' chorus. As with last weeks episode it goes from a few moments that are actually quite good, to ten minutes of utter drivel.

To me it feels as though they made two versions of the show and then spliced them together.

But, I'll persevere.

Associate
Im still unsure.

Mostly, I love it, although it isnt anything like LOM....yet.
It's still early days, but it's also still awesome.

The only thing annoying me now is Alex, just because she's so up herself.

Soldato
Not happy as just downloaded tonights episode via BBC i and it got to the part where you find out whats been going on and it stooped with about 10mins missing :mad:

it's even missing from the stream :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
it stooped with about 10mins missing :mad:

:) Glad I'm not the only one who's been caught out by that. It's not the best plot I've ever watched on TV, but when it stopped abruptly with 10 mins to go I got the 'ump.

I can't find the right bit of the BBC website to report the fault either. Hopefully someone will notice soon enough though.

I bet the butler did it, in the pantry, with a candlestick.

Andrew McP

Soldato
It's a decent enough show, but I think it misses being in Manchester. I've been watched LoM all this week on Virgin On Demand (off work after an op, woop! :D) and it's quite a stark comparison between AtA and LoM. LoM is more detailed, warmer and has (or appears to have) more twists. It feels like Gene and Co. were solving all of Manchester's problems - the scale of London in AtA has lost this feeling for me.

It's still comfortably one of the best programmes on TV however, and Glenister is awesome. I'll enjoy it for as long as it's on.

Back
Top Bottom