LifeX Bulbs (Or other smart bulbs) am I missing the point?

Soldato
I want to revisit this as I need some help and getting my ideas about one main problem.

Its connected and worked on my phone and app but its the wall switch I want to understand or need to know if I'm getting this wrong or not.

When the switch if 'off' on the wall - it stops all functionality of the bulb and this happens more often because of people in the household just switching lights on and off. Is this how its meant to be use as someone might switch off the lights on the wall after using the hallway for example but when I want to do something on my app - the lightbulb stops functioning.

Tell me this is normal and there is no way around it?

Soldato
Yes, it's normal, all you can do is disable the switch, so it is permanently on, and then place a smart switch adjacent/on-top of it ... more expense.
(although Ikea smart switch is not too expensive)

I think, there is reasonably priced help, at hand now, with the sonoff smart switches , where, you use a dumb bulb, but a unit in the back of existing switch that can override the switch via an app.

[
Interesting - just learned sonoff do have a smart switch supporting 2 way lights - neat - but, that wouldn't solve your problem, as right bulb then could't be controlled
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compatible-Control-Function-Support-Required/dp/B07TRSWY23
]

Associate
perfectly normal, when you turn the light off by the wall switch you are in effect turning the power off to the light. So the connection to the app or whatever is controlling the light wont function because there is no power to the light.

The solution is to remove the switch but in the uk this can be a bit of a challenge because most lighting setups dont have a fixed neutral.

Soldato
As above.

It is a partial behaviour change, and there's also things you can do to stop them. I've stuck zigbee switches on mine, so i have the best of both worlds - can switch it on/off as you normally would, and also allows control via automation/schedules/app.

Soldato
I have loads of Hue bulbs but only in rooms where they’re of use. For example I’ve four bulbs in lamps in my lounge. These are all set to come on at sunset and go off about 11 at night. No one ever needs to touch any switches. Similarly I’ve a lamp in my landing which is activated by motion sensor - no switch required again.

The point I’m trying to make is that I don’t think smart bulbs should be placed in areas where switches will be used as a matter of course eg kitchen, bathroom, hall, etc. In all other places you try and run them off timers and/ or sensors to get the benefit of them.

Soldato
Most people couple smart lights with an Alexa or other home assistant.

The Hue bulbs allow you spend even more and get switches that stick to the wall next to/over the top of your existing switches.

Soldato
As above.

It is a partial behaviour change, and there's also things you can do to stop them. I've stuck zigbee switches on mine, so i have the best of both worlds - can switch it on/off as you normally would, and also allows control via automation/schedules/app.
This is the best method but only if you have powered light switches (newer build houses).

Soldato
OP
As above.

I've never heard of these and are you saying the Zigbee allows a person to 'switch' off the lights at the wall but still controllable on the app and etc?

Soldato
I've never heard of these and are you saying the Zigbee allows a person to 'switch' off the lights at the wall but still controllable on the app and etc?

Zigbee is just a protocol that a lot of IoT devices use to communicate. Think of it like WiFi but on different bands.

Mine are essentially just button switches that sit on a blanking plate over the existing light switch. I have seen some zigbee switches that you replace your current lightswitch with, these will basically keep the light bulb always live, and pressing the switch will just send a command to the bulb to switch it on / off / adjust brightness / change colour etc.

I haven't yet taken the plunge to try one of these yet, my worry is the lack of functionality if it's essentially just a toggle switch. With the button switches you get quite a lot of functionality, so at the moment mine are programmed for 1 click = light on 50%, 2 clicks = light on 100%, 3 clicks = light off. And hopefully in a few weeks once my servo's have turned up, i'll have some smart blind functionality - so i plan to use a hold click for 2 seconds to toggle the blinds open or closed.

Soldato
The proper switches that are ZigBee compatible need your house wiring to be compatible.

The lesser solution is to grab Phillips Hue switches which stick over your existing ones.

Soldato
I have lifx and I leave all the switches on and use Google speakers to turn them on and off, etc
Exactly this... it only becomes a nightmare when, on the rare occasion, my mum stays over she has to read the instruction manual for the house :D

Caporegime
Exactly this... it only becomes a nightmare when, on the rare occasion, my mum stays over she has to read the instruction manual for the house :D

Yes it's a huge problem if someone who doesn't stay comes over I can't be bothered to change the switches it's not a huge problem. Google tells me it cannot find the bulb and then I know that it's been switched off.

Soldato
Yes it's a huge problem if someone who doesn't stay comes over I can't be bothered to change the switches it's not a huge problem. Google tells me it cannot find the bulb and then I know that it's been switched off.
The Hue once come on at 100% if the switches goes on and off anyway so it isn't exactly rocket science. I presume the LifeX ones are the same.

Soldato
Hue bulbs will use their previous colour and brightness if turned off and on. This has been the case for a good couple of years now.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
It probably took me about 6 months to stop trying to turn all the light switches off. You'll eventually get used to it :D.

Hue bulbs will use their previous colour and brightness if turned off and on. This has been the case for a good couple of years now.

You can customise it in the hue app > settings > power on behaviour if you need to for the record :)

Soldato
It probably took me about 6 months to stop trying to turn all the light switches off.
it is instinctive, especially for upstairs light where you might turn it on before going upstairs, unless, you have a motion detector facing down stairs.

Does that rely on having an active hub that speaks to the bulb after the power-off, or, it is functionality(eprom) in the newer BT/bulbs
.... ie. I shouldn'y buy old bulbs.

Soldato
OP
it does become that lifestyle change to remember not to manually flick the switch off but its the convenience of walking out of a room and the door has the light switch right next to it. It takes longer to find your phone to open the app and then scroll to the light and switch it up.

I've been reading up the options I have to have both functionality of the light switch on the wall and get it functioning on the app.

Soldato
I changed my wall switch to a smart switch. No need for expensive bulbs then.

Top Bottom