Lightroom 4 to latest version

Soldato
Hi.

Thinking I should upgrade lightroom 4 to the latest version (whatever that maybe) presently running 4 on Windows 7 laptop but have another laptop that can run window 10.

Is it easy to somehow keep all my data that I have in lightroom 4 already and love across to the new version.

My images and presets.

Thanks. Just a bit nervous I could loose stuff. Got around 20 years of digital images (although backed up to Google photos as well)

Associate
I'm pretty sure(least when i last done it) before it installs, it gives you the option to upgrade your lightroom. so it keeps all your files and presets. I'd maybe wait for a second opinion though haha

Soldato
It's easy to go up a version, but I didn't like the subscription, so went back to my old version, which none of the photo edits I made, could be loaded into, doh!

Soldato
The last stand-alone version of Lightroom was 6.14 but that was released in 2017 and it's now over three years since it was available to buy so the only option is the CC subscription.
But if you've got 20 years of images and no proper backup then I think that should be your first priority.

Soldato
OP
The last stand-alone version of Lightroom was 6.14 but that was released in 2017 and it's now over three years since it was available to buy so the only option is the CC subscription.
But if you've got 20 years of images and no proper backup then I think that should be your first priority.

I have backups in the way if Google photos.

I actually downloaded the £10 per month lightroom and photoshop last night for the 7 day trial. So will see how it goes.

Got to work out how to move photos and catalogue etc from the windows 7 laptop I use lightroom 4 on. Over to the windows 10 laptop

Soldato
I regard trusting your only backup to a third party as a bit too brave.....

There must be FAQs available for moving photos and catalogues between PCs. A rummage on Adobe's web site would probably be worthwhile and I've also found the community forum useful in the past.

Soldato
I have backups in the way if Google photos.

I actually downloaded the £10 per month lightroom and photoshop last night for the 7 day trial. So will see how it goes.

Got to work out how to move photos and catalogue etc from the windows 7 laptop I use lightroom 4 on. Over to the windows 10 laptop

Just copy the old catalogues / images to the new PC (USB drive etc).

Open the old catalogue with lightroom, it should prompt you about updating the format etc

When Lightroom then opens you can update the image folder locations (if necessary) in the library section

Back
Top Bottom