Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer

Soldato
I think even the most die hard enthusiast will struggle to justify that sort of outlay on a wheelset.

Given that you could get your hands on something for around half the price that you'd struggle to perceive any difference with, a direct drive turbo, PM, coaching and a week away somewhere sunny for the same price which would deliver a better return that a wheelset alone ;)

If you have a 100km hill climb like the GCN fella's did (and presumably aren't paying) then it's a different kettle of fish :cool:

Soldato
If you've really got money to burn on rims wouldn't Enve be a better choice than Lightweights?

LWs don't have a good reputation for handling crosswinds from what I've read.

Of course, the correct answer is Campagnolo Boras!:D

Associate
OP
Boras out of the question as my groupsets are Red etap. (needs to be fully italian for it to work).

Not a fan on the looks of the Enve but most reviews suggest they're great! Still learning that wider rims are more efficient, lightweights are 20mm wide?

I live in the lake district where all I do is climb not many flats so don't need "aero" to its fullest.

I can get them for £3.5k which is an awful lot of money buy nearly 2k off full retail. Tempted.

Crosswinds i'd ride my Cipo if conditions were not perfect inc rain.

It's the stiffness that appeals, being ultra lightweight is a bonus and would put my Orbea Orca OMR bang on 6kg inc a power meter.

Currently running Zipp 303's which are not bad and spin up well.

I can test ride a set but seeing as the roads are poor atm plus plenty of grit, i'd rather not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like your mind is made up!:p

I mean, realistically you have Zipp 303s which are light, aero and stiff already so you should spend the £3500 riding them in the Alps or Majorca or something.:D

Aren't the Obermayers tubular only?

Soldato
Sounds like your mind is made up!:p

I mean, realistically you have Zipp 303s which are light, aero and stiff already so you should spend the £3500 riding them in the Alps or Majorca or something.:D
+1 - spend that money on a week or two riding with Mike Cotty on his Col Collective holidays.

Associate
See lot's of people riding them here, though they really only come into their own if you are prepared to ride tubs, as that is where the silly weight is really noticeable. For me they are very old in terms of shape, and as mentioned kind of twitchy in crosswinds compared to an Enve. It's not something i would splash that much cash on personally, im hapy with my Bora's and my 6.7s :)

Associate
OP
Well I'm getting them fitted tomorrow, with 11-25 cassette! I'm used to tubs and the club I ride with (PUSH Cartel, Ambleside) mainly ride tubs so we all carry spares and the mechanic is rapid at changing them.

I have reserved judgment until I ride on them. I know they wont be twice the wheel of the Zipps but if they make me feel spesh then I'm happy.

My Orca is full Caramic Speed and again not necessary but it "feels" good. Collectivity it makes a bit of a difference.

I wont be using them until March at least no doubt plus I need to get back to 63kgs too :(

Associate
OP
24174249937_beb152111c_b.jpg

So there you have it!
Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer Tubular Schwarz Edition full Ceramic Speed.
Apparently it now weighs 5.8kgs inc. Quarq power meter & etap.
Stiff as hell.

Soldato
Well I'm getting them fitted tomorrow, with 11-25 cassette! I'm used to tubs and the club I ride with (PUSH Cartel, Ambleside) mainly ride tubs so we all carry spares and the mechanic is rapid at changing them.

I have reserved judgment until I ride on them. I know they wont be twice the wheel of the Zipps but if they make me feel spesh then I'm happy.

My Orca is full Caramic Speed and again not necessary but it "feels" good. Collectivity it makes a bit of a difference.

I wont be using them until March at least no doubt plus I need to get back to 63kgs too :(

You have a team car? No wonder everyone rides tubs! :D would have thought going for the high end market they'd be able to sort out any spelling mistakes on their website though!

Back
Top Bottom