Caporegime
It's discriminatory against people like me who only ever post nonsense.

Glad we aren't having it :p

@mrk yeah it's annoying how every single YT video (ever) now ends with, "Don't forget to like and subscribe!". I guess the implication is we're all a bunch of attention deficit morons. Anyway, my total subs: 0. Screw you, social media influencers! :p

Man of Honour
Why would we want a feature here that exists only for the purpose of bullying and imposing conformity? This isn't an antisocial media site. There are too many of those already.

We already have a personal rating system for the only place it serves a legitimate purpose - members market transactions.

[..] @mrk yeah it's annoying how every single YT video (ever) now ends with, "Don't forget to like and subscribe!". I guess the implication is we're all a bunch of attention deficit morons.

That is the intended market for such videos, so maybe they have a point. :)

Anyway, my total subs: 0. Screw you, social media influencers! :p

Same here. I bookmark channels I like. I don't log in to Google. I don't want to be forced into confirmation bias and I don't want to be a product, so of course I don't sign in to Google or use Google's search engine. I did have a Google account I made to answer a question on a history video, but I forgot the password and was unable to recover the account. No great loss.

I have thought about a likes button on OcUK on a few occasions, but I agree with most of you now that it's a bad idea. Same on Facebook.

The only platform where I think likes are useful are on deviantART (as faves). Press the fave button on artwork that you like then you can arrange the faves into folders so that you can see what you have historically faved.

Associate
Mob mentality...

But honesty, props to the guys who resisted this. I really miss forums, so it's good to have one here. Reddit for example is a nice design in theory, but damn, talk about the perfect information farm, among other issues.

Associate
There's a football forum where they have it and you can see which users have upvoted/downvoted your comments. It ends up in people complaining about their dislikes rather than trying to explain their difference of opinion.

Soldato
oh good Lord no! there's a big enough of a circle jerk goes on in GD/SC already.....imagine the blackhole of despair this place would become if those in the circle were getting their idiotic posts 'bigged up' by like minded people (i've used he term 'people' to avoid any offence :p )
i can see it already......'how dare you question my super intelligent, clever as **** post....i have 3 likes so **** you'.......like buttons only encourage stupid people to be even stupider!

:D:D
 I think we should stir it up a bit by having only a dislike button. That way the community can regularly can tell certain members how much **** they spout out.

Back
Top Bottom