Limit Sound to Surround Back

Associate
Hi All,

I am wondering if there's a way to switch off channel or have the sound play through lets say just the Surround Back speakers?

The reason I ask is, I have my Surround Back speakers above my PC setup, which I would like to use these as my primary PC speakers. At the moment I have turned down all the channel levels on all but the back speakers, and I have increased the volume on the back speaks to the maximum. But of course this method still has a small amount of sound being produced out of all the other speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Denon AVR-X4400H

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply.

I have an Stereo Amp, which I use to power my floor standing speakers. I wouldn't want to connect and disconnect them based on what I was using it for. Is that the only option?

Man of Honour
This is one of those rare occasions where, if you had a lower spec'd amp, then you might be able to do it it the settings using the Speaker Assign function.

The assignable speakers on your Denon are the height speakers. They can be software assigned to be either ATMOS or Zone 2 and Zone 3. With lower spec'd amps that don't do full 9.1 then the surround back speakers might have been switchable between Surround Back, ATMOS 5.1.2 and Powered Zone 2. So, the short answer is no, the amp doesn't have the facility built in.

It would be possible to use an outboard amp with two line inputs, then use that to feed the Surround Rear speakers. The source signals would be the pre-outs for SBL&R and Zone 2. It would need a bespoke remote control programme writing to handle the mode switching. That's some thing I could do, but I suspect that the space required for an extra amp and the cost of the remote and its programming would be too much compared to the cost of running a very nice set of desktop PC speakers.

Back
Top Bottom