"Line Saver" (discounted line rental) & changing ISP

Soldato
My mum's 18 month contract with Talk Talk has reached an end. At the beginning of her contract she paid the line rental up front for a year as there was a discount to be had.
After 12 months she paid for another 12 months again.
Now, 6 months in, her Talk Talk contract is up and I'm shopping around trying to get her the best price. I appreciate most ISP's are now quoting a cost including line rental, however I also know that even when an "all inclusive" price is listed, there is still line rental going on.

If I decide there are significant savings to be made moving her elsewhere, what happens to the remaining 6 months of line rental she has already paid?
Would she expect a refund fro Talk Talk? Or when she moved to another ISP would 6 months of line rental move with her?
Or, as I fear, if she moves ISP does she lose that 6 months?

Thanks.

Caporegime
It's a discount in exchange for paying up front for the year, I'm not sure why people are expecting it to be refunded if you then decide to move your services to another provider. The FAQ linked above says they will apply the 'overpaid' amount to the final bill, but nothing more than that.

Edit: It's fairly ambiguously worded on a second read. I would ask TalkTalk to get a clarification. They seem to have a scenario for cancelling the line rental and another one for leaving TalkTalk, which seem like the same thing to me unless you are a real edge case with two lines on one TalkTalk account and only want to cancel one.

Soldato
OP
Actually, on my second read I do see it as a full refund.
The wording says if we're leaving Talk Talk then we get a credit applied to the final bill. There is then a link which takes you via the words "requesting a refund". That link says:
"If your account is in credit, you can request to have the balance refunded to you"

Anyway, I'm starting my negotiations with them tomorrow, so may be a moot point if they aren't going to increase my mums bill too much. Either way, I'll get some clarification.

Soldato
OP
So, for completion on this thread. Started negotiations with Talk Talk this morning.
My mum is on ADSL, and was paying £4.50/month for her "up to 18mb" service and then paying for line rental yearly.
The new packages Talk Talk offer are all "line rental inclusive", so in other words, if she wanted to move to any new contract with Talk Talk then she would be moving to one where "value line rental" was no longer an option.
They offered her (me) £18.75/month for line rental, up to 18mb ADSL and weekend/evening calls. In addition there would be a refund of £112.60 for the six months of unused "value line rental".
This is "price guaranteed" for the entire 24 months of the contract, for what that is worth of course - they may very well increase prices and then offer people a get out (as they did with me when I was 6 months into an 18 month "fixed price" fibre package.

Back
Top Bottom