Linkin Park - Living Things (New Album)

Soldato
Although all their albums are fantastic, they've gradually gone down hill bit by bit since Hybrid Theory.

HT gets at least a weekly play in my car, faultless album.

As for the new single, it's immediately screams Linkin Park at you and first impression is pretty solid...then Chester started singing...I am disappoint!

Soldato
Although all their albums are fantastic, they've gradually gone down hill bit by bit since Hybrid Theory.

As for the new single, it's immediately screams Linkin Park at you and first impression is pretty solid...then Chester started singing...I am disappoint!

Kind of agreed....

Although that being said, I really liked Minutes to Midnight. In fact, it is still one of my favourite albums ever.

A Thousand Suns, I didn't like so much, so this one could go either way I guess... Definitely sounds very LP though. Reminds me a bit of New Divide.

kd

Associate
OP

Kind of agreed....

Although that being said, I really liked Minutes to Midnight. In fact, it is still one of my favourite albums ever.

A Thousand Suns, I didn't like so much, so this one could go either way I guess... Definitely sounds very LP though. Reminds me a bit of New Divide.

kd

I agree with you both, HT is the best album they've released although i do like to listen to selected tracks from all the albums and yes "Burn It Down" does have a "New Divide" feel to it.

As for ATS i bought all the merch they had available and i felt a bit let down, although i think that was more to do with the people handling the merch side of things Topspin i believe.

Anyway "Living Things" pre-sale starts 1pm PST or 9PM GMT, I work nights so i'll see whats on offer trw and decide where i'm buying the album then.

Hope to see some tour dates later to so will have to think about seeing them for the 3rd time as well :)

Caporegime
I wish I'd seen them back when their albums were good tbh, I guess they'll always be a band (like Marilyn Manson) who I'll never see because their current music is a bit meh.

Soldato
I can't listen to it right now as I'm at work - But I'm looking forward to a listen...

If it's quite like New Divide, as some people have said, then I should be happy :)

I don't like where they've gone so far though... I love Hybrid Theory, Meteora & Reanimation - Minutes to Midnight was okay, but A Thousand Suns was absolutely terrible in my opinion.

Caporegime
Oh I'm sure they do (I've seen the DVD) but they've now had 2 albums I'm really not keen on and I'd be surprised if this one was that different. Bands tend to concentrate on their latest album for tours.

Associate
OP
Oh I'm sure they do (I've seen the DVD) but they've now had 2 albums I'm really not keen on and I'd be surprised if this one was that different. Bands tend to concentrate on their latest album for tours.

True, maybe wait until the album comes out before deciding this albums not for you?

"Burn It Down" cover art

Burn_It_Down_Cover.jpg

"Living Things" cover art

LIVINGTHINGS_cover.png

Soldato
Cover art looks pretty cool :)

Just seen this quote from a magazine called "Spin":

Seared but still high-sheen slab of cross-pollinated pop driven by four-on-the-floor pump and the pulse of guitars and synths irreparably fused together.

What... the... hell... does any of that mean :p I think some Music Journalists just throw random words in sometimes :p

Caporegime
Music journos/critics need to validate their existence by either giving overly critical reviews or making up stupid buzzwords.

I enjoyed their last album and Hybrid Theory so I'm looking forward to this.

Soldato
As an LP fan, I are disappoint :(

Was hoping for something closer to their older stuff but I guess I shouldn't have held my breath after their last album.

Might be a couple of decent tracks on this one like there were on A Thousand Suns.

Associate
OP
Monday News: Burn It Down, Release Dates, The Album, and a Toolbox.

Taken from Mike's blog, interesting what he says about there move away from the early music. I'm really looking forward to what all the "Tools" sound like and personally i don't want a new HT i want an album that grows the band and shows what they can do.

Monday is almost here.

Early Monday morning, our new single BURN IT DOWN will be released. The LIVING THINGS album pre-sale will begin. You’ll see the album cover, the track listing, and hear about some new tour plans. My bandmates and I are very excited for this week.

Many of you know our story up until this point. We built the band upon the idea of fusing all our favorite styles of music–as different as they might be–into one, signature sound. Our first two albums were the result of a lot of hard work, perseverance, smarts, and luck, to build a toolbox that would provide us with what we needed to make the best songs we could at the time.

Success came at a pivotal time in an industry that was about to take a nosedive, and we were able to establish ourselves before things changed drastically. Hybrid Theory became the best-selling album of the year, worldwide. After Meteora‘s success, we realized that we needed to step back and think about our future, in order to have one. We decided we had to had to veer away from the main thing upon which our success was built: the music.

When I tried to explain this pivotal moment to a friend of mine, he had a hard time understanding. He said, “It’s like you invented the Big Mac or the iPod, then decided not to sell it anymore. Why the hell would you do that?”

Trying to explain how personal and artistic choices factor in for a band like ours is difficult. As we finished up “A Thousand Suns” in 2010, I found myself having to try to do it often, in interviews and to myself. Before we even finished the songs, each guy in my band knew it was a polarizing and challenging album, one that people would probably love or hate. I suppose that it didn’t really matter if it made sense to anyone but us — for a while, we had to steer as far away from the early sound of Linkin Park as possible, or else we would be trapped making the exact same music over and over until we had to call it quits.

Thinking back: as we wrote Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns, I would sometimes bring in demos that sounded like something from the first two albums. Those demos were always met with a negative reaction by my bandmates, and I tended to agree. I loved the journey toward a new, unknown sound. With each experiment, we discovered new ways to make songs, and we filled our toolbox with tons of new tools. With each song, we tried both cutting-edge and classic gear; we started with radically different seeds; and we approached the vocals with a virtual blindfold on. And, about a year ago, I realized that our toolbox was virtually overflowing with great tools.

But we were avoiding something.

In the early part of our career, we were inexperienced. We made decisions on all fronts that some of us regret (some times a little, some times a lot). And some decisions (like my fire-engine red hair back in the day) were things that I don’t really regret, but I simply wouldn’t do today. All those things spun together to create a complicated uneasiness about the past that the band wasn’t able to come to terms with for a while.

Luckily, I wasn’t the only one who felt that way. Over the course of the last year, the subject kept popping up, and we talked about how to tastefully bridge the gap between all the musical places we’ve been, to marry together all the ideas we’ve accumulated about how to make a song. And as LIVING THINGS began taking shape, the most powerful shift I saw take place was the acceptance and eagerness to use all the tools in the toolbox, not just some. Everything at once, together.

Some people have already compared our new album to the early ones. I suppose it depends on how you want to make that comparison (by the way, it’s certainly not about guitars). For me, it’s all about getting back to the real “hybrid theory” — not the album with that name, but the idea that the six guys in our band have drastically different tastes in music, and the blending of all those sounds into one is exactly what we built our band upon.

///

The single BURN IT DOWN and the album LIVING THINGS (presale) will be available tomorrow.

Caporegime
The thing is I have no problem with bands changing their sound, most of my favourite artists have changed significantly over their career....the problem is LP went from a fairly unique sound to something that sounded like a bland, pale shadow of their earlier stuff. They just lost their spark imo.

I wish they'd done an album/EP like 'Sessions' now that would have been an interesting change.

Associate
OP
iTunes Reveals "LIVING THINGS" Tracklisting

Taken from LPA

Earlier today iTunes New Zealand updated their album pre-order page to show the track listing. The official track listing below is as follows:

LIVING THINGS:

1. LOST IN THE ECHO
2. IN MY REMAINS
3. BURN IT DOWN
4. LIES GREED MISERY
5. I'LL BE GONE
6. CASTLE OF GLASS
7. VICTIMIZED
8. ROADS UNTRAVELED
9. SKIN TO BONE
10. UNTIL IT BREAKS
11. TINFOIL
12. POWERLESS

Source: iTunes New Zealand via NightofNeptune - Confirmed on LinkinPark.com

Last edited:
Associate
OP
US Tour dates

In conjunction with today's release of new single "BURN IT DOWN", Linkin Park have announced a slew of upcoming tour dates that will take place in the US beginning August 11th, 2012 and will run through September 10th, 2012. The dates set for North America are part of the Honda Civic Tour that will feature both Linkin Park and Incubus on tour together for the first time ever in both band's careers. Check out the dates below to see if the Honda Civic Tour is coming to your city:

8/11/12 Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
8/12/12 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
8/14/12 Boston, MA Comcast Center
8/17/12 Camden, NJ Susquehanna Bank Center
8/19/12 Atlanta, GA Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
8/21/12 Detroit, MI The Palace
8/22/12 Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center
8/24/12 Chicago, IL First Midwest Bank
8/25/12 Indianapolis, IN Klipsch Music Center
8/27/12 Dallas, TX Gexa Energy Center
8/28/12 Houston, TX Cynthia Woods Pavilion
8/30/12 Denver, CO Comfort Dental Amphitheater
9/4/12 Vancouver, WA Rogers Arena
9/5/12 Tacoma, WA Tacoma Dome
9/7/12 Mountain View, CA Shoreline Amphitheater
9/10/12 San Diego, CA Cricket Wireless Amphitheater

These 16 dates come after a series of shows in Europe and other parts of the world, where Linkin Park will play a number of festivals before hitting the arenas on the US leg. Expect more dates to be added in the course of the year, as these are just the first dates of what is promised to be a 2012 World Tour. Head to http://linkinpark.com for ticketing information.
Via - LPA

Associate
OP
Recent post on linkinpark.com

"New Linkin Park music is here.

"BURN IT DOWN" is the first single from our new album, LIVING THINGS, and you can hear it now on LinkinPark.com.

LIVING THINGS will be released on June 26. If you pre-order it now from LinkinPark.com, you get more than just the album and an instant download of the single; you get a subscription to receive a new remixed track from LIVING THINGS every month, and early access to tickets for our upcoming headline tours in North America and Europe.

Also, to show gratitude to all the amazing fans spreading the word, a new program called "Share To Earn" is on the way, where spreading the word can win you a number of exclusive prizes, including LP CONCERT TICKETS FOR LIFE. Details coming soon on LinkinPark.com.

Lastly, we are excited to announce that we will be co-headlining the 2012 Honda Civic Tour in North America this summer with Incubus. Check out the tour dates here. Tickets go on sale exclusively for LP Underground members starting Monday, April 23. LPU members will also get early entry to the shows and opportunities for meet & greets with the band. Anyone who pre-orders LIVING THINGS will get access to tickets on April 24.

Click here to pre-order LIVING THINGS.
Click here to get the single, "BURN IT DOWN," on iTunes.
Click here for Honda Civic Tour dates.

See you soon.

-Brad, Chester, Joe, Mike, Phoenix, and Rob"
Source: Linkin Park

Man of Honour

There are a couple of weak songs on there, notably Runaway, A Place For My Head and Forgotten.

The rest of it is pretty special, it sounded very fresh at the time.

Back
Top Bottom