Linx 10.1 inch Windows 8 Tablet - Any good?

Associate
One thing to watch out with second hand versions is the Office 365 licence - with many second hand ones this has already been used, which reduces the value somewhat (seeing as it's £60 full price, and even Ebay licences for the personal edition can easily be £25-35). I guess it's also worth checking the condition of the screen - it's relatively easy to scratch (compared to Gorilla glass or whatever) so if they haven't been using a screen protector it may have come to some harm.

I'm sure others will have other things to highlight, but that's a start. :)

As an aside, it also depends what you mean by cheap - it's still available new in Sainsbury's for £129 as far as I'm aware (it was over the weekend...), so make sure the second hand pricing reflects a healthy discount from that and not the standard £160 or so.

Associate
How does this handle 720p on youtube?

Also, anyone who has had one for quite a while now, how is the battery holding up?

Soldato
How does this handle 720p on youtube?

Also, anyone who has had one for quite a while now, how is the battery holding up?

It handled 720p and 1080p on youtube fine on mine and my sister too. Also it handled Netflix fine when sister connected Linx 10 to 40 inch HDTV via HDMI to watched it at full HD 1920x1080.

After 7 months used it, battery still going strong with 7-8 hours use. :)

Last edited:
Associate
It handled 720p and 1080p on youtube fine on mine and my sister too. Also it handled Netflix fine when sister connected Linx 10 to 40 inch HDTV via HDMI to watched it at full HD 1920x1080.

After 7 months used it, battery still going strong with 7-8 hours use. :)

Thanks for replying mate. I'm liking the idea of one of these more and more.

Man of Honour
Got this pre Christmas with a couple of 8 inch models. Batteries are terrible...but good to have lying around the house.

Picked up one of the 7" ones for using on electronics projects for referencing stuff (cheap so doesn't matter if I accidentally put a soldering iron through the screen or something) - gets about 4 hours of screen on time max doing nothing other than displaying a web page or datasheet. By comparison my Toshiba Encore 8" manages ~9 hours of playing HD video.

Associate
Ordered the Linx 10 today. I was in two minds whether to get the 8 but i thought the 8 inch screen might be a little small for some tasks, also only having 1gb ram put me off a little. The price of the 10 is a fair bit pricier but I think the extra ram and bigger screen makes it worth it!

Can't wait to get it, really exited about having a full version of Windows on a tablet!

Caporegime
I still don't think Win 8.1 works great as a tablet OS, I still prefer my iPad for most tasks, hopefully win 10 will be a bit more slick, don't think we're getting the free upgrade on these though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't think 7 works properly with connected suspend or whatever it is, etc. so won't work properly on a tablet. You can install other OSes but its a bit hit and miss on support and/or working around the boot loader.

Associate
Are these still worth buying? I'm after a Windows tablet but for my use (general browsing, limited productivity plus a couple of (lightweight) windows specific apps), I don't think it's worth paying 3 times the price for a Surface 3.

Anything else worth considering at the 10" mark around this price point?

Back
Top Bottom