Linx 10.1 inch Windows 8 Tablet - Any good?

Soldato
Associate
Got 9GB free before it downloads Windows.

If it doesn't work this time then I think i'll buy an sd card for it and put the media onto that. Is this a standard sd card slot on these or a micro sd card?

MicroSD.
I used a usb pen to hold the windows install for this while it downloaded from the media creation tool.

Soldato
Finally after about 10 goes I'm on W10 on the Linx, only another 2 systems at home to do.

What worked in the end in case someone else experiences this is to do the following;

Copy any files you want to keep to another drive other than the system drive.

Delete some of the Metro Apps that you don't need, the store will remember which ones you had so you can reinstall them again later if needed.

Make a note of your Wifi access password.

Use the PC Settings menu from the charms bar and select the option to reset the system.

When it restarts and goes through the out of the box set up routine, I chose custom settings and switched off Windows Update (Don't need to bring W8.1 up to date first).

Connect to your Wifi and it will give you the option to sign in with your Microsoft account and the option to restore settings from a previous cloud saving of your settings to MS if you had it configured that way.

When your back in to W8.1 it's quite lean, about 20GB free space, the Metro interface has placeholders for any apps that were deleted earlier as a way to choose which ones you wish to re-download instead of having to go back into the MS Store and go into Accounts / My Apps. Of course at this stage it's not necessary to reinstall Metro Apps.

Grab the Media Creation Tool from MS, run that and it should work out OK to W10.

Now in W10 I go into properties on the System Drive and do Disk Clean Up and Clean Up System Files, go through the list and tick delete next to Windows Upgrade Files and Previous OS Install, providing you don't want to go back to W8.1 through the OS, I presume you can still go back from the recovery image drive though providing MS didn't change the program in W10 to not recognise Images from previous OS versions.

Now got 17.5 GB free, 2.5 GB less than I had with the W8.1 reset, but not bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know what the read/write speeds are for the internal 32GB drive? Just trying to figure out what would be a reasonable micro sd card to go for.

UserBenchmark: Samsung MBG4GC 31GB vs Toshiba THNSNB128GMCJ 128GB
Effective SSD Speed: 18.8% vs 17.6%
Samsung MBG4GC 31GB - 692nd / 703
Toshiba THNSNB128GMCJ 128GB - 694th / 703

I uploaded userbenchmark score but noticed seq read & write is not quite accurated, tested with CrystalDiskMark got 165MB/s read and 70MB/s write.

Found microSD slot spec, it has maximum transfer rate of 104MB/s read and write. Other site selling microSD with Linx 10 compatible list worked with microSD cards up to UHS-I U3 95MB/s read and 90MB/s write and also 1 card UHS-II U3 150MB/s read worked with reader adapter in USB 3.0 port.

Associate
Looking at getting one of these and just noticed a new model, the Linx1010 with windows 10.

Always fancied a tablet so may get this new one. Hope some game like HS, Xcom, Banner saga, Shadowrun work on it, but if not....steam in-home streaming is here.

Soldato
Anyone here have the 8/810 that can give me some real life battery results?

Really tempted by one of these as the price has dropped a little bit again. Need something portable so thats why I am looking at the 810.

Thanks

Soldato
Are these still good value guys, looking at one myself

Can you upgrade the storage with SDs also wheres the cheapest place to purchase, I always look at the forest but OcUK have similar

Soldato
Are these still good value guys, looking at one myself

Can you upgrade the storage with SDs also wheres the cheapest place to purchase, I always look at the forest but OcUK have similar

not very experienced but ive been using the newer 10" 1010b for nearly a week and im very impressed, its a full blown windows 10 tiny laptop and runs a lot of things perfectly (south park: the stick of truth runs and looks perfect)

the free keyboard is much better then any touchscreen and decent quality.

i have just ordered a 64GB micro SD card as it has a slot to expand it but so far things have run fine off my 16GB card i had spare.

all in all im very impressed and moving from a HUDL 2 to this the only thing i miss is the resolution but thats not worrying me too much as its still a nice enough screen.

Soldato
Another 1010b user here - excellent value for money, will be using mine as a travel work system and an in between for my phone and laptop for light browsing and work.
Great investment and I've barely scraped the surface

Soldato
I was ready to order the 1010b but then the Lenovo Miix 300 Tablet caught my eye, spec wise it seems to beat the Linx, admittedly not by much. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I do really like the look of the NIVIDIA Shield but I will actually be using it for work :o:o:o

Back
Top Bottom