• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Liquid Metal is eating my GPU LOL!

Permabanned
so... i put Liquid Metal on my RX580 and was so impessed with the results i decided to put it on all my GPU's, i can only thank god i have a busy day and only got time to put in on my RX470.

MY 580 as a full copper plate so all is good, but the 470 is a asus DCUII cooler and as aluminium on the base. the Liquid Metal was overlaping the heat pipe by around 2mm's and this is what i got.

First photos show the cooler from a side wiew 2 days ago, and second is the cooler 18hr's asfter using Liquid Metal. the can see its rounded the sides off and distroyed the cooler.
IMG_20180929_181957.jpg

IMG_20181007_104737.jpg

Second set show the cooler and the way the Liquid Metal as distryed the aluminium.
Moral of the story Liquid Metal is NOT to touch aluminium is any way LOL!
IMG_20181007_105702.jpg

IMG_20181007_105819.jpg

the GPU is will be off the to system in the sky!

Soldato
I'm 100% sure all the liquid metal products have a warning about aluminium and maybe some other metals.

Pictures can be a visual warning for others :p

Better get looking up 3rd party gpu coolers.

If I recall from testing on an old intel cpu cooler the aluminium of that card cooler should crumble like a biscuit if you poke it.

Soldato
Impressive, I had thought about doing the same on my gtx 1070 armor but if has the same design with copper heat pipes next to aluminium.

Get on the bay, seen loads of dead gpu's being sold on there that I guess have died from mining

Permabanned
so... i put Liquid Metal on my RX580 and was so impessed with the results i decided to put it on all my GPU's, i can only thank god i have a busy day and only got time to put in on my RX470.

MY 580 as a full copper plate so all is good, but the 470 is a asus DCUII cooler and as aluminium on the base.

The moral of the story should be: Always read the instructions.

I bought the Grizzly LM recently but didn't use it because it warns us about this issue in the instructions.

I'm shocked it goes this bad though, As mentioned buy a sold as spares card online.

IMG_20181007_105702.jpg

IMG_20181007_105819.jpg

Associate
Check out Youtube for videos of Gallium applied to Aluminium to see why they say do not put Liquid Metal with Aluminium blocks, ever.

Soldato
People are too obsessed with temps.

Better to run a couple of degrees hotter than use extreme options like the one in the OP.

Actually liquid metal is safe as you follow it's warnings coming with the package.
a) Spread evenly a smallest amount on both surfaces, remove excess.
b) Do not using with aluminium.

If someone went and didn't followed those two simple rules, and the gazillion of videos out there, there is nothing to be done with them.

MY 580 as a full copper plate so all is good, but the 470 is a asus DCUII cooler and as aluminium on the base. the Liquid Metal was overlaping the heat pipe by around 2mm's and this is what i got.

First photos show the cooler from a side wiew 2 days ago, and second is the cooler 18hr's asfter using Liquid Metal. the can see its rounded the sides off and distroyed the cooler.
IMG_20180929_181957.jpg

IMG_20181007_104737.jpg

Second set show the cooler and the way the Liquid Metal as distryed the aluminium.
Moral of the story Liquid Metal is NOT to touch aluminium is any way LOL!
IMG_20181007_105702.jpg

IMG_20181007_105819.jpg

the GPU is will be off the to system in the sky!

Didn't you read the warnings on the packaging, and tube?

Permabanned
OP
Didn't you read the warnings on the packaging, and tube?

i did, i also thought i was just on the copper, when i removed the cooler you could see a 1/2mm patch that have gone onto the aluminimum and boom! lol
its all good i will stick a AIO on with some liquid meta on it too

Soldato
small blob and a few Qtips, no matter how little you put on there will also be a little bleed when you push the two sides together. this is why we must cover the IC's and resistors on the chips

FACEPALM
You didn't read the instructions. That is not the way liquid metal is applied.
And you will not find ANYWHERE ANYONE advising that method for liquid metal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom