• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Liquid Metal on GPU

Permabanned
Hi all, i have a RX580 in a small case and when gaming the GPU throttles at 80c.
i was thinking of liquid metaling the GPU, and anyone done this and did it help with temps?

Soldato
Hi all, i have a RX580 in a small case and when gaming the GPU throttles at 80c.
i was thinking of liquid metaling the GPU, and anyone done this and did it help with temps?

Yes it helps and I have done it numerous times. My last is the Vega 64 Nitro both with stock heating and under water. (before that GTX1080 & GTX1080ti)

What baffles me are your temps. What case do you have, and how many fans blowing cold air into it?

Permabanned
OP
Yes it helps and I have done it numerous times. My last is the Vega 64 Nitro both with stock heating and under water. (before that GTX1080 & GTX1080ti)

What baffles me are your temps. What case do you have, and how many fans blowing cold air into it?

the case is a Silverstone milo ml08, its very compact. i can use afterburner to up the fan profile to keep the temps down but then the noise starts to bug me

Soldato
the case is a Silverstone milo ml08, its very compact. i can use afterburner to up the fan profile to keep the temps down but then the noise starts to bug me
Sorry but you have no airflow in there in this case.
If you replace the liquid metal will drop the temps by 10C but you have to downvolt the card also if you want to see some serious drop in noise.

Soldato
can you not possibly look at changing fans out to something a bit quieter or with better flow?

I've had a 4670k and a 280x rammed in a Evga Hadron and it runs cooler than my full size desktop

Associate
can you not possibly look at changing fans out to something a bit quieter or with better flow?

I've had a 4670k and a 280x rammed in a Evga Hadron and it runs cooler than my full size desktop

I doubt it would help much if at all. The air have nowhere to exit the case so the card suffocates. When will people learn that for cases like that only blower style coolers make sense.

Soldato
I doubt it would help much if at all. The air have nowhere to exit the case so the card suffocates. When will people learn that for cases like that only blower style coolers make sense.

Tbh these are for low power cards that do not need extra power cables than the PCIe providing, not 200W ones.

Associate
Tbh these are for low power cards that do not need extra power cables than the PCIe providing, not 200W ones.
Well I got an overclocked 1080 FE in a node202 (which is even smaller) that runs at about 70c it is undervolted tho.

Permabanned
OP

the GPU now hold 69c under furmark load. stock fan profile

so... yer i got my big boy nuts on and did it. just run my first test.

The GPU would hit 80c under max setting 1080 battelfield 1 load, this in turn would make the core clock drop to around 990Mhz.

now the GPU hold's 69c under furmark with the clocks sitting at 1233Mhz, for a few secondsa the GPU was at 71c but that it blanced out, TBF this was a 7min run. lets see how it dose under a few hours of gaming load
Edit also idle temps are 29/31c, thats from over 40c

Permabanned
OP

The GPU fans are my problem, at aver 60% this make a wineing noise.

Soldato
No room to say fit one of those custom coolers on it? Like one of the Accelero’s?

Liquid metal will make some difference. But on blowers it tends to be minimal just because the cooler tends to saturate and struggle to get rid of the heat vs struggling to transfer the heat via thermal paste.

Associate
No room to say fit one of those custom coolers on it? Like one of the Accelero’s?

Liquid metal will make some difference. But on blowers it tends to be minimal just because the cooler tends to saturate and struggle to get rid of the heat vs struggling to transfer the heat via thermal paste.

Are there any blower style RX 580s..? Don't think so.

Soldato
If theres nowhere for air to exit the case then whatever cooling solution you choose will make little difference. People think fans cool things down, they don't. They only move hot air to somewhere else which allows cooler air to move in to take its place. If there is no cooler air then it'll just circulate the hot air around and around the case until the case reaches an equilibrium temperature where direct infra red radiation either from the case itself or the components inside allow energy to escape. Unfortunately that temperature may well be too high for the components to tolerate. Undervolting lowers the temperature because it drops the amount of heat being generated in the first place.

Soldato
Are there any blower style RX 580s..? Don't think so.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-580-8G

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom