Liver

Soldato
Just discovered liver again, one of the tastiest meats, cheap and easy to cook. Lightly fry with onions and add some beef stock.

Any eaters of liver?

Soldato
I love liver. Lightly fry with onions and garlic until the middle of liver pieces are slightly pink, salt added at the end to prevent it from going tough.

I use to make my own pate. Cant believe how easy, cheap and tasty it is. Seal it with melted butter before it goes in the fridge and it keeps a while too!

Soldato
It's nice but the problem is finding it suitably fresh in UK supermarkets ( similar to fish), the lifespan of offal is less than muscle, I don't know if freezing works ?
calves liver in France excellent.

Soldato
Generally I hate it.
I love most pates, parfaits and the like, but liver on its own or as a main feature is quite rank and uriney... But a few times someone has done it well enough that it's been really good. Usually something involving bacon, and presumably Black magic, as I've never been able to replicate it myself!

Kidneys handle urine.

Soldato
For you offal lovers, if you have any Filipino mates ask them for some diniguan.

My favourite dish due to the rich flavours. Not in your face strong tasting as you might imagine from the ingredient list and most inordinately worth a go.

Eat it with rice or steamed rice flour buns.

Soldato
Apart from an attentive eye and relatively low heat, adding a bit of hot water to the pan if it starts to dry up will stop it going above boiling temperature. Adding salt early in the cooking will draw moisture out of the meat making the outside go hard quickly so add it at the end

Soldato
What, in Tunbridge Wells?
Surely at least one of the butchers nearby will stock it?

Failing that, look in the MM here - Always someone selling theirs to get the newest GPU!
:D

That's a very good point, I have 2 very close to me I just always forget to pop in!

I've only lived here for 6 months so still learning where's good to get these things.

Soldato
I personally drawn the line at sweetbreads. You're not kidding anyone calling it sweetbread. Maybe mixed up in a pig's fry without any overt pre-knowledge it would contain sweetbread then I would probably would down it without a problem, but it having it identifiable in a meal, no.

Back
Top Bottom