Living next door to ******?

Soldato
I'm not sure comparing buying a house in a city that suffered urban decay, the unemployment rate hitting 25% ten years ago, and catastrophic population decline with a guy buying a house opposite a traveller camp is overly relevant.

I don't disagree with your sentiment exactly but Detroit is pretty much unique in terms of the challenges it has faced recently.
The example isn’t great but the comment “It's like buying a house in an area with a very high risk of flooding, for example.” is where it’s at :p

Man of Honour
I'm not sure comparing buying a house in a city that suffered urban decay, the unemployment rate hitting 25% ten years ago, and catastrophic population decline with a guy buying a house opposite a traveller camp is overly relevant.

I don't disagree with your sentiment exactly but Detroit is pretty much unique in terms of the challenges it has faced recently.

I was thinking of an example of low house prices not offsetting the downsides of living in a location and Detroit came to my mind because it's the most famous example. It wasn't a direct comparison.

Insane. So many prices like that. Surely the homeless should snap one up?

Council tax and utilities bills come to mind. But it might be cheaper for the USA to buy those houses and pay the bills and allow currently homeless people to live there completely free than to continue the current system.

Here's another example of how extreme the prices are. I'm a minimum wage flunkey and I could buy that 4 bedroom detached house with 2 bathrooms and 2 gardens from my savings, no mortgage required. Quite a few people here could buy that house with a single month's pay or less.

Soldato
The example isn’t great but the comment “It's like buying a house in an area with a very high risk of flooding, for example.” is where it’s at :p

Like I said, I don't disagree with the sentiment. Though my main concern would be the potential difficulty in reselling rather than anti social behaviour, crime stats can provide that info and then you make a decision like anywhere else. However I would imagine it will put potential buyers off, and the scope for expansion would worry me too.

Caporegime
We live under a five min drive from one, it's probably 2miles away if that.

Generally, nothing happens. However we had the rare occasion of a few turning up at the local pub then causing a ruckus, and lately so many local vans are getting broken into its scary how many people just point the finger, but you do wonder.

Soldato
OP
Interested that nobody yet has made the connection intended in my OP title with Kevin Bloody Wilson! :D

Hey, ho.

I suppose it will only mean anything to those of, erm, a certain generation!

:p :cool:

Associate
No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO

Caporegime
We live under a five min drive from one, it's probably 2miles away if that.

Generally, nothing happens. However we had the rare occasion of a few turning up at the local pub then causing a ruckus, and lately so many local vans are getting broken into its scary how many people just point the finger, but you do wonder.

Annnnnnd two more vans broken into this afternoon

Caporegime
No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO No No No NO

There's no limit!

Untz, untz, untz, untz, techno, techno, techno!

I wonder if there is a subset of 'standard' criminals who use travelers coming to an area as a free pass to criminal it up with them probably getting the blame instead.

Caporegime
There's no limit!

Untz, untz, untz, untz, techno, techno, techno!

I wonder if there is a subset of 'standard' criminals who use travelers coming to an area as a free pass to criminal it up with them probably getting the blame instead.

Where my dad lives in Newcastle is a very nice area however every year there is a surge in crime when the local traveller fayre is held on the town moor.
The police and council insist that there's no correlation and that it's more local criminals using it as an excuse.
They seemed confused when I pointed out during a meeting with them one day that it's a bit odd they only break in to cars and houses for 2 weeks a year...nowhere near Christmas. Could they perhaps point out another area in the country with such a spike.

Appleby. :D:D:D

Literally couldn't make it up.

Soldato
Haha, not in a million years. You'll literally have to nail everything down or it'll get stolen (that is still no guarantee, nails are metal afterall).

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Where my dad lives in Newcastle is a very nice area however every year there is a surge in crime when the local traveller fayre is held on the town moor.
The police and council insist that there's no correlation and that it's more local criminals using it as an excuse.
They seemed confused when I pointed out during a meeting with them one day that it's a bit odd they only break in to cars and houses for 2 weeks a year...nowhere near Christmas. Could they perhaps point out another area in the country with such a spike.

Appleby. :D:D:D

Literally couldn't make it up.

cable theft on the metro always goes up when the hoppings is in town as well

Associate
I thought we'd never sell our house due to its location (edge of a rough estate) but was bought to turn into a rental. I guess it goes to show that you can sell anything to the right people but better to not take the risk in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom