Living Room with in-wall 7.1.4 and PJ

Associate
Just stumbled on this part of the forum and thought I'd share my current project all the details are here
https://cookhousestory.wordpress.com/

The new home cinema will look something like this

speaker_placement_4.jpg

projector_ceiling.png

Since Louise (my wife) pretty much hates speakers on display, my final solution is to have in-wall (and in-ceiling) speakers for 7.1.4 atmos surround. I have a BK Electric Monolith DF 600+ sub-woofer, which I will be keeping for this setup.

kef_ci5160_thx_900x900.jpg

3 x Kef Ci-5160RL-THX
900x900_ci200ql_2_1.jpg

4 x Kef Ci200QL
kef_ci200_thx_1_900x900.jpg

4 x Kef Ci200RR-THX
These will be powered by a Anthem MRX1120 receiver, it was this or the Arcam AVR850, but the Arcam required additional amplification for the Atmos speakers and I didn’t want the additional equipment. I will set the AV equipment up in the corner by the PC, so the HDMI run to the projector is fairly short and I can make use of the new ‘false’ wall for ease of cabling.

1016ant-promo_.jpg

Anthem MRX1120
mrx1120-details-2.jpg

Anthem MRX1120
The projection screen will be a 120inch wide, 2.35:1 tab tensioned electric screen, that will be installed flush with the ceiling. I will be getting a JVC X9500 projector and a Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240.

x500_3_1_1_2.jpg

JVC X9500
lumagen_radiance_pro_424x.jpg

Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240

Also I have an Oppo 203!

In-ceiling I will have the atmos ceiling speakers and philips hue colour downlighters GU10s

dcook_ceiling_layout.png

Whilst I'm waiting for it to be finished I've set myself up in the dining room, making sure we have the essentials.

Man Cave by dancook1982, on Flickr

at this time of posting, here's where we are with the extension, still yet to knock through inside.

l1370461.jpg

Soldato
Since Louise (my wife) pretty much hates speakers on display,

As to that, £6000 can get you hell of a lot of decent regular speakers. Those THX inwalls are £2000 a pop. Yikes. I'm not sure how a inwall compares to similar speaker for sound quality, like for like in drivers.

Something is wrong with your wife, some stunning furniture grade speakers around

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg5MjI=/z/tdYAAOSwB-1Y4o0n/$_86.JPG

I'd probably have a curtain over the glass doors.

Associate
OP
As to that, £6000 can get you hell of a lot of decent regular speakers. Those THX inwalls are £2000 a pop. Yikes. I'm not sure how a inwall compares to similar speaker for sound quality, like for like in drivers.

Something is wrong with your wife, some stunning furniture grade speakers around

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg5MjI=/z/tdYAAOSwB-1Y4o0n/$_86.JPG

I'd probably have a curtain over the glass doors.

I do like 'regular' speakers - but those you've linked would not be my taste and my wife would loathe them.

Curtains won't be an immediate thing, something I can consider later though.

Soldato
Long term I'd also leave space for a power amplifier, I'd probably look into a 3 channel for the three front array. Power outputs from that AVR don't seem too steller, in fact I'd probably say pretty woeful

MAXIMUM CONTINUOUS OUTPUT (1% THD)
MRX 1120 MRX 720 MRX 520
Channels 1-5, Two Driven into 8 Ohms 140 W 140 W 100 W
Channels 1-5, Two Driven into 6 Ohms 170 W 170 W 130 W
Remaining Channels, Two Driven into 8 Ohms 60 W 60 W n/a
Remaining Channels, Two Driven into 6 Ohms 75 W 75 W n/a

Especially if your fronts are 4ohm then I'd recommend dedicated amplifiers. That frees up power for the remaining channels too.

I'm using a couple of these btw
https://soundapproach.com/ati-amplifier-technologies-at-2000-series-stereo-amplifier.html

Associate
I'd also suggest an acoustically transparent screen so you can have the centre speaker behind the screen and it's one less for your good lady to look at.

By all means have a look at my home cinema thread for ideas from the link in my sig, although I'm in the process of changing the photo links thanks to those gits at photobucket.

Soldato
Like to see power output when all 11 channels are driven in a Atmos setup. I'd take a bet it'll be around 45-50W maximum. :-/

My speakers are 4ohm as well (in fact dip to about 2 ohm)

Associate
OP
I'd also suggest an acoustically transparent screen so you can have the centre speaker behind the screen and it's one less for your good lady to look at.

By all means have a look at my home cinema thread for ideas from the link in my sig, although I'm in the process of changing the photo links thanks to those gits at photobucket.

I chose not to have acoustically transparent screen it was the difference between something like 2.5k and 5.5k - for a 2.35:1 120inch wide electric tab tensioned screen.

The speakers will have painted grills so they match the wall colour :)

Soldato
I assume a installer is doing it? Use it for a month then ask if you can borrow a power amplifier and see what you think.
Power amplifiers can be added anytime and pretty easily, just RCA cables, connect the cable up to the new amp, then re-do ARC. As long as you have access to the gear and space in the racking.

FYI you don't have to match processor and power amp brands, although there be be gain problems if the two are consideribly different.

Your speakers are efficient at 90dB or so so they don't need hundreds of watts of power, but that 4ohm could be a problem.

Associate
OP
I assume a installer is doing it? Use it for a month then ask if you can borrow a power amplifier and see what you think.
Power amplifiers can be added anytime and pretty easily, just RCA cables, connect the cable up to the new amp, then re-do ARC. As long as you have access to the gear and space in the racking.

FYI you don't have to match processor and power amp brands, although there be be gain problems if the two are consideribly different.

Your speakers are efficient at 90dB or so so they don't need hundreds of watts of power, but that 4ohm could be a problem.

Thanks,

I don't have a dedicated installer for this.

The electrician, carpenter/builder will help fit and cable everything up.

I have a friend who is a professional AV calibration expert, who will calibrate my setup when done, perhaps he will have something I can borrow, we will see.

Soldato
Make sure the Anthem is well ventilated, if it's in a cupboard or enclosed space make sure it's open all round, and I'd put a couple of low rpm 14cm computer fans. Monitor the Anthem tempeatures.

Associate
OP
Make sure the Anthem is well ventilated, if it's in a cupboard or enclosed space make sure it's open all round, and I'd put a couple of low rpm 14cm computer fans. Monitor the Anthem tempeatures.

It won't be enclosed and will have space above it.

I'm having a shelf unit made for my AV equipment, same dimensions as this

ladder1.jpg

But with an oak/steel finish

industrial-ladder-bookcase-oak-steel-shelving-bookshelf-shelf-shelves.jpg

Soldato
Carpet is essential. Wouldn't consider a cinema room without it.

Yup just too echoey and reflective sound. Remember a high end system, literally £100,000 per component and in a apartment, glass everywhere, wooden floors, no soft furniture. You can imagine how bad it sounds. A well setup £2000 system in a carpetted room would sound better.

As for power amplifier there's this you need a fork lift truck to move it lol

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/in...ature-seven-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier.html

Associate
OP
Yup just too echoey and reflective sound. Remember a high end system, literally £100,000 per component and in a apartment, glass everywhere, wooden floors, no soft furniture. You can imagine how bad it sounds. A well setup £2000 system in a carpetted room would sound better.

As for power amplifier there's this you need a fork lift truck to move it lol

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/in...ature-seven-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier.html

My setup costs a lot less than you think, I'm not spending that much!

Back
Top Bottom