Living the laptop one cable life - I think I'm done with desktops

Soldato
You can be as dismissive as you like. You’re fully entitled to your opinion and I disagree. You’ve made your point. Slow magnetic hard drives are cheaper than fast SSDs. That’s true. As a user experience they’re horrible, even as local data storage drives. They just are. That’s why people stopped using them for that. SSDs are just better for everything except £/Gb.

And if you honestly think SSD is better for mass storage when you're storing pictures, movies and music, you are mistaken.

If a movie is 4gb-40gb you don't need a SSD to have those read speeds.

Even a 4k Blu-ray rip will be play from regular bhd

SSD has benefit of totally silence and lower heat, but for Nas, music, movies a SSD isn't rights right choice.

As soon as I press play on flac file music plays. You honestly think you need 500mb-5000mb sec read rate?

LOL.

Soldato
It's not just about the read speed. Its also how long you have to wait for it to start. You say it plays immediately when in truth an SSD would find the data faster and access it faster. You might well have normalised your slow response times and don't even realise what a poor user experience you have.

As I say, if you're happy with your 'normal' user experience then great.

Other than £/Gb there is no advantage to HDD. They are physically bigger, more prone to failure within warranty because of the moving mechanical parts, use significantly more power and they're SLOW. Keep laughing - I think you just invented the Slow Entertainment movement.

Man of Honour
OP
Are you using an external GPU in this setup or don't need the power?
I assume that was a question for me. No I'm not using an eGPU for this. I don't need the power. I still have my Ryzen desktop with GPU for gaming. For everything else I'm using this quad core i5 with onboard GPU. However the laptop does have Thunderbolt if I ever get rid of the desktop and want an eGPU.

Soldato
Haha I totally missed this but when I bought an LG Q27h I was also introduced to single cable. I ended up retrofitting my Dell S27 with a USB C hub -- unfortunately the laptop got cooked (Teams would crash with incoming video) when video was pumped through USB C dock as well, so it's a 2 cable setup (1x USBC and 1x HDMI) but still delivers Webcam, Mouse, Keyboard, Video, Charge...

Game changing technology at work too as you can plug into a monitor with integrated teleconferencing camera and proper mic/speakers.

Edit: https://imgur.com/gallery/O4qVnos if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see this thread is a bit of a necro, but for your amusement, I decided to upgrade my main rig 18 months ago, bought all the new bits, Ryzen mobo, cpu, ram etc, new block for the cpu, a 3080 and water block for it. Stripped down the old PC to the bare case and first made a start on fitting the water block to the gpu. Then I fatefully though to myself "You know I have that gaming laptop I hardly ever use, why don't I get into using that whilst I take my time building this new PC, that would be a good idea wouldn't it". 18 months later that stripped down 3080 gpu is literally where I left it with the water block still next to it, and everything else still in their boxes.

Gaming laptops are dangerous. As is fundamental inherent laziness.

Back
Top Bottom