Logan. The Wolverine ere

Caporegime
Just came back from watching it.

Very good, it didn't feel like all the X-Men movies before it, it is much more than that. Where as the previous tries too hard, too many characters, the whole human and mutant co-exist and the world be at peace idea. This one concentrates on much smaller scale and it is all the better for it. The little girl who star in it is just brilliant.

There are moments and scenes I felt too a few seconds too long, the running time was over 2 hours easy and it felt it in part.

9/10

/aside from the guy next to me keep checking his phone every 10mins, although trying to do it discretely...the movie was amazing

Associate
Just came back from watching it.

Very good, it didn't feel like all the X-Men movies before it, it is much more than that. Where as the previous tries too hard, too many characters, the whole human and mutant co-exist and the world be at peace idea. This one concentrates on much smaller scale and it is all the better for it. The little girl who star in it is just brilliant.

There are moments and scenes I felt too a few seconds too long, the running time was over 2 hours easy and it felt it in part.

9/10

/aside from the guy next to me keep checking his phone every 10mins, although trying to do it discretely...the movie was amazing

I think that it was the best film in the whole x-men universe. There was so much to love and I'm watching it again this Friday.

Current Ranking of x-men films:
  1. Logan
  2. DOFP
  3. X2
  4. First Class
  5. The Wolverine
  6. TLS/Apocalypse/W:Orgins.

Easy 8.5/10, probably 9/10 but it depends on Friday.

Caporegime
I think that it was the best film in the whole x-men universe. There was so much to love and I'm watching it again this Friday.

Current Ranking of x-men films:
  1. Logan
  2. DOFP
  3. X2
  4. First Class
  5. The Wolverine
  6. TLS/Apocalypse/W:Orgins.

Easy 8.5/10, probably 9/10 but it depends on Friday.

You can definitely feel this one has more care and attention to it than the previous. It feels like they really did put the art before money in this movie. Less concern about getting the wider audience and concentrate on what makes a good film instead of a summer blockbuster. I mean there are a lot of great comic book movies made so far, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Solider etc but this one, on the merit of a good movie, tops them all. The acting is a league above the others too from Jackman. He is more than the previous X-Men movies where he just came across as grumpy and annoyed most of the time.

Man of Honour
I enjoyed myself but I have mixed views.

It was good to see some actual violent use of special powers for once - I think everyone wanted this and to see a more 'adult' version of x men. But I almost think they too far the other way, not necessarily with just the violence but with other things that seemed to try and make it intentionally adult. The dialogue was just chock full of swearing and it felt really odd to me - prof Xavier having a mouth like that felt akin to jumping the shark. Also was there a need for the boobies? Really? Is it gritty enough for you yet? How about now? And now?! It didn't ruin it for me but it doesn't have to be like that to be good and I hope film makers don't think it HAS to be like that going forwards.

A few things were left a little underexplained for my liking (where did the cash come from? Wolverine clone?) - I suspect those things might be obvious from the comics but I do like a film to stand on its own two feet.

On the good stuff - the whole segment with the family and the house was brilliant. Tension building and then a holy moly what on earth is going on moment, with some very satisfying action towards the end. Action was generally fantastic and how they dealt with Xavier (ignoring the aforementioned potty mouth) felt fresh and was interesting.

Laura was well done and got stuck in too!

Overall very enjoyable but a couple of missteps (mentioned above) and the inetivable docking of a point for being too long. Stop making films that are too long!!! It can't be that hard can it?!

7/10

Soldato
My screening must have been dodgy because my immediate first thought at the end was what happened to...

Richard E Grant's character. In my mind, he seemed to have disappeared without consequence but after checking wikipedia, it says Logan killed him?? :confused:

Anyway, I thought it was excellent and definitely worth watching. I saw JW2 earlier this week and that was pants compared to this. :p

edit: Having just looked at Nitefly's spoiler, I don't recall any...

boobies either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My screening must have been dodgy because my immediate first thought at the end was what happened to...

Richard E Grant's character. In my mind, he seemed to have disappeared without consequence but after checking wikipedia, it says Logan killed him?? :confused:

Anyway, I thought it was excellent and definitely worth watching. I saw JW2 earlier this week and that was pants compared to this. :p

edit: Having just looked at Nitefly's spoiler, I don't recall any...

boobies either.

reply below

Logan shot Richard E Grant's character at the end. The boobs were in the limo at the start when he was doing the driving around the place with different clients.

Commissario
I went to see it with my brother, brother in law and nephews and we all really enjoyed it, it's what the other wolverine films should have been.

Nitefly
The clone came from samples taken from him as shown in the previous films (Grant's character is the son of one of the Doctors that experimented on Logan and gave him his adamantium skeleton), the girl and the other kids were all partial clones where the genes were inserted into embryo's or something, but the young wolverine is a pure grown clone.
It's mentioned in the film that the kids were considered a failure as they didn't want to fight, so they tried to recreate the original fighter (the clone wolverine is close to what the original was after first escaping).

Soldato
did not have the feel to an xmen movie, very well made, great action scenes, bit too long

but something missing for me, just felt to "contrived"

7/10

Caporegime
I saw this last night and, and... though my friends loved it, I really didn't like it.

Why?

1) The writing and acting was awful in places. The Professor especially, even taking into account his dementia, did not do a great job. From the swearies that were shoe-horned in, to his general alzheimers-esque behaviour, to the way they cynically used him to plug the feeble and kindly old man act to get them together with the farmer family... it was just not convincingly done to me, it was too overplayed. It was altogether a very ignominious and unsatisfying death for a character of such gravitas, and yes, I am still taking into account his circumstances. It just could have been done with a bit more attention and effort.

2) The set pieces were so contrived. I mean seriously, sometimes I was face palming myself with how jarringly obvious and unsubtle they were. Going down the motorway to suddenly and randomly getting run off the road, to suddenly saving horses, to suddenly staying with a morally perfect family living in hard times that then get butchered... it was tough to watch without feeling like I was having a joint of ham repeatedly shoved in my face. Sloppy writing.

The nurse home videos were just cringeworthy... she really overplayed the drama to the point where you were just like.... nah, no way would she be able to function like that up to the point where she released the kids. She has presumably worked for years in a top secret facility where she knows they have done unspeakable things to mutant children. At least try and make it convincing.

Also Laura... she annoyed me. Not speaking for the first half of the movie and then all of a sudden firing machine gun spanish and then all of a sudden switching to good English? There was no logic behind it, no sense of a traumatised girl forcing out her first words in months, no sense of angst or pain. In fact, barring her wee shrieks as she stabbed people in the face she looked pretty placid and bordering on amused for the majority of the movie until then. IMO they really played the card that a violent and cool little girl would be enough in itself without putting much effort into a solid character.

It was also badly explained as to why when they crossed the border they would somehow magically be safe from a bionic special ops team that could apparently do what the **** it wanted with impunity. The bad guys just felt lame, and the doctor guy was plain awful in the acting and the delivery of his lines.

At the end where she said "Daddy...", my eyes almost rolled out of their sockets. I was happy when the movie finally ended.

6/10 for me...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I went to see it with my brother, brother in law and nephews and we all really enjoyed it, it's what the other wolverine films should have been.

Nitefly
The clone came from samples taken from him as shown in the previous films (Grant's character is the son of one of the Doctors that experimented on Logan and gave him his adamantium skeleton), the girl and the other kids were all partial clones where the genes were inserted into embryo's or something, but the young wolverine is a pure grown clone.
It's mentioned in the film that the kids were considered a failure as they didn't want to fight, so they tried to recreate the original fighter (the clone wolverine is close to what the original was after first escaping).
Thanks for the explanation! I still feel they could have made it a touch more obvious - I'm aware of his lab backgrounds but clearly missed the relevant film.

Soldato
Richdog: that explains quite a lot of what i felt and couldnt quite put my finger on why i was feeling it..

btw, you might want to put that in spoiler alert tags..

Man of Honour
I didn't feel like the set pieces were contrived as you described - I didn't know what to expect from the moment they were 'on the road'... certainly not the sequence of events that occurred. Perhaps I'm a bit dumb, or your intuition is insane! :p

As for the other points, I can't quibble. They just didn't bug me.

Soldato
Wow just got back from watching in Imax and not that Imax adds anything but this film compared to all the other X men was something else. Recommend this to anyone who will enjoy a more mature no sky beam comic book film.

The stacks actually felt higher with it not being the generic sky beam of doom on a city that usually happens.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Logan - Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart was excellent and made a great send off to the movie. The girl who played Laura/X-23 was surprisingly good and worked well in this story which is extremely unusual for young characters particular in this type of genre. It really brought a tear to my eye seeing Wolverine fight in his full glory and show how the character is meant to be portrayed. It sad also seeing how they finally got it right in the end which for me was far too late, particulary how many times they tried and failed for the sake of having PG viewign rating in the past.

Thoroughly enjoyed this but sad this is the final one. 8/10. Not perfect but definitely heading in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom