Logan. The Wolverine ere

Man of Honour
I've not seen this yet but it does seem to be getting good reviews. I think Deadpools surprise success has given the film industry the confidence to make things a little more violent.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Fox's biggest mistake in all of their previous Wolverine outings is taking ideas from the source materials but not using the story in its entirety. Normally because of either lazy writing and filling the gaps with made up PG-13 nonsense or limited by restrictions due to character rights. For me the production was not familiar enough to the comic material unlike Marvel. So many good stories to choose from and messed it up so many times.

X-23 was solid imo and covered the base of her background Unite well however I would have thought someone like Daken would have been better antagonist. The Reavers in particular was a pale comparison to dangerous Cyborg Mutant hunters from the comic. The story wasnt remotely close to Old Man Logan because of the reasons mentioned, and more along the lines of Death of Wolverine story arc.

Waking up this morning still happy but sad Hugh doesn't want to do it anymore. Glad they fit the big heavy bearded sideburns into the movie lol!! It was a final tribute to his look in the comics.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Thanks for the explanation! I still feel they could have made it a touch more obvious - I'm aware of his lab backgrounds but clearly missed the relevant film.
This is pure main arc material from the comics but most of the other bits where made up.

Currently Wolverine is also dead after the death of Logan story arc, Laura/X23 has taken the mantle of Wolverine. She Is a bit older than the girl in the film. Who knows how they will eventually bring back Logan, don't worry they always do. Main popular Heros always make it back in one way shape or form :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is pure main arc material from the comics but most of the other bits where made up.

Currently Wolverine is also dead after the death of Logan story arc, Laura/X23 has taken the mantle of Wolverine. She Is a bit older than the girl in the film. Who knows how they will eventually bring back Logan, don't worry they always do. Main popular Heros always make it back in one way shape or form :D

This is an alternate timeline from DOFP, so there will (imo) definitely be another wolverine recasting at some point.

Soldato
Watched it today and loved it, best film in ages. Graphic action, violent when it needed to be when the rage came, funny and touching too. Scenes with Charles were amazing, loved the way they talked so frankly to each other.
10/10 film for me.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
This is an alternate timeline from DOFP, so there will (imo) definitely be another wolverine recasting at some point.
Rich been trying to find more info on this, did you mean because of what happened in DoFP it is a different timeline. My take was they
altered the main timelines and basically erased all history of the previous one.
so doesn't this mean Logan is continuation of the main story universe?

if you've got 15 minutes then i'd suggest watching the below video. explains it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGHDTIUt0s

Sorry didn't see this while I was posting. Will check it out. Thanks

Soldato
Holy moley what a movie! SO GOOD!! How is this not being talked about more here. So good, so brutal. Hugh is just amazing as Logan and that little girl is a beast! 9/10. One of the best movies i've seen at the cinema for ages. The tone is just spot on. Want to see again and will pick up Bluray.

Associate
This movie was superb. Easily the best X-Men movie, which wasn't hard since the rest are garbage (Days of Future Past was OK though).
I was suprised the studio allowed such a brutal ending. After all the malarkey of the previous movies, the X-Men get wiped out by Prof X, who ends up demented and then killed by a clone of Logan who kills Logan too. Imagine The Avengers ended with the Hulk killing all of the Avengers and then being murdered by a clone of himself.

Soldato
Went to see it last night and this is by far the best super hero/xmen movie to date. It's just so well made after watching all the XMen movies. Well recommended to anyone.

Associate
Just got back. Absolutely amazing. One of the best superhero films by far, but it goes beyond a typical comic book movie, because frankly there's very little actual mutant-y stuff or X-Men stuff in general. In that respect, it's simply a brilliant film, full stop.

I thought I wouldn't like the girl, because not to sound harsh, but unless you've got someone special, child actors can be kinda naff, but she was great.

I'm really surprised it managed a 15 rating too. Deadpool seemed way less graphic and that was an 18, so not sure how they got this as a 15. It's just a shame that this is exactly what everyone has been clamouring for with a Wolverine movie, and it's on Hugh's last.

Soldato
Saw this last night with the missus, and was very sad. Like most of you, I've followed Hugh through all the X-Men films etc so it was surprising to see him looking old and sick of life as he was. The girl was incredible I thought and since I hadn't seen any of the trailers I had no idea what her abilities were.

I have to agree with Rich on his points though as I didn't really feel the movie. It was a good film but it didn't really hit me hard like I wanted it to. 7/10

I facepalmed when the morally good family appeared because it was obvious what would happen to them, and the 'Daddy' bit at the end made me rolleyes. Also it would have been nice to learn more about Mr.Photo Sensitivity bloke - was he just some random mutant or has he got history?

It definitely earned that rating though!

Last edited:
Commissario
Caliban's got a long history in the Marvel universe, and from what I remember has been both a friend and enemy (and everything in between) to the X-men at one point or another, I think normally he's slightly at odds with them, but not actively and deliberately hostile*.
But this is Marvell Universe so like key members of the main X-men team he's also been a serious enemy to them, as well as a good ally and at times accidental/misunderstood enemy.:p

Back
Top Bottom