1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Climate Protests

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by crinkleshoes, Apr 17, 2019.

1. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Wind turbines will slow the air circulation down in the atmosphere - the air rivers if you will.
    This will have an impact on the global distribution of moisture and heat.

I guess a large scale wind turbines usage would ultimately cause global cooling, not warming.

Wind turbines contribute to climate change, study finds
    https://www.thenational.ae/uae/scie...ribute-to-climate-change-study-finds-1.777393

But all is about simulations on supercomputers, only they can tell what's about to happen.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

To be fair at industrial level globally things like solar panels and ground/air source heat pumps, etc. will also have impacts like that - it might be negligible when it is the odd person doing it but on a large scale it will impact our climate.

3. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Completely, but I think we should focus first on getting a grip on runaway climate issue we have, then start worrying about the ones that might follow!

4. Nasher

Capodecina

There is no free energy so its all going to have an impact somewhere else. We might not realise it straight away.

5. nkata

Soldato

In the UK where you are hardly an hour or two away from a coastline I have always considered 'Tidal' as the great unused, underdeveloped energy source.

6. Devilman

Gangster

The problem with Tidal seems to be that most of the currently tried / tested setups only work in very specific locations with high tidal ranges to drive those underwater turbines.

Almost anything that's been tried to extract Tidal power "directly" from the motion of waves etc.. just seems to get trashed in the end by mother nature.

7. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Hair shirt brigade don’t like barrages as they’re too ecologically disruptive and there is no other proven tidal tech.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

Sure, because why would we want wildlife?

9. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Here's an interesting factoid for all the people that say 'yeh but the cobolt in batteries is mined by children' when explaining why EV's are terrible.

Cobalt is used in refining oil to remove the sulphur and its only used once and its gone and they use a lot of it.

https://www.cobaltinstitute.org/desulphurisation.html

10. dowie

Caporegime

That perhaps is a "factoid", thanks to social media?

Back in reality cobalt mining is an issue when it comes to electric vehicles:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/03/the-dirty-secret-of-electric-vehicles/

11. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Can you show what I said was false? You haven’t so far.

I also never said it wasn’t also used in the manufacture of batteries, I was just pointing out people trying to take the moral high ground on the cobalt issue can’t.

There is also a key difference between using it to make a one time use fuel and a battery pack that can be used for decades.

It also doesn’t all go into EVs, far from it.

12. dowie

Caporegime

I didn't say it did all go into electric vehicles I'm highlighting that it is clearly an issue there and 60% of the demand for it is for the manufacture of batteries, this is likely to increase as EVs become more popular thus pointing out some other use of cobalt doesn't negate the concerns there.

I also highlighted the meaning of the word "factoid" as I think you've misused the word and assumed a different meaning.

13. Nasher

Capodecina

It will massively increase. EVs are a tiny percentage of cars at the moment.

When we all need a ton of batteries, the problems will be more obvious.

14. D.P.

Caporegime

Except we wont be using li-ion with cobalt, something more like alu-o2

15. Nasher

Capodecina

So we'll need aluminium instead. Also mined so the same problems continue.

16. JeditOjanen

Mobster

On the other hand bauxite is one of the most common minerals in the world and it's strip mined rather than dug so it's less polluting (albeit less friendly to the environment in other ways). You also get gallium from it, which is used in LEDs and transistors.

17. D.P.

Caporegime

Do you have any idea how coal is extracted?.

For alu batteries you can recycle coke cans

18. Nasher

Capodecina

But that is almost all recycled already. So we'll still need to mine a lot more.