London - most annoying place in the world?

Permabanned
Hi,

I've just had the displeasure of spending one week in the capital. I've never been a fan of London, but I will NEVER work there after this week.

I couldn't think of everywhere I'd less like to be. The most annoying part is just the sheer number of people, you can't pop into a quiet place to stop and just take a break.

It feels like if you stop walking on the pavement for a second, people would just simply walk right over you.

Does anyone actually enjoy London (apart from nightlife of course)?????

It's not like I'm not a fan of city living generally I love Manchester and Bristol!

Davem

Soldato
Yeh i hate the place, i know its old, but in comparison to new york and sydney (i know there not capitals) its a dirty **** hole. People are very rude too.

Permabanned
OP
ChroniC said:
Yeh i hate the place, i know its old, but in comparison to new york and sydney (i know there not capitals) its a dirty **** hole. People are very rude too.

Yeah, filthy I agree with that too. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to live there, fair enough if you have to.

I honestly think if I was offered an extra 25k to work in London I'd turn it down and stay in Bristol.

Want a hell hole, they should raize the lot and make a nice park :p

Soldato
You can easily find a quiet place to sit if you know where you're going, i wouldn't know anywhere nice if i went to any other big city, its the same for London.

No other place in the UK is as easy or as cheap to get around in, or has such a wealth of things to do, its not all about the nightlife, you have the museums, attractions and theatre as well.

Best place in the UK to live in my opinion, but then again i like the City atmosphere.

Great place to work (depending on your job of course).

You either hate London or you love it, but you can't argue that its totally unique and offers more variety and entertainment value than any other UK city.

/strokes his oyster card.

Soldato
DAVEM said:
Yeah, filthy I agree with that too. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to live there, fair enough if you have to.

I honestly think if I was offered an extra 25k to work in London I'd turn it down and stay in Bristol.

Want a hell hole, they should raize the lot and make a nice park :p
There are lots of nice parks already here.

To be honest I thought exactly the same thing as you when I first moved down here (having lived all my life in Manchester) and hated London for a while.
You've just got to find the right places to go, even now I dread having to go anywhere near Oxford Street.

Soldato
i moved here 2 months ago, i agree it is really busy but its so much fun watching the people there's so much going on. i work in westminster so its really clean here, they're always painting or sweeping something :)

MW

Permabanned
OP
Haircut said:
There are lots of nice parks already here.

To be honest I thought exactly the same thing as you when I first moved down here (having lived all my life in Manchester) and hated London for a while.
You've just got to find the right places to go, even now I dread having to go anywhere near Oxford Street.

Well I was staying near the Tate Modern, and walking towards Charings Cross (sp?). And I didn't see anything remotely approaching a park.

The undergound at peak times, feels like being a bean in a can of baked beans, really horrid feeling, make me feel a little sick to be honest.

Manchester (&Bristol) just feel cleaner, more relaxed places. People seem to stop and chat, there's more of an identity.

Associate
ChroniC said:

I found New York to be pretty grimy, and the average New Yorker really is no more polite than the average Londoner. The two cities are pretty much interchangeable imho.

Soldato
Wembley, Wimbeldon, Twickenham, The Oval, White Hart Lane, The Immigrant Stadium, Stamford Bridge, Upton Park, Tate Britain, Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery, British Museum, Science Museum, Nation History Museum, Brixton Academy, The Astoria, Koko, The Forum, Oxford Street, Bond Street, Knightsbridge, Brick Lane, Camden Market, Shaftesbury Avenue... I've got a short attention span (thanks MTV!) but I never tire of London. :)

It's also got a very vibrant jobs market, which helps pay for all of the entertainment on offer.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be a tourist in London. Certain parts of the capital are horrible tourist traps. You need to know where to go and where to avoid in London and that's hard if you're a visitor.

Caporegime
DAVEM said:
It feels like if you stop walking on the pavement for a second, people would just simply walk right over you.

To be fair, one of the things I hate about London is people doing just that. Stopping on the pavement and generally getting in my way.

Permabanned
OP
Tunney said:
Wembley, Wimbeldon, Twickenham, The Oval, White Hart Lane, The Immigrant Stadium, Stamford Bridge, Upton Park, Tate Britain, Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery, British Museum, Science Museum, Nation History Museum, Brixton Academy, The Astoria, Koko, The Forum, Oxford Street, Bond Street, Knightsbridge, Brick Lane, Camden Market, Shaftesbury Avenue... I've got a short attention span (thanks MTV!) but I never tire of London. :)

It's also got a very vibrant jobs market, which helps pay for all of the entertainment on offer.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be a tourist in London. Certain parts of the capital are horrible tourist traps. You need to know where to go and where to avoid in London and that's hard if you're a visitor.

Lots of good places to visit doesn't make London a great place. It's the general mood / atmosphere of the place, and scale of the inequality there.

I mean I was near Nelsons column watching people cue up for a days work at a building site, and the next second looking at some rich solicters place.

I've never been so happy to leave a city in my entire life,

David

Back
Top Bottom