Londoners in 'ere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not really, I know where I got the pictures from (hence the smiley), but tarting up derelict buildings to preserve what remains of the local English history is largely pointless when the majority of the local population don't understand or care about it. If the council had bothered to ask them then I'm sure they would have preferred another mosque (given that they have to pray on the streets at the moment)

Londoners have a distorted view of their world, one look at the crime rate tells me that I don't want to live there any more.

Whitechapel has, for hundreds of years, been the site of mass immigration. Local English history round these parts has been developed by the thousands of Huguenots, Jews, Armenians, Poles and now Bangladeshis. It's proximity to the docks have meant that Whitechapel is the first port of call for many arriving in London. That'll continue, but likely continue it's dilution - even the Daily Mail says so... so it must be true! It's never had traditional English history... and never will.

To be fair, I did just streetview the flat in question. (I found more accurate info)

If you walk one end out of the street, it is a bit shoddy, but most of the street itself is quite nice, and most of the cars around are pretty decent cars. Not to mention as you say quite a bit seems renovated at the moment.

Not really worried anywhere near as much as people are making out now :p

kd

It's totally fine. If you're near the University (I imagine near Bancroft Street if you're north of the main road) you've got Victoria Park a 10 minute walk, with lots of good pubs, restaurants, butchers, delis. etc. Plus you're a 10-15 minute walk from everything in Shoreditch, Old Street, Hoxton and further along is the City.

I used to live in Parsons Green. No crime, bankers and posh kids everywhere, and it was boring as hell. Whitechapel may look like a dump in comparison, but it's got a lot more to offer. The transport round here is excellent (9 minutes door to desk for me) and it's only going to improve.

:)

Permabanned
@bitslice That's the market I walk through, it's a bit eery though
I lived near Wembley and one of the high streets was exactly like those pictures of Whitechapel. It was dirty and smelly but fairly safe, just no white people appeared to live there.

It's never had traditional English history... and never will.
As those restored buildings are fairly typical of our English heritage I propose that you don't know what you are talking about :)

/

Last edited:
Soldato
As those restored buildings are fairly typical of our English heritage I propose that you don't know what you are talking about :)

/

Well the buildings are of English heritage. But they're in England, so of course they would be. So I'm not entirely sure what your point is :confused: But please feel free to spout rubbish about an area you don't really know :)

Permabanned
So I'm not entirely sure what your point is :confused: But please feel free to spout rubbish about an area you don't really know :)
Doesn't understand anything, blames me - good comeback :cool:

I'm talking about buildings, you got sidetracked into some liberal-tard race thing?

Well the buildings are of English heritage. But they're in England, so of course they would be.
Which was all my original post said, English Architecture is now being restored, but this is entirely pointless as the people who built all this have moved out. It's a blatant last stand by the council before the area crumbles into yet another London multicultural ghetto.

Do you think the local bangladeshi population cares about London stonework? This is what their cities all look like.

8260921254_f8d383441e_b_zpsa142f97b.jpg

It's like Legoland, but without the romance and mystery.

Here's a bit from the Whitechapel funding writeup about what they are investing millions into:
"From museums, parks and historic places to archaeology, natural environment and cultural traditions"
The local bangladeshi community has zero interest in any of that, those are solely the concerns of the Little England National Trust members.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't understand anything, blames me - good comeback :cool:

I'm talking about buildings, you got sidetracked into some liberal-tard race thing?

Which was all my original post said, English Architecture is now being restored, but this is entirely pointless as the people who built all this have moved out. It's a blatant last stand by the council before the area crumbles into yet another London multicultural ghetto.

Parts of Shoreditch and Spitalfields have some of the most incredible architecture in London. Most of this was built hundreds of years ago by the wealthy French and Huegenots. It then feel into disrepair when the area was largely populated by the working class Jewish immigrants of the late 1800s and early 1900s. The Jews didn't have much interest in the traditional English architecture, similarly to the local attitudes in Whitechapel at present. Nevertheless, during the 60s, 70s and 80s the Spitalfields area went through huge restoration stages and as such the area looks excellent and the local populace had changed as a result of the gentrification.

This is exactly why Whitechapel is going through a large restoration now. The area will continue to be redeveloped, restored and gentrified, with a large amount of the local immigrant population choosing to move out to cheaper areas.

So, yes. The restoration is entirely necessary and justified, and the area will continue to improve much like it's neighbours. Immigrant populations will always move on in Whitechapel. Have done so for hundreds of years.

Soldato
With regards to your edited section of the bottom of your post: my local park had been hugely redeveloped, with astro pitches put in, and the place is full of local Bangladeshis playing sport every night. So they're completely making use of it.

But also, to reiterate the point yet again, this area will largely be full of middle class City types within ten years. Meaning that the regeneration of the area will benefit the current local immigrants as well as the gentrified folk who'll ultimately replace them. The same is happening all over the east London areas framing the city.

Permabanned
I don't see them moving out of Bradford, Leicester, Birmingham or anywhere they have settled in London?
The Jews and the French have always blended in, here and in Europe, but nowhere in Europe do we see Muslims blending in. It's an entirely different culture to what has come before, you can't point at history and use that to predict the actions of a revolutionary religion. Our culture will subvert to theirs, not the other way around (or rather it will become a soulless mashup of commercial interests)

I take your point about previous cycles of gentrification, but a faster birth rate may well counteract that, people have to live somewhere

Last edited:
Soldato
The transport round here is excellent (9 minutes door to desk for me) and it's only going to improve.

:)

Yup.. with Crossrail on the way and a new station being developed (current station is way too small to accommodate the mass of people passing through), it can only get [much] better.

Soldato
I don't see them moving out of Bradford, Leicester, Birmingham or anywhere they have settled in London?
The Jews and the French have always blended in, here and in Europe, but nowhere in Europe do we see Muslims blending in. It's an entirely different culture to what has come before, you can't point at history and use that to predict the actions of a revolutionary religion. Our culture will subvert to theirs, not the other way around.

Because a 2 bedroom flat in Bradford doesn't cost the best part of half a million quid. There will become a point when the immigrants round here won't be able to afford to live here as the overspill from the city starts making roots in this area. It's already happening, I'm testament to that.

I was under the impression that this thread was focused on the pros and cons of living in a specific area of London, not a ridiculous diatribe about the lack of immigrant integration across Europe:confused:

box

box

Associate
I could say I'd never seen so many ignorant posts in one thread, but this is GD...

Drove through once and took a wrong turn. Pretty scary 30 minutes, had to check after nobody had removed bits of m car while I was on the move.

Some bits are ok but most of what I saw wasn't great.

Is your car made of lego?

Soldato
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A lot of the time if you're being stupid you'll find trouble. Generally speaking I've not heard of anyone getting robbed or hurt or shouted at for being non-Muslim. Remember those folks are Londoners too!

I think in east London you'll either absolutely love it or move on after a year or so. It seems to suit a certain type of (young) person. Personally I wouldn't want to live in east London but have friends who do and who love it. I go there from time to time and enjoy it when I do. As for curry I'd avoid brick lane unless you have a gut of steel. Tried tayyabs and needoo an thought the latter was better. However I go to the east end for a night out and not for curry as there's better to be had elsewhere.

Ultimately KD it is what you make of it. You may well love bein there or find out for yourself that you don't.

Man of Honour
Yup.. with Crossrail on the way and a new station being developed (current station is way too small to accommodate the mass of people passing through), it can only get [much] better.

Indeed it'll just boost the profile.

To be honest, London is a diverse place, and whilst there can be some dodgy areas, that's true of any city. I personally don't mind the diversity that London brings, but I'm a Johnny Foreigner anyway ;) I prefer living in the countryside (by the sea ideally) however, in spite of that I've never had any issues in London, and whilst I'm not a city person, you can have a good laugh there. :) It is expensive though!

People tend to only give you hassle if you give them hassle - being a little savvy and street wise, will let you exploit the culture and the enjoyment you can have in a varied place like London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom