1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long haul flights, tall peoples, leg rooms.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WoodyUK, Jun 18, 2019.

1. WoodyUK

Soldato

Quick thread :)

For those of you that are around the 6ft 2 mark average build, do you find 79cm legroom (supposedly average) enough for a long-haul flight? Or would you be going for an XL/Emergency Exit seat?

Thanks.

2. chroniclard

Capodecina

6ft 2 here, long haul isnt too bad with the standard leg room. However extra room is always better. :)

3. bigmike20vt

Wise Guy

doable but not pleasant. I try to get an isle seat if i can. (6'2" ...... or is that 6"2'? I would not want to do a spinal tap stone henge)

4. Azza

Caporegime

Go business or first, problem solved.

5. darkgen

Wise Guy

I'm 6'1" and find standard economy quite painful after a few hours, especially so if the passenger in front reclines their seat. Reclining my own seat just increases the discomfort. It's been premium economy all the way since that seat introduction. I travel to the states frequently.

6. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

6ft 4, I flew with tui i think to Mauritius last year, standard leg room was fine, however if i can book extra leg room and if the price is reasonable I always consider it. Legroom seems to be variable depending on carrier but tend to find short haul to be more cramped.

7. Efour

Capodecina

6'6" and I'll always book extra if not crazy money, but im quite tight and for a few hours discomfort, I'll deal with it.

Standard seats vary a little depending on carrier and position on plane, check b4.

8. Ahleckz

Capodecina

6'1, no issue. Sure, it's tight. However, it's not for that long. Have a few drinks before hand, a few on the plane and try and relax with a film or book. I make sure I don't have a bag or anything under the seat in front which helps an awful lot!

9. Quartz

Soldato

Short haul? Emergency Exit seat. Long haul? I pay for a business class seat. I'm 6'4".

10. Semple

Soldato

Can always tuck your bag near the front of the seat (assuming it's not too big) so that you can put your feet more freely under the seat in front.

An aisle is always a good shout if you really don't want to pay a premium for extra leg room.

11. Feef

Wise Guy

6'2"ish here, fly to Taiwan from Europe fairly regularly, but never had anything but standard seats. Not the most comfortable, used to always go with aisle, but now I'm often with my wife, who always wants the window. This means I end up in the middle seat, which would suck, except she curls in to a ball entirely on her seat and I stretch my legs under the seat in front of her :p

Did once get lucky on a BA flight back from Shanghai when they asked if it would be ok to put me in an emergency exit seat. That was back in 2006 though, no luck since.

12. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Once I get on, I watch the cabin door like a hawk. As soon as it shuts, I'm up out my seat and moving to an empty row/emergency exit. Much better! You have to be quick though...

13. StevieP

Soldato

I'd love to do this but business/first or even premium economy sometimes is often thousands of pounds extra - just can't make my peace with that kind of extra expenses!

14. booyaka

Capodecina

done Vegas with economy seats from Glasgow - 6ft3" - flight was £400 - extra legroom was another £500 as it was 2 flights there and 3 back. Would rather spend the £500 in Vegas!

Most of the time economy seats are fine - I usually just ask the person in front politely not to put their seat back if they wouldn't mind.

15. Megahurtz400

Sgarrista

6’3” here. It’s not comfy but I can bare it, knees are touching the seat in front 99% of the time unless I’m sat bolt upright.

Kind of works though as if the person in front of me dares to try recline their seat my legs are there to push it straight back up before they let go of the button haha :D

16. Jasoncmor

Gangster

6'3" here, first and only time I flew on Ryan air, very cramped and my knees were pushing into the seat in front.

17. bartledvd

Hitman

Fly a few times a year with virgin to the us only been on 747 tried all three classes and at 6’2” never had an issues with leg room but i am told some of there other fleet like a340 the leg room is horrible.

18. tom_nieto

Capodecina

Never had a huge problem in economy at 6’2”. Sure, if you have the money then why not upgrade, but I always think that it’s better to spend the cash when you arrive.

19. brendy

Wise Guy

Seat guru rocks. Find out the plane and carrier and go from there.
    Recently had a trip taking in a few locations in Asia then back via Dubai, flights included a couple A320's, a 737,777 300er, A380 etc and most had reasonable leg room, the A380 was by far the most spacious. I cant seem to sleep on long haul though so it's still awkward no matter how much space, it does annoy me when people board and throw their seats fully back as far as they'll go the moment we're in the air.

20. Em3bbs

Mobster

I'm 6 foot 2 and travel to the US in economy quite a lot. No issues really, as someone mentioned have a couple of beers before then some on the plane and then sleep. Decent headphones help :)

If someone offered you a few grand to sit in a slightly uncomfortable seat for 9 hours, including free drinks and food you'd probably jump at that kind of working day. ;)

21. Megahurtz400

Sgarrista

I do this with Ryanair & EasyJet flights, except I sit at the gate until I’m clearly the very last person on the plane and then get on and take my pick of where’s left haha.

Done it dozens of times and only been asked to move once.