Long Overdue Upgrade.

Soldato
Been a long time since I built my last PC.

As you can see from my sig, I'm running a Intel Q9550, 8gb DDR2.

These seem to be a bit long in the tooth now.

I will be re-using my PSU and GFX card.

• Radeon R9 290 PCS+ OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card.
  • OCZ ModXStream 780W SLI Ready Modular Power Supply.
  • SSD and HDD's will be re-cycled.

So here is what I'm looking at:

je9iVJO.jpg

comments please.....

Last edited:

tnx

tnx

Associate
You say you have an old machine, are you running a SSD ?

If not that should high on the list.

Whoops, did not read your sig...

Soldato
Ideally swap the memory for 3000MHz kit as the performance gains with 3000MHz memory are significant with Ryzen.

Also the Gigabyte Gaming 3 board is a solid board for 3000MHz compatability but you will need to check that OcUK have the latest BIOS installed on their present boards to accept the 1600 CPU (as with any board - but the Gigabyte boards have hit the forums recently with outdated BIOS.)

The Asrock only has 2 DIMM slots - there's 4 on the Gigabyte which offers a bit more flexibility with upgrading and possible DIMM slots dying in the future.

UK RMA with Gigabyte and the F5 BIOS will usually hit 3000MHz with this memory.

*BUT - as mentioned some boards have been shipped with older BIOS and have needed to be sent back and flashed to get the 1600s working - as the boards have had pre F3 BIOSs. So if you do change boards i would contact OcUK about the motherboard and BIOS version for you CPU choice. They may check for you, if you ask via the CS forums, given the returns they've had recently...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

EDIT : In fact the 2400MHz memory is more than the 3000MHz? So it's a win win for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would consider that FSP built cheap capacitor PSU as fully used if its as old as other parts.
Its secondary capacitors don't even have much anything which could be called as cooling under that wire spaghetti.
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/ocz_780w_modxstream_psu/3

If it had quality capacitors then I wouldn't be yet worried, but right now I would be worried about putting that nice AM4 platform into torture bench of who knows what level ripple.
In stone age case with PSU on top sucking in heat it would have likely failed already.

Associate
Echoing other posters, ditch the PSU and buy a better one, use the money from the liquid cooler if you have to.

Use 3000MHz or 3200MHz RAM as Ryzen benefits greatly from faster RAM.

Consider the 1600 rather than the 1600X, it comes with a stock cooler that is perfectly capable of achieving modest overclocks. Or even use the liquid cooler budget to go for a 1700 with that RGB stock cooler

Soldato
650W class would be enough for about any single graphics card.
And for that small case you'll definitely want modular or semi modular PSU.

Right now BitFenix Whisper M, Corsair TX and XFX XTR are among cheapest with quality capacitors.

Soldato
Will the Radeon R9 290 PCS+ OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card fit in the 240 Air case with a liquid cooler in the front? I think the card's length is 292.1 millimetres and the case's max GPU length is 290mm (the front fans are already accounted for). Going by that you'd need a GPU <260mm long to fit a 30mm thick radiator.

Never owned either of them so am asking.

Back
Top Bottom