(Long) ride report - Iceland, land of fire and ice (and ponies)

Soldato
OP
I couldn't find a way to ship my own bike for less then £700 and a whole load of hassle. 3 days shipping from the UK, although I didn't look at airfreight. I reckon you'd need a good 2+ weeks there to make it worthwhile.

It could be worth it though. The less you rush Iceland the more it pays you back.

Yeah that's the cost I've seen. There's a guy on ukgser that listed out the logistics of his trip and said it was straight forward. Drop bike at Hull, get flight 3 days later, then pick up from Reykjavik docks. To hire a bike for the same 10 days would be 2300euros.

I guess it depends how close to Hull you are - for me it's about 90 mins and I already have a trailer so not too bad

Soldato
Cheers Sagalout, enjoyable read, brought back a lot of good memories from when I did Route 1.

Always seems to be less of the DC-3 remaining in Sólheimasandur every year. Sure I read somewhere this is down to local farmers taking scraps now and again.

Associate
7th Sep 2015, 07:35 >> 20th Sep 2016, 19:46

I thought these pictures seemed familiar only clicked it was an old thread after seeing the waterfalls lol.

Soldato
Sagalout, mind listing the places you had on your itinerary please? My brother and me went ealier this year in March, and I've been thinking about going again next summer, but renting a car and doing it at a more leisurely pace.

Last edited:
Associate
Quality write up, and for me, great timing - I'm heading out on the same route next month , albeit in a car. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Associate
Nice photos. It is such an awesome place, I went August last year. I'd like to go back one day for about 10 days and do the complete lap of motorway 1.

The glaciers were amazing. I didn't get to go on any snow (wasn't too well). But will next time!

Back
Top Bottom