Long wait for two new composite doors - 17 weeks so far

Associate
Placed an order for two new fairly basic composite doors back in May so been 17 weeks now waiting to be told that they are now in stock and plan a fitting date.

Anyone else experiencing the same delays? Is there still a supply issue for companies?

Associate
Even the most basic items like 4 x 2 or 4 x 3 timber for wallplate or slate lats are on massive lead times if importers/mills will even let us order them at all. As you get into manufactured items it only just gets worse. the you got the pricing on top its awful. I have had a few cash type jobs get a little irate that I have had to basically double the price I quoted them in early 2020 then tell them the lead times over doubled.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I have had a few cash type jobs get a little irate that I have had to basically double the price I quoted them in early 2020 then tell them the lead times over doubled.

Harsh, but I guess it's a risk with cash jobbies.
No paperwork or anything signed to say x work at x cost

We really need an extension but not really isnt the time lol

Associate
We cant offer any lifetime on our prices currently, any quote I issue now expires at end of sept. some buyers at companies I deal with are been given quotes valid for 24 hours for some products!

Soldato
Like Maccapacca I look after a similar value of property works across building/PFS/electrical/mechanical/HVAC etc and seeing lots of issues around leadtimes.

The biggest issues seem to be:
  • Transport/logistics
  • Suppliers having backlogs due to covid
  • Increased workload due to construction sites starting back up
  • Suppliers generally running so tight that they have no contingency when there's a failure
As an example Kingspan recently had an issue with one of their suppliers factories needing to close and it affected their worldwide supply.

Basic construction materials seem to be just about manageable with the odd issue, but anything requiring bespoke manufacture then delivery into the country seems to be getting signifcantly increased leadtimes. I'm seeing HVAC equipment taking as long as 20 weeks to get delivered.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered a vertical blind - rang up after a week - Oh it will be another three weeks.

I have a fortune in my garden - got 5 x 4.3m roofing lathes and they have quadrupled in price.

Associate
My composite decking is finally due for delivery on Tuesday. Ordered mid May. Prices on timber for framing it more than twice last year and the decking itself is up 20% since I ordered it.

I still need OSB and roofing materials which won’t be fun to get.

Soldato
Like Maccapacca I look after a similar value of property works across building/PFS/electrical/mechanical/HVAC etc and seeing lots of issues around leadtimes.

The biggest issues seem to be:
  • Transport/logistics
  • Suppliers having backlogs due to covid
  • Increased workload due to construction sites starting back up
  • Suppliers generally running so tight that they have no contingency when there's a failure
As an example Kingspan recently had an issue with one of their suppliers factories needing to close and it affected their worldwide supply.

Basic construction materials seem to be just about manageable with the odd issue, but anything requiring bespoke manufacture then delivery into the country seems to be getting signifcantly increased leadtimes. I'm seeing HVAC equipment taking as long as 20 weeks to get delivered.
There's a lot of issues with the transport side of things. Guess another "bonus" of brexit:rolleyes:. Too few hgvs drivers, wonder if the microchip shortage is part of it too.

Back
Top Bottom