Looking for 5.1 surround sound system.

Soldato
I thought in order to compliment my new tv arriving soon I should pair it up with a nice surround sound system. I know extremely little about the audio side of technology.

As far as I know I need a receiver/amp with something built in?

A subwoofer for the middle/near the TV and 4 speakers in 4 corners of my room. Though two cables will have to be about 8-10m due to length worries.

The new TV is a Sony XH95 pretty sure it has the connections I need to look out for.

In the price range of around £300 what would that get me? I do not want to go mad with spending as this TV was over £1000 last month.

I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X ready to be hooked up.

Man of Honour
A 5.1 system means there are five satellite speakers and a sub. The '5'-bit is a centre speaker then front L&R and surround L&R speakers. The '.1'-bit refers to the subwoofer. The centre speaker is the most important of the 5 satellite speakers. This is where all the dialogue comes from.

Speakers positioned in the corners of the room sound terrible. I know it might look neat, but trust me, you want the front L&R speakers at least 1ft (30cm) away from the corner edges of the room. They need to be about ear height when you're sat down. The surround speakers shouldn't go in the corners either; and although some call them 'rear speakers' they aren't really that either. They're side surround speakers and so should go on the side walls about inline with where you're sitting. They can go higher than the fronts. Put them at ear height when your standing.

A £300 budget won't get you a separate AV receiver + speaker package. But £350 will.

At £300 or less you'll be looking at either a soundbar (with or without sub), or a Home Theatre in a Box (HTiB) system where the main unit has a Blu-ray player built in and there's about a gazillion features. They're a poor choice. The Sony BDVE2100 (£220) is a good example of this.

This system offers Bluetooth and 3D and Smart features and NFC and what appears to be masses of power (800W) and Wi-Fi and Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio and ... and... and.... But the problems are:
1) there's no way to connect the HDMI-out of your consoles to it directly so all this processing is limited to the internal disc player
2) the internal BD player is often the first thing to die, and when it does the cost of repairing it is way out of proportion to the price of the unit, so its effectively dead
3) nothing in the system is upgradeable. You're stuck with these speakers and/or the sub and/or the head unit
4) the power output is a work of complete fiction. The unit draws a maximum of about 100 W from the mains, and yet is supposed to output 800W to the speakers. Where have they magiced-up the extra 700W from?
5) they sound rubbish. I'll qualify that by saying it's the sort of sound that seems impressive for the first 15-20 minutes, but soon starts to grate on your ears. After a while you'll come to realise that there isn't proper bass. It's just an undefined thud thud thud rather than playing bass notes. Also, the main speakers sound brittle and harsh and lack the ability to convey any sort of midrange detail

It'll be a similar story with any similar <£300 HTiB system, and there aren't many to choose from. The Sony BDVE4100 and the LG LHB645N both offer tall floorstanding front speakers for your £300-£320, but that's pandering to people who look at their audio gear rather than listen to it.

Where I would recommend you look at the Yamaha YHT1840 system (£350).

Here you have a strong home theater brand making a decent AV receiver and packaging it with a good entry-level speaker system. You get very few bells and whistles.

There's no smart features, nor a BD player, and no NFC or Bluetooth or wireless. What you do get is better sound quality and four HDMI inputs with full HDR wide colour gamut 4K pass-through plus HDMI ARC so you can get sound from the TV and its apps in to your surround kit. The amp and the speakers are upgradeable with after-market hardware. They've made a minor compromise with the sub; it's driven from speaker outputs on the amp rather than having its own power amp built in. However, the amp does have an RCA phono socket for connecting a better sub.

edit: typos

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Someone was up early. :D

That has to be one of the most helpful and concise posts I’ve ever seen on this forum. So much so that I felt obligated to comment on it.

Hope the OP takes your advice.

Soldato
I think at £350 the Yamaha YHT1840 recommended by @lucid is a decent shout.

That said if you have a look around at the second hand market you might be able to get more for your money.

Another option could be to get a decent receiver and add to it over time.

Man of Honour
S/H or building up over time are both good options It has to be said though that they suit some people more than others. New is some folk's preferred choice.

Sadly though, there's no longer the choice in new budget AV Receiver + speaker packages there once was. Prior to 4K UHD and ATMOS launching there were options from Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha. Now it seems to be just Yamaha.

The budget AV receiver market has taken a bit of a hammering thanks to the rise in popularity of sound bars. That's understandable; the general market just wants better sound than the crappy speakers in wafer-thin TVs, and if a sound bar does that in a fairly neat package then that's okay for them.

It's the same for the HTiB market too.

Five years ago you'd have have choices from all the main TV manufacturers. In today's world I was struggling to find half a dozen model options in total under £350.

Soldato
Personally I'd opt to build up over time.

I'd buy a decent receiver in the £200 range and put down £100 or so (probably second hand) for a centre speaker, add a sub down the line then follow up with the 4.0 aspect with something suitable.

You wont get what you want immediately but you'll get something better in the end, and honestly speakers tend to age well if they're looked after so I'd have no issues picking them up second hand.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for getting back to me, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the detailed write uip @lucid

I'll look into the Yaham 1840.

@Gray2233 Yeah I'll weigh up the pros and cons of bulding over time. I'm just that sort of guy who wants things asap.

Soldato
Someone else about to fall down the rabbit hole, write a letter to your future wallet...

I entered the hobby with an ex demo all in one onkyo set from Richer Sounds. I now have speaker feet costing more!

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@3t3P Yeah I am falling easily down this rabbit hole. I took delivery of the Yamaha YHT 1840 the other day, what a machine. Sounds absolutely incredible. Although the rear speakers are a bit quiet even though I have raised the Db a bit.

Also when turning on/off it's clicking and clanking like I'm flipping an industrial sized switch. Is this normal?

Soldato
@3t3P Yeah I am falling easily down this rabbit hole. I took delivery of the Yamaha YHT 1840 the other day, what a machine. Sounds absolutely incredible. Although the rear speakers are a bit quiet even though I have raised the Db a bit.

Also when turning on/off it's clicking and clanking like I'm flipping an industrial sized switch. Is this normal?

The noise is normal. My AV receivers different brand make it when turning off / on. I gather when looking around about the same thing, it was down to the relays which are used to open and close the circuit.

Soldato
I started with an old Onkyo receiver (yamaha sub and wall mounted speakers) about 10 years ago, recently had the extension/living area rebuilt and decided to renew much of it.
I opted for another mid range (NR) Onkyo, TX-NR686 which has plenty of inputs and outputs to keep most people happy and 100W per channel. I kept the Yamaha sub and bought 4 Polk Audio Rc60i ceiling speakers. I have to say I love the new setup, not stupidly expensive neither. Not including the sub I already had, I spent around £550 (plus a few quid on wire and banana plugs etc) and think I'd need to spend an awful lot more to see much of a noticeable improvement.

Man of Honour
I took delivery of the Yamaha YHT 1840 the other day, what a machine. Sounds absolutely incredible. Although the rear speakers are a bit quiet even though I have raised the Db a bit.

Glad that Yamaha is working out well for you.

The amount of action in the surround speakers is governed by the source signal for the most part. It can also be influenced by the processing mode.

With source signals, anything DD DTS Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio has discrete channels for surround, so the audio engineers can pump lots of activity in there for action movies, but also ambient sound to enhance a sense of space with some movies. Your amp will detect these type of sound tracks and decode appropriately without you having to make any selections.

For TV viewing, there isn't as much in the source soundtracks, and depending on the channel, you might be using Dolby ProLogic II to either decode the non-discrete surround that's there, or to have the processor 'invent' some ambient surround from what is a basic stereo soundtrack. This is when you'll find that there's not much sound from the rears, or the sound kind of pops up and then disappears.

If you have a BD player pick up one of the big action films and give the rears a proper workout with a DTS-MA audio track.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X as blu ray players. Unless I'm missing something that a dedicated player provides?

No, not at all. Just make sure that the players are directly connected to the Yamaha receiver, and that the setups are done to allow the bitstream signal required for DD/DTS/TrueHD/Master Audio is done, and then play a movie with a lot going on in the rear channels.

Soldato
OP
Think it's setup right although the rear 2 speakers are a little quiet, but I have been adjusting the Db a little each time. Some movies even made me jump :D

Soldato
There are worse hobbies but you can end up spending...

Current total system is at ££££'s and can say I am happy with it. People that come and have a watch are universally gobsmacked.

I wouldn't say no to a 4k projector though:p

Back
Top Bottom