Looking for a ADSL modem with the BEST QoS.

Associate
Basically I'm in a house share with 5 people.

We have 6mb internet...

I live in London...

Suffice to say it's obvious why I need QoS.

I was just wondering if anyone has had good experiences with any particular modems or makers when it comes to QoS, I play online games and want the lowest him, I don't give a crap if the other house mates want to stream non stop on the remaining 5.5mb but I want my half a meg to be uninterrupted for smooth gameplay.

I'd like to spend under £100 if possible, but would be flexible about going higher on the off chance I ever move and get better internet. But in this case it would also have to be fibre enabled.

I'm basically trying to find a modem with the best QoS, currently I disconnect a low on Overwatch fail to connect to servers over and over, multiple other games kick me off.

It's very annoying.

Associate
Not needed to try it myself but I hear DD-WRT flashing is a good way to get decent QoS settings. Works with lots of routers:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

OpenWRT is another one. I'm sure some of the high end routers have decent settings built in, think the Netgear D7000 is good. I know on the D7000 you can do QoS by device so you could "reserve" yourself a bit of bandwidth rather than per app/service.

Last edited:
Soldato
What ISP are you with?

I'm with Plusnet and they have traffic management that really works for this. Games / VOIP first priority, Streaming Videos second, web-pages third, P2P last priority.

I have a draytek 2860 with amazing QOS, however without tremendous setting up it won't match what plusnet are doing as default.

Have a read below.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusn...-Why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/ba-p/1320553

One thing I will say is Plusnet (or any ISP) can't do QOS on the upload. So if you have someone on the connection who is doing constant uploads then you definitely need QOS on your router.

Last edited:
Associate
BT 2wire 2700HGV seems to be touted as a brilliant ADSL modem especially on those with longer lines. These are generally very cheap and best paired with a router - perhaps a TP-link?

Back
Top Bottom