looking for a budget but not rotten 29r 9mm qr wheelset

Soldato
No one seems to have replied, so I'll offer my advice, such that it is.

Sounds like you just want a new complete rear wheel? So no need to buy a wheelset.

I'd just get a generic one from Halfords, my old bike, my £300 carrera did about 4k miles before I upgraded to a better bike, wheels and hubs were fine, still got them in my garage as spares.

So I'd just get something cheap and generic, and for peace of mind, if you need to, take it to your local independent bike shop to check the spoke tensions etc.

Soldato
The hub on your existing wheel might just be a lemon, if it's been 'repaired' multiple times.
Hubs don't tend to go wrong unless you run them for thousands of miles without maintenance.
What bike is it, and what wheels does it have?

Soldato
Also, are you sure it's an issue with the hub? A worn chain and cassette will be noisy and won't change gear without clattering and sticking...

How many miles have you done assuming it was brand new when you got the bike?

Permabanned
OP
ride it everyday to work and back.....at first I was getting a jerk in the pedals and the bike shop noticed the rear wheel wobbling so said it was a loose hub.
they fixed the hub and ever since my chain has been noisy….past month or so the jerk in the pedals is back.
Bought April 2018

Soldato
If the rear wheel is XT, I'm guessing it's a cup and cone rather than a cartridge bearing.

Might be worth getting a DT Swiss or hope hub of you're doing a lot of miles.

Your issue might be a combination of
A) poorly set up cup and cone tension on the hub
B) Worn chain
C) Worn cassette

But its really difficult to say.

Soldato
Do you keep the chain clean and re lube it regularly?

A picture of your derailleur /cassette might help so we can see what condition it's in.

Permabanned
OP
yeah everything is maintained...it was fine till the jerky pedals then they " fixed it " causing the noisy chain...

watch this..it's what's made me think hub as the chain was silent before they fixed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76QKJN_Lf8

I don't have a mobile phone anymore...hardly used it and was just a distraction for social media stuff...i'm happier without the phone tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jerky pedals under pressure would suggest a slip due to chain/cassette wear or freehub body failing.

Do you know what they did to fix it?

If they fitted a new chain and cassette then you could be getting chain suck from the chain being hooked up by a chain ring at the front. That can give a terrible noise but won't always be bad enough for the chain to slide off the chain ring.

Soldato
Sounds like it's now tight and the pitting on the cones is causing a roughness/rumble.

Shimano MT500 is cup and cone as you have, Raleigh pro builds use Shimano hubs mostly too which are cup and cone bearing.

Something like this would do the job

https://www.thedogswheels.co.uk/pro...eel-mach-1-black-rim-qr?variant=4962477244447

Bog standard rim with a sealed cartridge hub so it goes back to feeling as good as new when you put new bearings in.

To go Hope hub + Mavic rim or something would be a £200+ wheel and overbuild for commuting.

Permabanned
OP
Are Mavic FTS wheels not better? from tredz...that's the best I've found so far but still looking for a one up on them.

msged crc so many times asking for advice and they always say no tech is available try again at another time

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Mavic are cartridge bearings too, parts available to fix what breaks too so not a bad shout.

I did do front bearings on one of those hubs and the bearings both went in from the one side with the deepest one having a circlip behind it. Pain in the rear that was.

Associate
Looking on the web, looks like you will have formula hubs on your wheels and they are crap. No point repairing them as they are made of cheese.

Never had issues with Fulcrum wheels so worth looking into them, even the budget sets are good.

Permabanned
OP
I'll buy those ones then when I have time to be in for the delivery, I was going to buy new rotors anyway.
Thanks

I just went for a pair of Shimano MT500's in the end. Wheels just fitted and tested.....noise problems all gone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom