Looking for a car I can feel when driving.

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
Change gear too early in a diesel and it'll be off boost and won't move lol

Oh right, I’ve only ever driven petrol engines so itll be fun getting to grips with diesels so I’m guessing it’s wiser to push it to higher revs before changing unlike in petrols, I usually switch around 2500revs atm

Caporegime
Oh right, I’ve only ever driven petrol engines so itll be fun getting to grips with diesels so I’m guessing it’s wiser to push it to higher revs before changing unlike in petrols, I usually switch around 2500revs atm
No quite the opposite in fact.

A car turbo diesel engine will have something of a flat spot at low ish revs but once it’s above say 1200-1500 rpm the turbo will be providing boost, you will have peak torque at around 2k -2.5krpm and above that speed it’ll then start to drop off fairly quickly so you change up before this point, you effectively ride the torque curve as such.

Basically you research your engines peak torque rpm and change up around that point.

To illustrate this this is the dashboard of my Scania.
yvc6cSt.jpg
It ticks over @500 rpm is a little flat upto 1100rpm then really really pulls well from 1100-1500rpm as this is the rev range the engine will deliver its peak torque - and efficiency - hence the green band on the Rev counter, to attain good mpg and optimal pulling performance you “keep it in the green” as much as you can.

Yes it’ll rev round to 2500 rpm but by this point your way past peak torque and just wasting fuel.

If your holding a gear you’d rev it to 2-2200rpm (the blue band) but past this point the power and torque drops away markedly.

Yes it’s a 13.6 litre engine (hence the engine speed being low compared to a smaller engine) but the principle is exactly the same for a car or van.

Last edited:

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
Just been having another look and I also like the look of the Volvo C30 R Sport 2 litre diesel.

Comparing to the Honda they are very similar, the Honda just does a few extra miles per gallon.

Anyone had any experience with Volvo, what are they like to drive? Good torque?

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
No quite the opposite in fact.

It’ll have something of a flat spot at low revs but once it’s above say 1500ish rpm the turbo will be providing boost, you will have peak torque around 2k -2.5krpm and then it’ll start to drop off fairly quickly so you change up at this point.

Basically you research your engines peak torque rpm and change up around that point.

To illustrate this this is the dashboard of my Scania.
yvc6cSt.jpg
It ticks over @500 rpm is a little flat upto 1100rpm then really really pulls well from 1100-1500rpm as this is the rev range the engine will deliver its peak torque - and efficiency - hence the green band on the Rev counter, to attain good mpg and optimal pulling performance you “keep it in the green” as much as you can.

Yes it’ll rev round to 2500 rpm but by this point your way past peak torque and just wasting fuel.

If your holding a gear you’d rev it to 2-2200rpm (the blue band) but past this point the power and torque drops away markedly.

Yes it’s a 13.6 litre engine (hence the engine speed being low compared to a smaller engine) but the principle is exactly the same for a car or van.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, I’ll definately be researching the ranges of whatever car I choose, I like how it’s got the green band to show you where the ideal position is

Associate
With your budget, Volvo T4, nothing else will come close in that price bracket.

200bhp, 2.0 high pressure turbo and you get a proper shove from them when you put your foot down.

Bog standard they're faster to 60 than a Focus ST (I've got a T5 now and it's slower).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V4...h=item363f6c223d:g:NDcAAOSwtmZb3hwu:rk:5:pf:0

- Heated seats
- Auto climate control
- Will hit 40mpg on cruise control if you're careful
- Xenons
- Reliable

What more could you want for just over a grand :D

PS - Not my T4 in the ad, I had one for 3 years and loved it though

Soldato
I drive a 2006 MK5 VW Golf GTi DSG, it's a 2.0 TFSI petrol engine with 200bhp as standard. Similar cars with the same engine have been recommended in this thread and if you want pinned in your seat don't bother, at least not as standard.

Mine's got an oversized RamAir induction kit, cat back Miltek, lowered on Eibach springs and supposedly has an engine and DSG remap but feels the same as my last one that wasn't.

It does not pin me in my seat under full acceleration, in fact, it's ridiculously smooth power wise. It can easily hit 120mph and you really do not feel it. I know an RTech remap on standard will go from 200bhp to 240bhp and 207lbft to 280lbft, http://r-techperformance.co.uk/vw-golf-mk5-gti-tfsi-200-remap/

Still not enough to pin you in your seat.

The only general road car I've really experienced it in outside of kit cars or really expensive motors is the Nissan 350z. I took it for a test drive, floored it, the dealer plate shot out of the window and hit my missus in the face, and she was pinned in her seat so couldn't even reach forwards and put it back :D

You'd probably be better looking for an older 330D but i don't know enough about them. I know as standard they are an even match for my Gti but with more torque. My brothers Jag xf has some decent performance figures too for the price.

Associate
I drive a 2006 MK5 VW Golf GTi DSG, it's a 2.0 TFSI petrol engine with 200bhp as standard. Similar cars with the same engine have been recommended in this thread and if you want pinned in your seat don't bother, at least not as standard.

What type of turbo does the Golf have?

Only ask as that's where what defines most of the 'pinning'. My old T4 had a high pressure, quite a bit of lag, very little go under 3k revs but pinned you right back and was a bit mental after that, felt very quick.

My T5 however, has more power and on paper is faster but it's got a low pressure turbo, it's silky smooth, very refined but has a very linear torque curve, the needle certainly moves quick enough, it just doesn't FEEL fast, if that makes sense? My friend who also has a T5 is running around 350hp out of his and says it still doesn't feel fast due to the power curve.

Associate
Is it a fun drive? Read around some people say it’s a bit dull

Appreciate the replies all :)

Well, if the diesel is anything like the petrol, you will feel it while driving.

Feel it under-steer its way nicely through corners. You will also feel the pot holes, small dents in the road, peas.

Soldato
What type of turbo does the Golf have?

Only ask as that's where what defines most of the 'pinning'. My old T4 had a high pressure, quite a bit of lag, very little go under 3k revs but pinned you right back and was a bit mental after that, felt very quick.

My T5 however, has more power and on paper is faster but it's got a low pressure turbo, it's silky smooth, very refined but has a very linear torque curve, the needle certainly moves quick enough, it just doesn't FEEL fast, if that makes sense? My friend who also has a T5 is running around 350hp out of his and says it still doesn't feel fast due to the power curve.

As standard the Gti has the K03 turbo, with the Pirelli and Edition30 running a K04 turbo. 200bhp vs 240bhp as standard. My gti is the same, i've taken people out and you can hit 120+ and they've no idea, they know we're going fast but didn't feel us getting there. I actually think it's more dangerous than being pinned in your seat, more chance of losing your licence :D

Most gti upgrades either jump to a k04 as it will hit 400bhp with the right mods and mapping, however, k03 hybrids and k04 hibrids are becoming a lot more common. I've looked a hybrid k04 but it's 2.5k. My cars worth £5k, plus supporting mods is another 3k. I'm in S4 territory there...

Associate
You want a diesel with a hybrid turbo, don't ever ever by a civic if you want that unless your going to turbo it for 5k. I used to work for Darkside and a highly tuned diesel gives you this feeling more than any petrol, this is because of the torque and boost.

a petrol may be faster and smoother but you won't feel that whiplash like you do with a PD140 with a 2260 and 120% nozzles mapped.

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
I think for me being used to a small engine petrol car the Honda will at least feel like it’s got more go, I’m not after like a extreme pinning you back so you can’t move feeling, just that when you put the accelerator to the floor you can feel it jolt you backwards

Soldato
If you want the feeling of acceleration, don't buy a diesel. Unless you like to have a tiny power band. They run out of puff very quickly and not very performance focused :/

A high revving petrol car with a tune that gives you a nice power curve all through the rev range is much better if you want to feel it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom