Looking for a gaming laptop, budget approx £2500

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a gaming laptop, and I have a budget of approx £2500, and I'm trying to get certain features if possible?

* 120Hz IPS screen (or at least a lot better than 60Hz?)
* NVMe SSD (assume that's the fastest type? I'll be looking to get a Samsung 960 Pro)
* 350+ nit brightness (if possible?)
* Really nice keyboard (mechanical if possible?)
* Excellent, solid build quality, not cheap and nasty like some reports of Asus laptops I've read?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Associate
Does anyone have any experience with the MSI 'IPS Level' display? That reads like a TN screen in disguise? Any good?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-intel-i7-6820hq-gaming-laptop-lt-24r-ms.html

That model is not 120Hz.

The Asus with PLS is the closest you can get to IPS @ 120Hz at present.

Even MSI's top spec GT75VR has a TN 120Hz display:

MSI GT75VR TITAN
17.3" 1920x1080 TN @120Hz 3ms, 94% NTSC
7th Gen Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7820HK (unlocked)
nVidia GTX 1070 Desktop GPU 8GB GDDR5
64GB DDR4 2400MHz PC19200
512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Super RAID 4 (256GB X2)
1TB 7200rpm 2.5" SATA III
Optical Drive: None
Killer Wireless-AC N1535 + Bluetooth 4.1
Thunderbolt 3 enabled
16.85" x 12.36" x 2.28"
9.92 lbs (8 cell)
Windows 10 Professional 64bit

To add to this, I use a 120Hz panel on my AORUS X5V6 and it's a stunning screen (I came from a 60Hz display oc'd to 100Hz).

Associate
You could also try checking out the latest (coffee lake based) Clevo laptops.
Listed as having a 120Hz IPS panel, I can't say where as it is a competitor site, but searching for Clevo laptops should get you there ok.

There are no 120Hz IPS laptop panels at present.

PLS and AVHA are the closest on the market.

The 120Hz TN panels are best for gaming performance.

@Space Monkey, where are you willing to make compromises?

Associate
Definitely listed as IPS on one site, I guess it is a lazy copy/paste from other models, someone could be in trouble if they get called on it.

It's been a common issue across loads of laptop products. (even my AORUS was originally listed as so - .co.uk/aorus-x5-v6-cf2-nvidia-gtx-1070-8gb-gddr5-15.6-ips-120hz-led-intel-core-i7-6820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-02e-au.html).

Man of Honour
OP
I've seen that Clevo based laptop and it definitely says 120Hz IPS, think I'll fire them an email to double check?

I'm not too sure how good the Clevo laptops are, build quality etc...?

@MiSJAH I'm interested in the 120Hz side of things but I'm not sure I could go back to a TN screen, but I'm basically looking for the best match to my list in the OP, I realise I'm not likely to get everything I want just the best I can?

So what's the screen on yours if it's not an IPS?

Associate
I've seen that Clevo based laptop and it definitely says 120Hz IPS, think I'll fire them an email to double check?

I'm not too sure how good the Clevo laptops are, build quality etc...?

@MiSJAH I'm interested in the 120Hz side of things but I'm not sure I could go back to a TN screen, but I'm basically looking for the best match to my list in the OP, I realise I'm not likely to get everything I want just the best I can?

So what's the screen on yours if it's not an IPS?

Mine's a TN.

I highly recommend getting hands on with the newer TN panels. Are you close to any of the gaming VARs? Find somewhere with a 120Hz display and see for yourself.

If I were looking for a replacement today with your budget I'd likely just get the latest version of my existing machine. The 1070 is only a fraction off the 1080 and at 1080p it hardly matters. The keyboard is awesome. And AORUS UK support is absolutely top notch.

(or I'd wait for Volta ;) ).

Associate
Well, well, well.

HP are claiming the Omen X has a 120Hz IPS display -
  • 43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD 120 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) with NVIDIA G-SYNC™
That's direct from HP's site.

Well, well, well.

HP are claiming the Omen X has a 120Hz IPS display -
  • 43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD 120 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) with NVIDIA G-SYNC™
That's direct from HP's site.

The 1070 version comes in budget.......but it's an HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
OP
  • Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad Core Processor
  • 17.3" Full HD IPS Screen
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • 2000GB HDD
  • Dedicated GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics
  • Nvidia G-Sync & VR Ready
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | Display Port
What's your thoughts on this spec, £1500 new?

Associate
  • Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad Core Processor
  • 17.3" Full HD IPS Screen
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • 2000GB HDD
  • Dedicated GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics
  • Nvidia G-Sync & VR Ready
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | Display Port
What's your thoughts on this spec, £1500 new?

Looks like a bargain, as long as it's a reputable brand not a Acer/Medion/Alienware :p

Edit: Just found it, it's a great deal for a Medion (Clevo rebadged).

Man of Honour
OP
Looks like a bargain, as long as it's a reputable brand not a Acer/Medion/Alienware :p

Edit: Just found it, it's a great deal for a Medion (Clevo rebadged).

Lol, yeah it's a Medion, which as you say is supposed to be a Clevo based system, is that still a good laptop?

And what's wrong with Alienware or was that tongue in cheek? :D

Associate
alienware wicked computer i had mine but had issue with screen bleed 3 screens later and a replacement laptop had to send back for a refund, so back to my 7 year old alienware

Man of Honour
Well it's the best screen I've ever had in a laptop before. It's clear, bright and vibrant, but not overboard if you follow. I run the MSI Tru Colour app in the background and am currently running in sRGB. I like the way I can configure it to run differently depending what I'm doing.

I have to be honest, I've had 3 of these laptops before I settled with this one. I had no end of issues to begin with, but put it down to being an early adopter of the tech. Mostly down to a high end graphics card and overheating, but once that was sorted I've not had a single issue since.

Man of Honour
OP
Well it's the best screen I've ever had in a laptop before. It's clear, bright and vibrant, but not overboard if you follow. I run the MSI Tru Colour app in the background and am currently running in sRGB. I like the way I can configure it to run differently depending what I'm doing.

I have to be honest, I've had 3 of these laptops before I settled with this one. I had no end of issues to begin with, but put it down to being an early adopter of the tech. Mostly down to a high end graphics card and overheating, but once that was sorted I've not had a single issue since.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

How was your problem solved, just a fluke with a healthy laptop or did MSI do something to it?

Man of Honour
I eventually sent it back to MSI. They asked to see it, after I had two with the same problem. The MSI Dragon control centre software was controlling the fans in the laptop - but whenever I ran it overclocked the machine would hang after a few minutes use. It was put down to the graphics card overheating and I believe they replaced the 1070. If I recall there was a dodgy batch of cards - something to do with the memory chips. Apart from the hassle of the diagnosis my end, MSI were fantastic in dealing with it - and they repaired the unit within a couple of days. I've not had a single issue with it since. It's extremely quiet, even when running Sports mode (slight overclock) and will happily run everything I throw at it.

Man of Honour
OP
I eventually sent it back to MSI. They asked to see it, after I had two with the same problem. The MSI Dragon control centre software was controlling the fans in the laptop - but whenever I ran it overclocked the machine would hang after a few minutes use. It was put down to the graphics card overheating and I believe they replaced the 1070. If I recall there was a dodgy batch of cards - something to do with the memory chips. Apart from the hassle of the diagnosis my end, MSI were fantastic in dealing with it - and they repaired the unit within a couple of days. I've not had a single issue with it since. It's extremely quiet, even when running Sports mode (slight overclock) and will happily run everything I throw at it.

Thanks mate :)

Back
Top Bottom