Looking for a secondhand Macbook to play Minecraft on - but which?

Associate
I've been used to an HP Pavillion ab254sa which has an i5 6200U processor, 8gb RAM, either 1tb or 2tb hard drive (can't remember), and intel hd graphics 520. So obviously not top of the range, but capable of running Minecraft between ~30-60FPS depending on resource packs etc. I can even get it to run low-end shaders at ~20FPS with a few settings adjustments. However my screen has cracked and I've lost about a sixth of the screen due to coloured lines.

I'm on a limited budget (£400 absolute maximum and that's a push - I'd prefer £300 and below) so I'm looking for a secondhand laptop. I'm wary of buying anything other than a Macbook secondhand as I know laptops tend to have limited lifespans and from what I know Macbooks tend to last a long time.

Trouble is, I don't know which specs are most important when it comes to Minecraft. I'm not a serious gamer, mostly just Minecraft. What's most important - processor, RAM, or graphics card? Would I be better off buying something with a decent processor and RAM but no dedicated graphics card like this:

[deleted]

Or something with a less impressive processor (how well can Minecraft run on an Intel Core Duo?) and possibly less RAM, but a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card like this:

[deleted]

Or something somewhere in between? What is most important, processor, RAM, or graphics card? Also, how much does the year the laptop was made matter? I know obviously it's better to get a more recent model, but how much difference is there between a 2009 model and a 2011 model? Is a 2009 model likely to not last me very long? Is there a particular year you could recommend, keeping my budget in mind?

Or would I be better off looking for a secondhand laptop that isn't a Macbook - or a new laptop within my budget?

Any suggestions and advice are hugely appreciated. The laptop also needs to be something I can comfortably use for daily internetting and the odd other thing, but Minecraft is probably most important and the most strenuous thing I'll be doing.

Please and thank you!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Haha! Figured since I was going to the effort of typing this post out, I might as well go the whole hog and add a ridiculous amount of tags :D As a long-standing member, do you have any advice on my predicament?

Also noticed the little white MacBooks (for want of more technical terms) go really cheap on ebay - would either of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac...844855?hash=item4d5aae2877:g:sOgAAOSwhvFZCMBq

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac...750963?hash=item4d5a512c33:g:M1UAAOSwIWVY94mz

run Minecraft anywhere close to well? What is the GeForce 320 like compared to the intel HD 3000/4000 graphics of the MacBook pros I've seen?

Please and thanks (again)!​

Associate
OP
If it were me i would be deleting the ebay links and reading the rules first.

And if it were me responding, I would bear in mind that some people are new to the forum, in a rush, trying to fit forum visiting into a limited amount of time, and just wishing to post a quick post without receiving sarcastic responses because I clearly overlooked the rules for this specific forum. :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses, stretched my budget to £500 and ended up going with a 2011 macbook pro - clearly aware that I'm not allowed to link it now :) but specs are:

Intel Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor

-4GB RAM 8 optional extra
 (left it as 4GB as didn't want to increase the price or make it take longer to be delivered)

-500GB Hard Drive

-Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

-Radeon Graphics Chip with 512 MB Video Ram for High Performance Applications - MAC Auto Switches 
 (AMD radeon hd 6750m)

-Super Drive, WiFi, Bluetooth, Card Reader, USB ports, audio port, Ethernet port, Mini Display port, built-in Webcam & Mic

Software Installed:

- macOS Sierra

- Microsoft Office 2016

Macbook Condition:

- Macbook Pro - serviced by a MAC Center & has had a NEW Series Graphic IC fitted. It has signs of use & scratches. Please see pictures for physical condition.

- Restored to factory settings, upgraded to macOS Sierra.

- Battery holds good charge.

- Back light illuminated keyboard.

- Supplied with charger.

- 30 Days Seller`s Warranty.

What do you think? Compared to the specs I've been used to, I'm pleased with the i7 processor, and amd radeon graphics card. Not bothered by the smaller HD as I've never come close to filling the 1/2TB I currently have. Compromising a little on the RAM but from what I've looked up, it's relatively cheap and easy to get upgraded if it does bother me. Resolution is a bit better than my current as well. Photos are clear and condition looks close to perfect, no obvious marks.

Bearing in mind my previous specs, do you think I'll notice an improvement in minecraft performance - and overall performance?

Arriving on Tuesday!

Last edited:
Commissario
That link didn't work but I fixed it for you.

Looks a decent enough machine, it'll certainly run what you want. I'd be tempted to double the RAM, slap a small SSD in there to replace the mechanical drive and install El Capitan.

Associate
OP
Thanks for fixing it, appreciate it! Awesome, good to know! Was a little wary of buying a six year old laptop but from what I've gathered online macbooks tend to have a much better life expectancy than most windows laptops (at least much better than the ones I've owned). So bearing in mind that I'd be very hesitant to buy an older windows laptop, plus I'm getting a bit tired of windows lately, I'm hoping I made a good decision specs-wise and lifespan-wise within my budget!

Upgrading the ram will be something to consider as I've been using 8gb until now. May sound stupid but I don't want to lose the cd/dvd drive - from what I've gathered I'd have to if I wanted to add in an SSD? Unless I could swap it out altogether for an SSD - can I ask what the benefits are of an SSD? More an idea that'll be on the back burner for the time being because of finances but interested to know for long term! And last question - what is better about El capital? I haven't used osx since back in the days of lion or snow leopard or one of the animals (excuse my vagueness, it was about 2008ish I think) so have no idea - what would you say isn't so good about sierra?

Glad to know it'll run what I want though - do you or anyone have a rough estimate of the kind of FPS I'll be able to get in minecraft with relatively high settings?

Please and thank you!

Commissario
Doh, I'm getting my versions mixed up, yes if it's on Sierra, leave it on Sierra.

Isn't the HDD dead easy to replace though, take the bottom off, remove the HDD and replace with an SSD?

Performance wise, replacing an HDD with an SSD is the single best upgrade you can perform on any computer. It will utterly transform the speed of everything.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback everyone, got my Macbook! Arrived a day late but totally worth the wait, so pleased with it and came in beautiful condition. Will keep the ideas of upgrading to an SSD and adding more RAM in mind for when I next have the money spare to justify it - was a bit naughty of me stretching my budget this far in the first place but couldn't resist and very pleased with my purchase :p What's the easiest way to transfer the stuff I have on my current HDD to a new SSD, for future reference? Transferring it all to an external hard drive and then back to the laptop with the new SSD - or is there an easier way? The only thing I'm a little worried about at this point is that it does run pretty hot towards the back middle of the base - is this where the HDD is located? Wondering if an SSD would run cooler? Anyway, for a short term fix I'm planning on getting a cooling pad with integrated fans soon so hoping that will help.

Quick question - I'm new to Sierra, from what I gather so far when a window is maximised it only has the option to be restored to a smaller size, or closed - the yellow minimise button is greyed out. To fully minimise the window, I have to press the green restore button, and then the minimise button appears. Is there a way around this, so I can minimise from fully-maximised view? Or is it that way for a reason - why? Pretty sure it wasn't like that on my old MacBook in 2008 or so.

Please and thanks!

Commissario
Regarding changing to another drive, it's sooo easy.

You connect the new device via a caddy, boot as normal then run SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner to clone the internal drive to the external drive. Shut down, fit the new drive and that's it.

Associate
OP
No, not JUST to play Minecraft. To play a lot of Minecraft, yes. But also to do other things that I enjoy. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Besides, even if I DID want to just play Minecraft on my laptop and not do a single other thing with it, what's the problem? I work hard, I work two jobs, neither of which require or even benefit from computer access. I bought my laptop with my own money, that I earned myself, and I like to be able to come home after an exhausting day of physical work and chill out in my little alternate universe for a while. Is there something innately wrong with that?

Associate
Do not buy 15" 17" 2011 no matter what. They have dedicated gpu issue. You buy and it wont last long. These dedicated gpu have expire date. Consider its been over 6years they will die soon.

Commissario
@metachi I hadn't heard of this problem and just did some research into it. It also affects 2011 iMacs and my serial number is one of those.

There was a GPU replacement program in place which lasted three years. Not all 2011 Macs were affected so to blanket suggest not to buy one is misleading.

I've been on the phone to Apple for the best part of an hour speaking to a senior advisor. They've assured me that any 2011 Mac, whether iMac or MacBook that exhibits a GPU failure will have the GPU replaced, or if the hardware isn't available, they'll receive a new machine.

Mine hasn't failed but it makes me feel a lot happier that if it does, it will be dealt with.

It's quite possible that the one being discussed above has already had the GPU replaced.

So I think it's quite unfair to suggest that nobody should buy a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook. If anything, it could be a decent investment!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I love Apple, but I am blown away at how amazing Apple's support is!

Back
Top Bottom