1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a "twin centre" city break. Amsterdam and then where?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scam, 4 Feb 2019.

1. Scam

Capodecina

The girlfriend and I are looking to go to Amsterdam for a few days, then perhaps get the train somewhere else. Sort-of like a double city break, in a week.

We did this last year in Porto, then took the train to Lisbon and flew back from there. It worked really well. So, from Amsterdam where could we go on the train (<3hrs preferably). Looking at Bruges, Ghent, Lille, Cologne perhaps. Anywhere that's do-able really. Preferably with easy flights back to the UK.

Any ideas? :)

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
  2. keylion

Gangster

Bruges, Ghent and Cologne are all great places. I'd probably go for Ghent as it's only just over two hours by train. I think Cologne is best saved for when you've got a little bit more time to travel down the Rhine valley as it's stunning scenery.

3. pinkpound

Wise Guy

4. Em3bbs

Soldato

Munich and Salzburg?

5. Diddums

Capodecina

What are your interests?

6. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Brussels would be easiest if you need to fly back from there.

7. Scam

Capodecina

They look very far, I don't imagine you can do that without spending the best part of a day travelling.

The usual. Culture, museums, architecture. Definitely good food.

Seen as we're looking mid-March I'm not entirely sure if I want to be in Brussels right before Brexit happens :( There's nothing really grabbing me about that city either, if I'm honest...

8. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

How about Vienna and Budapest?

9. EVH

Don

I think you mean <3 hrs, @Scam :o

10. Martynt74

Capodecina

Haha i picked up on that!

Bruges would be my pick. Love that place. Bear in mine it's a ~1hr train journey to Brussels for the flight home (unless you get the train)

11. Malevolence

Capodecina

Bruges, great little town to explore and some great food. Also, manky hookers and racist dwarfs.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
  12. Scam

Capodecina

Ah, a nice suggestion but we want to go to Amsterdam. I've been 4-5 times for work and I know my girlfriend would love it. Plus I've never done all the touristy bits.

Woops, yes I do. I blame lack of caffeine :o

We've wanted to go to Bruges for a while but it's been so long we're a bit "over" the idea, lol :confused:

We might well get the Eurostar to Amsterdam so perhaps Bruge/Ghent is easiest..

13. The_Abyss

Capodecina

We did Vienna and Bratislava a couple of years ago, for Christmas markets. Nice and close, about 90 minutes on the train IIRC.

14. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

Mexico City.

15. Martynt74

Capodecina

Whilst it's not an exact copy (things filmed in the wrong place) but watch the film In Bruges. Best case it reignites something, worst case you just watch a brilliant film!

16. Scam

Capodecina

Ha. Yes we saw that when it first came out hence wanting to go, originally :p Great film!

17. Martynt74

Capodecina

Just don't use it as a tour guide. We went to the place where you touch Jesus Christs blood and though it looked wrong and it was actually filmed in another church. We ended up walking to the other church just because it felt right. There's also a lovely windmill by it and a nice "local" pub.

Honestly though i'd go. It's small enough to let you see everything in only a day or two compared to other cities and it's just fantastic! Some of the rude chocolates/sweets are superb (especially if you're immature)

[​IMG]

18. dowie

Capo Crimine

^^^ this

19. keylion

Gangster

That certainly is a good idea, two excellent cities. We drove berween the two a couple of years ago, it takes about 2.5 hours. I don't think you'll get a fast train between the two though.

20. wez130

Capodecina

I'd go back to Bruges in a heart beat, and not just for the beer, the architecture is stunning! It's a stunning little city, and small enough to do in a short period of time.