Looking for an AWD high performance practical estate... Golf R?

Associate
Am I the only one noticing that the OP is located in Switzerland and thus looking at autotrader UK prices is a bit irrelevant? :D
If you don't like the 335d, there's always the 340i petrol flavoured version.
As an ex F30 owner, I'd still vote for the S4 though. Or Golf R.

Caporegime
OP
Wouldnt bother with the marque snobs, Golf R is a nice car, even if they are pretty common. :p
Yeah the Golf R Estate is a nice car by any stretch, it actually makes me chuckle with all the people saying "It's just a Golf". Golf is a premium brand with a great reputation among critics and drivers alike!

Am I the only one noticing that the OP is located in Switzerland and thus looking at autotrader UK prices is a bit irrelevant? :D
If you don't like the 335d, there's always the 340i petrol flavoured version.
As an ex F30 owner, I'd still vote for the S4 though. Or Golf R.

To be fair I forgot to state it in the OP, and have edited it now to add that pricing info. :)

Anyway I had some good suggestions in the thread and now basically need to make a shortlist and go for some drives. I am thinking to start with:
  • Golf R Estate
  • SEAT Cupra 300
  • BMW 320i/340i Xdrive (although I have seen that BMW reliability is rated as pretty bad)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm I don't think adaptive is standard as I have seen a few adverts without it, and apparently it also adds a "race mode" which is not standard. However, I have also not seen any criticisms of the "harsh ride" in any of the Youtube reviews I watched such as Mat Watson at Carwow etc.
I had assumed given the Seat had it as standard,, the VW did too. Good old VAG optioning strategy, gouge that option money :confused:

Associate
Anyway I had some good suggestions in the thread and now basically need to make a shortlist and go for some drives. I am thinking to start with:
  • Golf R Estate
  • SEAT Cupra 300
  • BMW 320i Xdrive (although I have seen that BMW reliability is rated as pretty bad)
A 320i is certainly not around 300bhp. And interior build quality is unfortunately less good than the Golf, and significantly less good than the S4. :(

Caporegime
OP
I was about to say, do cars cost more in switzerland than they do here in blighty?
Almost everything costs more... except thankfully laptops, TV's and photography gear. :p

I had assumed given the Seat had it as standard,, the VW did too. Good old VAG optioning strategy, gouge that option money :confused:

Yes its a bit weird!

A 320i is certainly not around 300bhp. And interior build quality is unfortunately less good than the Golf, and significantly less good than the S4. :(

Hmm, does the 340i have much better interior quality?

340i Touring is a good shout, similar performance to Golf R, if you can find an XDrive one, dont think they released it in the UK.

I'll take a look, though I would be surprised if a 2017 model is in the same price range as the Golf.

Caporegime
Why is dropping £30k on a Golf with a great performance engine and good interior/tech 'madness'? A 2017 BMW 530i tourer Xdrive is also significantly more money.

A golf is two classes below a BMW 5 series. The new 5 series is brand new architecture whereas the golf is what 6 years old now? Yes the 5 series is more expensive but you are getting a whole lot more for not a lot more cash.

Caporegime
OP
A golf is two classes below a BMW 5 series. The new 5 series is brand new architecture whereas the golf is what 6 years old now? Yes the 5 series is more expensive but you are getting a whole lot more for not a lot more cash.
I am not willing to increase my budget to that significant level higher for a weekend warrior car, regardless of "new architecture" or "two classes higher" etc etc.

Don
I am not willing to increase my budget to that significant level higher for a weekend warrior car, regardless of "new architecture" or "two classes higher" etc etc.

But you are willing to spend £30k due to your "fixed" requirements?

Ditch the 2017 requirement and save 10k:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808139439431
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808299936825
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808079238807

Caporegime
OP

Correct, well read, I am willing to spend £35k for my "fixed requirements. For the cars I am looking at where I live, 2016 is hardly even any discount... literally £3'000 https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...st=2&trans=21&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2016

Associate
Two classes below is a bit of an overstatement, interior quality wise a Golf 7 is better than an F30 (the... class below). I've had an F30 for a while, we have an Octavia Mk3 in the family and overall the Skoda is much better screwed together, even if some aspects are a bit more utilitarian.

Squeaks, rattles, tyre roar, wind noise - all are better in the Skoda. The Golf came out in 2013 with volumes actually selling in 2014, whilst the 5 Series came out in late 2016 with volumes sold in 2017. Hardly 6 years between the new platforms, more like 3. ;)

Don't get me wrong, the 5 is a much better built car than a Golf, this is absolutely normal - but it's not really comparable price wise either.

A 340i won't be better built than a 320i unfortunately. but I also think you should buy the cheapest Golf R you can find and save yourself from throwing money for no benefit whatsover. There's no difference between a 2014 Golf R and 2017 one, but there is quite a bit of difference between a 2017 Golf R and a 2017 540i. Or a S4 Avant.

Don
Correct, well read, I am willing to spend £35k for my "fixed requirements. For the cars I am looking at where I live, 2016 is hardly even any discount... literally £3'000 https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...st=2&trans=21&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2016

Which goes to show that we know nothing about the car market in your area of the world, so whatever normally sensible suggestions people have are seemingly irrelevant.

Just buy your Golf and be done with it.

Caporegime
OP
Two classes below is a bit of an overstatement, interior quality wise a Golf 7 is better than an F30 (the... class below). I've had an F30 for a while, we have an Octavia Mk3 in the family and overall the Skoda is much better screwed together, even if some aspects are a bit more utilitarian.

Squeaks, rattles, tyre roar, wind noise - all are better in the Skoda. The Golf came out in 2013 with volumes actually selling in 2014, whilst the 5 Series came out in late 2016 with volumes sold in 2017. Hardly 6 years between the new platforms, more like 3. ;)

Don't get me wrong, the 5 is a much better built car than a Golf, this is absolutely normal - but it's not really comparable price wise either.

A 340i won't be better built than a 320i unfortunately. but I also think you should buy the cheapest Golf R you can find and save yourself from throwing money for no benefit whatsover. There's no difference between a 2014 Golf R and 2017 one, but there is quite a bit of difference between a 2017 Golf R and a 2017 540i. Or a S4 Avant.
Thank you for being a voice of reason, I will take your advice into account and in the end I am certainly looking to buy the cheapest car that fits my requirements and gets me the kit I want for the next few years. I have £35k to spend and have no problem spending up to this, but clearly I don't want a car that will plummet in value either. :)

Which goes to show that we know nothing about the car market in your area of the world, so whatever normally sensible suggestions people have are seemingly irrelevant.

Just buy your Golf and be done with it.
I was looking for suggestions on models to check out and I have had some good ones that I will now research. Don't be a pleb with all of the "Just go and buy your Golf" passive aggressive nonsense and instead just refrain from posting if it bothers you so much. :p

EDIT - Also thanks to those who contributed in a normal way and I shall now go for some test drives and see what I think. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's really quite hard for a UK based forum to give credible advice about used cars in foreign markets as nobody knows the market well enough.

Caporegime
Thank you for being a voice of reason, I will take your advice into account

I was looking for suggestions on models to check out and I have had some good ones that I will now research. Don't be a pleb with all of the "Just go and buy your Golf" passive aggressive nonsense and instead just refrain from posting if it bothers you so much. :p

The thing is all the advice is wasted as you live in a different country. For starters a 1 year old Golf R is mid twenties so anything we recommend at 35k if more than likely 45k in your area.

Back
Top Bottom