Looking for an AWD high performance practical estate... Golf R?

Caporegime
Two classes below is a bit of an overstatement, interior quality wise a Golf 7 is better than an F30 (the... class below). I've had an F30 for a while, we have an Octavia Mk3 in the family and overall the Skoda is much better screwed together, even if some aspects are a bit more utilitarian.

It is not an overstatement. The Golf's comparison is a 1 series. Passat is a 3 series and the 5 series is above both. What your opinion is not fact but an opinion. Whether the Golf 7 is better screwed together than a 3 series is BMW's problem but it is still a class below the 3 series.

dod

dod

Soldato
Ive got an R estate without adaptive suspension. Practical, fastish, nice enough inside (not as nice as the audi I tried but nicer than the BMW) little bit loud, I don't find it harsh at all even on our roads up here in the North of Scotland. Economy is surprisingly good if you drive it sensibly and let's face it, most of the time you have to. The false sound is terrible though.

I'd probably rather have had the S4 avant but I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out.

Associate
C43 estate?

This. I was looking for a new car for a long....long time. A Golf R was always top of the list because it ticked most boxes (for me) but I dislike the image that Golf R's now have due to all the cheap lease deals that were out there. I then moved on to wanting a 340i Touring but the F31 is now end of life and I think dealers are still asking too much for a run out model (£35k+ in most cases for lightly used examples).

I didn't know the C43 existed until fairly recently. Test drove one, loved the sound, performance, step up in interior quality (I was coming from a Focus ST), so I bought one. 7 weeks later and I still love it. Yes, the fuel economy is rubbish around town (but it can easily do 34mpg on a motorway run which is better than the ST managed) and Yes, I know it's not a V8 but I'm happy with the V6 and the performance is more than enough for most people's needs. The only downside so far is that the suspension is very firm, even in Comfort mode. All reviews say you must get the performance exhaust but I have the stock exhaust and I'm happy enough with it for my first V6. Look at the Youtube video by Remove Before Race - in the damp/wet, these things are quicker than a C63 off the line due to the traction from the 4matic system.

You may need to compromise slightly on some of your "requirements" because the list you gave basically says "I've specced a Golf R, should I buy one?"

nam

nam

Soldato
The Original 2014 R standard suspension was a lot firmer, the revised standard R suspension in the 2016 became softer. I would say the R without adaptive is fine. I currently have the 2018 S4 without adaptive and it is actually a softer and better ride then my 2016 R estate.

Ive got an R estate without adaptive suspension. Practical, fastish, nice enough inside (not as nice as the audi I tried but nicer than the BMW) little bit loud, I don't find it harsh at all even on our roads up here in the North of Scotland. Economy is surprisingly good if you drive it sensibly and let's face it, most of the time you have to. The false sound is terrible though.

I'd probably rather have had the S4 avant but I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out.

Caporegime
OP
Well thanks for all the opinions guys I checked out a lot of your suggestions but in the end I think the VAGs fit me best. I am off to look at a Cupra 300 next week as for the money they look pretty damn good and are not significantly worse than a Golf in terms of interior quality. Reviews are pretty much universally awesome too, other than moaning about the fiddly touchscreen satnav.

Found a nice example here with 3.5 years warrant left www.autoscout24.ch/5921245

Only mentioning it because nobody else has - vRS 245? Those remap to circa 300bhp.

The Superb 280 is no slouch either.
Unfortunately I think they look like boxes on wheels, and I HATE the aesthetics of the segmented front headlights, annoys me every time I look at them. :(

Caporegime
OP
Leon CUPRA ST? Not sure if they're all 4Drive or if it's just the new ones, but worth a look.

Well guys, an update. After reading all of the sage advice here, looking at various brands and model of car and in the end was (as suspected) umm’ing and ahh’ing between the Golf R Estate (GRE) and the Leon ST Cupra 300 (ST300). I went to see them both at a dealer and wow... I was blown away by the looks of the ST300 which imo looks lovely and far better than either the GRE (which looks like a bit of a plain and tubby barge in comparison) or even the hatchback version of the Leon Cupra 300. The interior is 'acceptable', seats are very comfy, and the sound system is surprisingly good. The boot space is very practical with the ski hatch and the seats are a doddle to fold down for when I shift stuff on IKEA trips.

However, it was when I test drove it that I realised how special this car is. The steering is extremely precise and responsive to compliment the grip and there was none of the sponginess to the brake and accelerator that I experienced in my friends Audi A3. When I put my foot down in the areas that allowed it? Holy crap, it shifts! What is even more impressive is that the ST300 seemed just as happy tootling around town in traffic as it was cruising along on a motorway, the DSG box is smooth and the cabin noise was surprisingly low to the point where me and my friend who joined me were both impressed. Lets just say that when I got back to the dealer with it I was grinning like a loon and made a mental commitment to get the car.

After realising I also get a 13% work discount the dealer has now offered me a brand new 2018 model, in Perineos grey, fully loaded with everything but the kitchen sink and a 5 year warranty and service package, for a couple of grand more than the price of a 12-18 month old example.

Yes I could have have gone for an older BMW (or insert other 'prestige' brand here) and had a "respectable badge" in the eyes of the masses, but I know what I like when I see it and the ST300 ticks pretty much all of my boxes; I know it will be a great match to my needs for the next couple of years of mountains, skiing and road trips.

Thanks for all of the advice in the thread and if anything changes, or if I hopefully do get it in the next couple of months, I will update here. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
How you getting on with it?

Just bagged myself a 24 month contract hire deal for the Seat Cupra ST 4Drive for less than £300 a month.

Not sure if going from a 2013 530D estate might be a bit of a come-down.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato

Just bagged myself a 24 month contract hire deal for the Seat Cupra ST 4Drive for less than £300 a month.

I think a 300bhp 4 wheel drive hot estate wil be more fun than a diesel repmobile :p

Caporegime
OP

I pick it up in a couple of week so still really excited to get it! Congrats on the car, and I think it may be a slight step down in terms of "perceived quality" but otherwise the tech and drive will likely be far superior. What year and colour did you get? :)

PS: This video always makes me smile... she absolutely loves the car, watch her grin and how happy she is. :D

nice OP,

now go spend a few quick at Revo and chase 500 bhp :)

Hah nah I think my insurance is enough as it is, thanks! :p

Caporegime
They only had Grey or Black so I went with Black

If I had more of a choice I'd have gone for the blue. Also slightly annoying they don't stick the 7 speed DSG in these when it's in the Golf 310 R Estate, but that's likely VW politics for you.

I'm hoping it's the new one with the digital cockpit, though I do not like those new coloured SEAT badges.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
They only had Grey or Black so I went with Black

If I had more of a choice I'd have gone for the blue. Also slightly annoying they don't stick the 7 speed DSG in these when it's in the Golf 310 R Estate, but that's likely VW politics for you.

I'm hoping it's the new one with the digital cockpit, though I do not like those new coloured SEAT badges.
Actually the 2019 Cupra does have the DSG7 speed... so you likely got a 2018 model like me. Black also looks nice! Anyway my genuine feeling is that the DSG7 speed does not bring any tangible benefits in a car like this... it just means longer ratios and that the power is there when you need it. The DSG7 has a reputation for switching down a gear at inopportune moments.

During my test drive I was genuinely flabbergasted at how responsive the gearbox was, especially combined with the precise steering and all-round responsiveness. It is a great car to drive and imo the best looking estate there is in its class.

Register on the Seatcupra forum, it has loads of good info https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?forums/leon-mk3.309/ :)

Back
Top Bottom