Looking for Android/windows phone - cheap but good...

Associate
Hi
I don't actually know anything about android or windows phones but i need to purchase a butch on phones with the following items:
  • Run on windows or Android OS.
  • They must be touch screens phones
  • They must be on pay-as-you-go
  • They must have GPS (or at least a kind of it)
  • They must be able run navigation applications smoothly.
  • They must able to last at least 6 hours a day using gps.
  • They must be cheap :)

Basically I need to run a GPS application on them, but its for a once off project which is for a non-profit organisation.

I tried using an HTC diamond phone but the application would just not work very well - I'm not sure if it was the phone (being 2nd hand or the application).

Thank you

Associate
Out of all the Android phones i've had GPS killed the battery. 6 hours may be pushing it if GPS is on all day.

I'm sure others might be able to recommend a phone that might last.

Man of Honour
I don't think you are going to get that kind of battery life when using the GPS so much.

Look at the Nokia Lumia 710.

Associate
I don't think you are going to get that kind of battery life when using the GPS so much.

Look at the Nokia Lumia 710.

I think the Lumia 710 ticks pretty much all of those boxes, I am liking mine. Not sure the battery is going to last though running GPS for 6hrs daily, in a powered car mount it should be fine.

Soldato
Have a look at the Orange Monte Carlo - cheap and has a large 4.3 inch screen which I assume will be useful if you are using it for GPS in a vehicle. As Robbo says though, good luck with finding a phone that can last 6 hours battery using constant GPS, you'll need some power.

Associate
I dont think the Lumia 710 can be beat on performance at that price point Nokia also includes free sat nav that can be used fully offline saving on battery as you can turn off data. It also has a removable battery so if not using it in a car with a charger you can take a spare battery to swap in if you get low on juice.

Associate
2nd hand Dell Streak? Loads around, they are easy to unlock and root for custom firmware, I have mine running "Gingerstreak 2.4.4" and custom version of Android 2.3.3.

I was after downsizing my 10" tablet to a 7" for use in the car, but went for the 5" Streak instead. The 5" screen is excellent for use as a sat nav, I use Sygic satnav software and find it excellent.

Wouldn't 6hours be a big ask of ANY phone with constant sat nav use? Any reason why you can't plug it in?

Associate
Lumia 710 is £130. That has a great Nokia Navigation on there and I last read they are updating it to include offline navigation (was online only when I was in Spain back in January).

Think it's hard to find a handset that will last a full 6 hours on GPS though. My Lumia 800 got less than 3 hours so I had to get a car charger :(

Or buy a spare battery!

Soldato
Or £129.95 at CPW as a new purchase, plus £10 for a SIM card loaded with credit.
Been playing with mine today, great phone.

Associate
Or £129.95 at CPW as a new purchase, plus £10 for a SIM card loaded with credit.
Been playing with mine today, great phone.

I've got my 710 setup to do pretty much everything I need now. The range of apps seems pretty decent. I have just been using free apps so far and they seem more than adequate for my needs. I like Reader2go fo accessing my Google Reader RSS feeds, Pilot weather seems good for accessing airport weather metars and Tunein radio is just as good as the Android/BB versions.

Back
Top Bottom