Looking for DSLR with vari angle LCD

Associate
I've had load of a panny lumix G2 which i've found to be ok but doesn't quite give me the quality i'm after. However as I do a lot of tripod close up work what I have become rather attached to is the vari angle LCD screen. It has a side hinge so it can be flipped out and rotated so you can sit along side the camera and have the lcd facing towards you, essentially at 90 degrees to the camera body

So what I'm looking for is a cannon or Nikon that can offer me the same thing. I think the D5000 has this but not too sure The canon 60D appears to have a hinge at the side but can't see any pictures of it with the screen rotated round. i'd like to keep the budget between £400 and £800 if possible

So help me out guys and girls

Gangster
Associate
Just brought a canon 600d today it comes with a variable angle LCD. Handles great much better than my previous canon 450d. Would recommend it

You upgraded from a 450D to a 600D? LOL.
Both cameras built like a toy. ;)

How much did you pay for the 600D? £600? FAIL

To the OP, do NOT buy the 600D.
The Rebel/Kiss/XXXD cameras do not hold their value. This time next year you will be able to buy the same camera for less than £300.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

The Rebel/Kiss/XXXD cameras do not hold their value. This time next year you will be able to buy the same camera for less than £300.

So what do i buy then?

I appreciate that with all technology it will be cheaper next year, or next month for that matter.

Soldato

Don't you have a 500D...?

@OP; Try out the Canon 60D, they're around the £650 mark body only.

Soldato
It's bigger so it will be more comfortable to use
Better viewfinder
5.3fps vs 3.7fps
Larger buffer
Faster max shutter
Rated to 100,000 shots compared to 50,000
Much longer battery life
Better autofocus

Last edited:
Soldato

What an absolutely stupid comment. :rolleyes:

I'd say go and try as many as possible but also remember that there are other manufacturers on the market other than Canon & Nikon.

The DSLR market is now more about which body you prefer in terms of handling imo, as image quality, noise control, video quality, accessories are all pretty much in line with each manufacturer.

Man of Honour
Nikon D5000: 2.7" tilt & swivel LCD + can be had for around ~£500

Don't do it,, I mean it's a good camera but it's surely due for replacement soon now. The D5100 will likely pretty much be the D3100 with a swivel screen I imagine. You could argue for not much more the 600D is a better camera (but then for not much more than that the 60D is better etc etc)

Soldato

They are at the budget end, so smaller and built with cheaper materials, however there is a massive market for them. So clearly Canon\Nikon etc. know a lot more than you in this regard. A technology item gets cheaper... welcome to the real world, that's how things are! :) The 500D has been out for nigh on two years and still hasn't hit half the value of its rrp.

Associate
Totally understand where the 600d sits in the large DSLR market, i upgraded because it fitted better in my hand than my previous and i liked the idea of the flip out screen. I didnt want to spend more than the £659 in paid for. Im not a professional photographer but love taking pictures when out an about on holiday.

As for the quality of it, yes it is much better in my opinion. Yes you can pay more but thats life there is always something bigger and better out there. You just need to have a figure in your head on what you want to pay.

Associate
OP
Pretty much narrowed it down to 60D or 600D but finding it hard to choose. There seems to be a bout £60 in it for body only which isn't much when you consider it as a % of the total outlay.

So the way I see it is the 60 is better but older and the 600 is not as well spec'd but has newer technology

So guys which to go for???

Soldato
In your case I'd probably go for the 60D, it is the next model up in terms of performance and features. It is built better, but has slightly lower specs. However, re: the comments about don't get a 600D take it with a pinch of salt. 600D is still a fine camera, and if you choose it you won't be disappointed. The lines are a lot more blurred between XXD and XXD bodies these days

Associate
OP
In your case I'd probably go for the 60D, it is the next model up in terms of performance and features. It is built better, but has slightly lower specs. However, re: the comments about don't get a 600D take it with a pinch of salt. 600D is still a fine camera, and if you choose it you won't be disappointed. The lines are a lot more blurred between XXD and XXD bodies these days

I'm a bit confused. you say the 60D is better performance and features but is a lower spec?

I'm probably being dim.

Don't suppose you could help with a few examples could you.

Caporegime
What an absolutely stupid comment. :rolleyes:

I'd say go and try as many as possible but also remember that there are other manufacturers on the market other than Canon & Nikon.

The DSLR market is now more about which body you prefer in terms of handling imo, as image quality, noise control, video quality, accessories are all pretty much in line with each manufacturer.

Except lens and flashes, ergo there isn't really any reason not to get a Nikon or Canon.
As you say yourself, the bodies all offer similar performance.

Nothing against the other manufactures, there just isn't any logical reason to choose them at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom