Looking for new car

Soldato
Hello,

At this current moment in time i am a unfortunate owner of a Citroen C2 1.4 Furio. Now this car is fine if you want to pop down the post office but for long journeys it's pretty damn useless. It guzzles fuel like nothing else and does about 30mpg! :/

I'm looking into getting a much better car that can handle long journeys fine and that is fairly cheap to run.

I've had my license for 2 years so i don't want a car that is in a high insurance group otherwise i won't be saving myself money.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cas. :)

Associate
I have no suggestions sorry.

But 30mpg from that car is down to you and nothing to do with the car, don't thrash it everywhere and you will soon see 50mpg.

Soldato
OP
I have no suggestions sorry.

But 30mpg from that car is down to you and nothing to do with the car, don't thrash it everywhere and you will soon see 50mpg.

Well that's what i thought so i did a little test and see how many i can get if i treat the car nicely.

.. i got an average of 35mpg...

Not much of a difference...

Soldato
Ouch, just FYI mine's a 2L turbo and if I'm nice I can scrape 40 on a run, 35 around the doors / A roads. :(

Focus as a next car? Mate has just got a 1.8TDi and while it won't set the world on fire, I can't actually fault it too much :o

Soldato
my gf has a 1.4 fiesta, 05 plate.

ive driven it a bit. one weekend we did essex to leicester to cheshire and then back etc

averaged 42mpg over the whole tank, and we went into and out of manchester a couple times too

Caporegime
I just averaged 37mpg from Edinburgh to Wolverhampton, with 3 hours worth of traffic. Thats in a 2.2. What are you doing to it?

Soldato
OP
It's not my driving as my girlfriend is saying that she can only get about 30mpg.

I do like the look of the Focus and the Fiesta so will have a look at them.

If i get a new car i will trade in my C2, which i should get about £3500 for it, so £4000 would probably be the amount i would pay.

Soldato
still working on it.

im up cheshire again this weekend. going to "detour" and see a green on in lancashire.

my psychological budget is increasing. is more than 30% higher than i originally set and im considering saloons... i want one so much!

Soldato
The book figure for that car is 47mpg combined so youshould see well into 50s on a long run.

Its broken or you're in 3rd rather than 5th on the motorway

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Trouble with slower cars is you have to thrash them so much more to get them to go anywhere.

I moved from a 1.9TD Xsara and whilst I could get it to do 45mpg+ I often avereaged 340 miles to £50. I now have a 167bhp 2L petrol Xsara VTS doing the same journies and I get about 320 miles to £50. Insurance isn't even much more either, makes me wonder why I put myself through diesel ownership for a year!

Back
Top Bottom