• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for new GPU £3/400 budget.

Associate
Hi im looking to upgrade my gpu. My current system is as follows

Ryzen 5 3600x
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 EX 8192MB GDDR5

I recently upgraded my system but kept the old gpu which i now have a budget to replace. I have a 1080p freesync 75hz monitor. Am not really looking at 4k gaming but may go to 1440p 144hz.

Im looking to get the best settings on current games, and looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077

Ive a budget between £300 - 400 for the GPU.

If someone could recomend somethign that would be great. Also if there might be another bottleneck in the system please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Brian.

Associate
If your games are running fine, you could wait until Cyberpunk's launch in September before purchasing a new GPU. It looks likely that AMD and Nvidia will be launching new models around that time

Associate
OP
If your games are running fine, you could wait until Cyberpunk's launch in September before purchasing a new GPU. It looks likely that AMD and Nvidia will be launching new models around that time

Someone allways comes in with the voice of reason. But atm, some games are running a bit chuggy Control and GhostRecon Wildlands immediatly spring to mind.

Ill keep an eye open.

One last thing i never thought to mention, my PSU is 650 watt, will that be enough, how do you even work that stuff out.

Associate
Someone allways comes in with the voice of reason. But atm, some games are running a bit chuggy Control and GhostRecon Wildlands immediatly spring to mind.

Ill keep an eye open.

One last thing i never thought to mention, my PSU is 650 watt, will that be enough, how do you even work that stuff out.

650W, assuming it's a good quality unit, will be totally fine. There's some calculators online where you can input your components and get an estimate, but Nvidia's (and I presume AMD's) product pages for their GPUs mention a recommended PSU wattage. Even the 2080Ti, their most power-hungry consumer card, recommends a 650W PSU, so it'll be fine for any of the GPUs mentioned in this thread and likely unreleased ones too.

Soldato
I had a look at Wildlands review numbers. The 5700xt will give you that bump you are looking for. It gives out better numbers at 1440p compared to the 1070 at 1080p. If you want smoothness though the 5700xt is still a 1080p card on the Ultra preset but so are cards such as the 2070 Super and 2080 maybe even the 2080 super. Basically Wildlands on the Ultra preset is a gpu killer.

It's not really a buyers market but if buying for Wildlands Nvidia have nothing better until you get up around £7-800. You were getting decent 5700xt's for £350-400 not so many months back so its upto you whether you think it's worth it.

Here is a few charts and see if it's worth it to you

Control

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5600-xt-red-dragon/10.html

Wildlands

Scroll down page for this one.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-review-head-to-head-with-nvidia-super?page=3

Last edited:
Soldato
Not worth paying 300-400 for a new gpu from a 1070, the jump in performance isn't there. For Cyberpunk in particular it's better to wait and see if it has DLSS at launch. That WOULD give you a nice boost and make it worthwhile to get an RTX GPU. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Soldato
Not worth paying 300-400 for a new gpu from a 1070, the jump in performance isn't there. For Cyberpunk in particular it's better to wait and see if it has DLSS at launch. That WOULD give you a nice boost and make it worthwhile to get an RTX GPU. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Probably an unpopular idea, but from what I hear GeForce Now will function with Cyberpunk 2077 on launch. It'd be worth it for a lot of people to wait until the launch and try it via that, I'd assume all the bells and whistles will be available assuming people have a chunky enough broadband connection.

Worth considering before putting down a lot of money on a GPU for a game that might not even need it.

I'd rather have the physical hardware, don't get me wrong, but I'd be happy to use it as a test to see how much I'd be willing to spend on said hardware.

Soldato

I do agree that i wouldn't jump on anything new atm given new cards are hopefully as close as September/October but the 5700xt is 47% faster at 1080p and 53% at 1440p which is nothing to sniff at if he can't wait. I get the feeling a lot of people here think the gap is way smaller but seems to be growing as time goes on. Got these %'s from Techpowerups average numbers over there whole game suite.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5600-xt-red-dragon/28.html

Soldato
5700/5700XT is a good buy now I think there will be an awful lot of disappointed people with money burning a hole in their pocket who can't buy the new GPU's due to no stock. It happens every time (que the moaners) and its going to be 100 times worse this time round in Q4 2020

Associate
If your 1070 still performs well enough for you I'd probably wait and save up a bit more, £3-400 on a new gpu wont get you much of an upgrade, definately not enough for best settings at 1440p.

Associate
Tough one. A 50% boost is nothing to sniff at and I was certainly impressed with that sort of jump when I went to a 1080 Ti from a 980 Ti a couple of years ago. If you can wait then do so, otherwise a 5700 XT is a great card, if a little expensive right now as are most cards in the current climate.

Back
Top Bottom