Looking for opinions - 42 years old looking to get back into IT

Soldato
I currently work from home with my wife in a non-IT related business, but I'm starting to think about other options.
I used to be a developer in the UK 10 years ago (asp, vbscript, SQL) for around 4 years but haven't really done anything since. I've been recently dabbling with Python and Javascript and I intend to learn more Javascript including NodeJS, ReactJS, etc.
It's probably not going to come to anything but would my age be a problem if we decided to return to the UK in a couple of years assuming I was pretty good at Javascript and associated frameworks, etc. and had projects on github, contributed to open source, and maybe a bit of freelance experience under my belt?

Also what's the UK like for remote jobs these days? Is it getting more common or not?

Any opinions are useful, even if they put my mind at ease and we carry on as we are! (Which isn't bad!)

Soldato
I wouldnt have thought so. It's not like you're in your 60's. So you still have a long working life left.

I think the bigger issue would be the length of time away from the industry but as long as you have a decent answer (drinking lots of cognac won't count) you should be ok.

Soldato
Your age wont be a problem. 42 is still young!

As for getting back in to development, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but be prepared to go to many interviews before someone takes you on.

Also technical tests. As long as you show them you know your stuff eventually someone will take you on.

My suggestion is get coding in your spare time that way you are sharp when it comes to the tests.

Back
Top Bottom