Looking to buy a Herman Miller

Associate
Hi guys

I’ve been having back/backside issues for a while now whilst sitting in front of the PC and am looking to invest in a really good chair and the only brand I’ve seen again and again for this kind of issue is Herman Miller.

I really don’t have over £1000 to buy a brand new Aeron, as much as I would love too, so I’ve been looking on the 2ndhnd website that I heard about from these forums. They don’t sell the remastered Aeron’s, only the classics but I’m wondering if it is worth me buying a second hand classic? Will it do the same job as the remastered? Obviously I’ll have less features and it won’t look as good but will it still be practical? Is the lumbar support still good on the classics?

I’m from Belfast and don’t think there is any showrooms where I could test this chair so I need to ask around the internet I guess. I read some other people on here getting really good deals on the Aeron remastered but I don’t think that will happen for me. If there was somewhere that offered a BNPL offer it might be more considerable but..

Any Aeron users out there with some knowledge, please give some help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought from 2ndhnd - don't really rate them. My Humanscale went dodgy within warranty, replacement was a pain to organise, and the seat depth mechanism was bust on the replacement, but told me they wouldn't replace it.

There's a guy local to me that refurbishes Herman Millers - I could probably get his contact details if you wanted to chat? Not sure what he'd charge for delivery, however

Associate
I bought a brand new Herman Miller from 2back, based in London. Not sure if they would ship to Belfast as they use their own delivery drivers to deliver. Got an excellent deal on an Aeron, with posture support and hard floor castors. Might be worth a phone call to them, if you do ask for Ted as he did me a good deal of £750 all in - but I did go to the store and order it in person.

Associate
Hi guys

I’ve been having back/backside issues for a while now whilst sitting in front of the PC and am looking to invest in a really good chair and the only brand I’ve seen again and again for this kind of issue is Herman Miller.

I really don’t have over £1000 to buy a brand new Aeron, as much as I would love too, so I’ve been looking on the 2ndhnd website that I heard about from these forums. They don’t sell the remastered Aeron’s, only the classics but I’m wondering if it is worth me buying a second hand classic? Will it do the same job as the remastered? Obviously I’ll have less features and it won’t look as good but will it still be practical? Is the lumbar support still good on the classics?

I’m from Belfast and don’t think there is any showrooms where I could test this chair so I need to ask around the internet I guess. I read some other people on here getting really good deals on the Aeron remastered but I don’t think that will happen for me. If there was somewhere that offered a BNPL offer it might be more considerable but..

Any Aeron users out there with some knowledge, please give some help.

Thanks

I use HM chairs at home and work. embody and mirra 2. Both great and have helped improve my posture and reduce back pain. Don't buy a Aeron though, you may aswell buy an overpriced fake leather gaming chair the aeron is a outdated design now and isnt very ergonomic.

Embody is a thing of beauty and mesh is great for sitting on for long periods, expecially in the summer.

Associate
OP
@Spils Have you had any experience with second hand embodys? I can just about justify spending £1100 on an Aeron, I think £1400 would be a bit much for me tbh.. there’s a remastered version of the Aeron but what about the Embody? Are they all the same or is there a newer version I should be looking for?

I see plenty of second hand Embodys on eBay between £500-700. I actually found a show room in Belfast (there’s only one showroom in N.I) and I’m going down next week to test the chairs out.

Associate
@Spils Have you had any experience with second hand embodys? I can just about justify spending £1100 on an Aeron, I think £1400 would be a bit much for me tbh.. there’s a remastered version of the Aeron but what about the Embody? Are they all the same or is there a newer version I should be looking for?

I see plenty of second hand Embodys on eBay between £500-700. I actually found a show room in Belfast (there’s only one showroom in N.I) and I’m going down next week to test the chairs out.

Should'nt be any issues, they are not like the overpriced gaming chairs. Think mine came with something like a 10-year warranty they are built to an extrmely high standard. My one at home as got to be getting on for 5-6 years old now. Still as good as the day I purchased it.

Go try one out. I would definatly recommend it. Its completly diffferent to some recaro rip off chair, they are designed to be sat in for very long periods. Its a different kind of comfy compared to say my sofa at home. But the sofa allows me to slouch and after a few hours my backs messed up.

Associate
Also chap you don't have to spend HM money to get a very good chair. We have loads of steelcase leap v2 at work these can be had for around £200-250 and are very good. Steelcase do some very good chairs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info on the HM Spils, I’m booked in for next Thursday to try them so we’ll see then :)

EDIT: Any other suggestions on steelcase chairs or just the leap? Can you sit over 4-6 hours in them comfortably?

Soldato
I really don’t have over £1000 to buy a brand new Aeron,

I really don't think the Aeron X is particularly suitable. I got one with a high back, an Embody.

I see plenty of second hand Embodys ... and I’m going down next week to test the chairs out.

Good move. The Embody has a number of adjustments that can be made and they can turn the chair from hell to heaven - and vice versa! You may require a little help to get it right.

Associate
I get that people hate when companies use the term "Gaming" in chair description its off putting and many will turn their noses up at it. But i recently purchased a secret lab titan to be fair they don't put gaming in it i believe. But that aside its a really good chair sorted my posture out to no end. I still get back issues but not as bad as the cheap gaming chair i did have where you could feel the steel poking in your sides or not being able to move your legs apart *Not sharron stone.

Its a shame there isn't a try before you buy store for chairs would make the world of difference to some.

Associate
OP
@Quartz I’ve heard they can take some adjusting to get it right.. Is there some sort of guide to aid with this?

But i recently purchased a secret lab titan
I spent quite a while looking up reviews of the Secretlabs Omega last night with the Softweave fabric. It’s the only “gaming” chair that looks really comfortable IMO! But then I read some things on Reddit about it actually being very stiff after weeks and weeks of use still. I agree it would be so useful if there was a convenient way of testing all these chairs.

Associate
@Quartz I’ve heard they can take some adjusting to get it right.. Is there some sort of guide to aid with this?

I spent quite a while looking up reviews of the Secretlabs Omega last night with the Softweave fabric. It’s the only “gaming” chair that looks really comfortable IMO! But then I read some things on Reddit about it actually being very stiff after weeks and weeks of use still. I agree it would be so useful if there was a convenient way of testing all these chairs.
Had it two weeks been faultless and very comfy i like the lumbar support control the most. I researched for a couple of weeks look at people who had owned it for 1yr plus and they claim its still going strong with no issues so that made my mind up. Glad i went with it really not a fan of PU leather but at an extra £40 for fabric i felt that a bit cheeky when the chairs are £349 alone.

Associate
OP
Had it two weeks been faultless and very comfy i like the lumbar support control the most.
I was pretty bummed that the lumbar support control only comes with the Titan and not the Omega.. I think the Titan would be a bit too big for me, honestly I could have seen myself going for the Omega if it had that.

Associate
I use HM chairs at home and work. embody and mirra 2. Both great and have helped improve my posture and reduce back pain. Don't buy a Aeron though, you may aswell buy an overpriced fake leather gaming chair the aeron is a outdated design now and isnt very ergonomic.

Embody is a thing of beauty and mesh is great for sitting on for long periods, expecially in the summer.
didn't like the mirra armrests tbh. other than that pretty nice. I like forward tilt.

Also chap you don't have to spend HM money to get a very good chair. We have loads of steelcase leap v2 at work these can be had for around £200-250 and are very good. Steelcase do some very good chairs.
finding leap new proved impossible for me. is it easier to find second hand?

Associate
I was pretty bummed that the lumbar support control only comes with the Titan and not the Omega.. I think the Titan would be a bit too big for me, honestly I could have seen myself going for the Omega if it had that.
Define big? I mean i am 6ft and 100kg it supports 130kg i believe which is why i opted for it to give some room incase i suddenly gain 30kg :D

Its great as you can just stretch yourself out on it and chill.
Ikea do a chair thats £160 i forgot the name but its supposed to be fairly robust and comfy for long sitting on your bum sessions.

I don't think any chair can really help if you sit on it for extended periods though sooner or later its going to be numb bum time.

Associate
OP
I tried out the Aeron and the Mirra today.. I didn't like the Mirra armrests but damn... The Aeron felt dreamy, so comfy! I actually prefered the classic Aeron with the older style horizontal lumbar support, it felt a lot more solid like I actually felt it on my back compared to the newer verticle lumbar support.

They didn't have the Embody in unfortunately.

I REALLY am tempted to buy of 2ndhnd, the reviews look good on trustpilot.. Has anyone else got any experience with them? I need to hear some good stories about them before I buy lol

Associate
I tried out the Aeron and the Mirra today.. I didn't like the Mirra armrests but damn... The Aeron felt dreamy, so comfy!

I found the Aeron much better for me that the Mirra also. I did find the Embody quite comfortable, but like you found the Aeron best. I've got the new Posturefit lumbar support - i.e. the vertical one you described. I think they are interchangeable....?

Back
Top Bottom